Lightning

Any "sport truck" kills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2000 | 02:43 AM
|
Wink Any "sport truck" kills?

I was checking out LS1.com and I stumbled all the way to the bottom of the page and found the "LS1 Truck" forum and it dawned on me that I haven't read any "sport truck" kills other than the occassional "Extreme"-ly slow here. Anyone run anything remotely cool. I myself ran a few Dodge boys last weekend(check out the post "Beat Down Dodge Day") and was wondering if anyone else has had an intresting kills ???
Same day as the Dodges,I caught up to an S-10 w/ a HUGE scoop, a winged toneau,nice loud exhaust,and what appeared to be big gauges up the door panel.I reved my engine, he did like wise and I jumped and he did nothing! I slowed,he rolled up next to me and put his window and appoligized for being STOCK! He was all show,no go! I laughed my a$$ off! I'm sorry,but I had to pass that along.
Hitman

[This message has been edited by Hitman31 (edited 03-04-2000).]

Old 03-04-2000 | 01:58 PM
Those guys **** me off. They go around looking all tough (fast) but my wifes saturn could probably take them! I think those are the 'best' kills. It really puts them in thei place!

Old 03-04-2000 | 06:43 PM
Actually most truck owners, including raised Chevys, give me respect when they see me. It's usually the "sport car" type that are curious how fast I really am that dare mess . . .

Favorite "kiss my a**" type kills for me will always be the super suped up, tailgating rice burners, I think part of my mission is to put them in their place. I am constantly amazed by how far these kids will go to make a 4 cyl. economy car look like it's fast. There's a guy by my work who drives an Integra, stickers all over it, coffee can exhaust, DRAG RADIALS everyday (LOL), and guess what tops it all off? A nice shiny silver fire extinguisher mounted right up by the front windshield, in a 4 seater with a cloth interior. I ran into the guy one day, I asked him if he's seen my Lightning, then asked him if he would like to race sometime, he said he doesn't race anymore - oh okay.

I think it's one of those love/hate type relationships as they do provide a tasty snack in between real races.

MIKE

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Old 03-04-2000 | 07:04 PM
Talking

Well...this barely counts...but this is a cool story, anyway. As I've said before, I have a 2000 lightning on order...and that is driving me crazy, cuz I have never even seen a Lightning in person, let alone driven one...so I find this '99 still on a lot at a dealer about 40 miles from here, never sold. It has 125 miles on it, and is on thier showroom floor...so I run down to take a look at it. I had no idea they would be so hungry for a buyer. They wanted me bad...so I played hard to get, and they decided the only way to get me to buy it was to let me test drive it. They knew that would push me over the edge...so next thing I know...they are driving it out of the showroom, and handing me the keys. Me and the salesman breeze out of the parking lot, and the first impression I get is how huge the thing feels. The performance wasn't what I had expected...but it did feel GOOOOOD! I was driving on the freeway, and in my rear view mirror, I see a Chevy Silverado Z71 coming up behind at breakneck speed in the other lane. I'm doing about 65mph on the freeway with the car salesman at my side, and as the Z71 approaches us and gets about even with my back bumper, I lay the pedal to the floor, and the tranny shifts down twice. The truck wakes up and actually lifts about 6 inches! My head snaps back...the salesman's head snaps back, and I see him reach for the "oh sh*t" handle. I hear him say "GEEZ!" and I can see the silverado going the other direction in my rear view mirror, so I ease off a bit, and go back to standard cruise mode, now doing about 85. That's when I see the silverado punch it...it's some older guy, and a young boy, so I assume his son has egged him on to race. He again gets even with my rear bumper, and I lay ***** to the wall, roaring up out of our placid cruise like a raging bull bursting from the rodeo gates. The race is on...I can see the silverado creeping into my peripheral vision on my left, and I can see the car salesman clinging for his life to my right, and saying "Now wait a minute!!" I see a car ahead in our lane, so I press the pedal to its absolute paramount, and start quickly gaining ground on the silverado that is now about even with my front tire. I glance at the speedo, and see 100 swish past, but that doesn't slow my resolve. I continue racing towards the rear bumper of the car in our lane with a determination that would have made Hitler blush...the silverado Z71 is a distant memory in my side mirror, as my rear bumper eases ahead of his front bumper. I can see about 4 feet of roadway between me and the car ahead of me, so I flip on the blinker. I hear the salesman say something pointless like "good god almighty!" and I cut in front of the silverado. The pedal has not left the floor yet, and that brings my eyes to the speedo, which reads 120mph, so I figure its time for a "good race" thumbs up, and a gentle ease back to civilized demeanor. The silverado gave me a honk, and the young boy in the passenger seat had the side window pretty fogged up when I let them go past me about a half mile up the road. My very first "kill" and I dont even OWN a lightning yet. I looked over at the used car salesman that I remembered was in the cab with me, as he stared blankly forward with a slight sign of a grin on his lips. I looked ahead and saw a mustang in our lane...I eased into the fast lane, and pulled up to it...The salesman said something that I'll never forget. "Awwww...its just the V6." I replied "Never a GT when you need one." All in all, it was a good day! I Cant WAIT till mine gets here!!!! Silver Bullet, here I come!

------------------
AtomHeart
2000 Silver Lightnin' on order...
1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra R code w/ 3.91 dragpack
atomhart@cyberhighway.net

[This message has been edited by AtomHeart (edited 03-04-2000).]

Old 03-04-2000 | 08:34 PM
I'll bet that salesman was relieved to get back to the office (probably "relieved" right in his shorts!). And probably also a bit aggravated that you didn't buy the truck: "Put my a__ in jeapordy and then said NO!"

Good kill, and even funnier still because you don't have your truck yet. That must really bite hard. Be patient, it'll get there.

Keep the dirty side down.....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 12.857 @103.48
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 100 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars; Bassani headers;Goodrich T/A Drag Radials; Muth Signal Mirrors, Recieved today (2-22) Thanks Roger!

Old 03-04-2000 | 09:22 PM
Banned
AtomHeart,

Please give up your day job, and write for NCB Thursdays!

I thought my post where hilarious, um, now I guess I have a mentor!

Nice to meet ya.

Old 03-04-2000 | 10:31 PM
Heh...thanks...it was an "inspiring" incident, so I felt a colorful story would best recount the events of the day. Yeah, the dealer was a bit sore that I wasn't interested in the truck after that...the truck left the dealer with 125 miles on the odometer, and when we got back, it had 193. The dealer didn't wanna take no for an answer after that, but it was a '99 with swirls in the paint really bad, for $30,450. He was NUTS if he thought I was gonna buy that, when I have a 2000 on order for $30,710. Hehehe...I'll just have to patiently wait.

------------------
AtomHeart
2000 Silver Lightnin' on order...
1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra R code w/ 3.91 dragpack
atomhart@cyberhighway.net

Old 03-04-2000 | 11:13 PM
Banned
This is funny, but no one got it?

I know I'll get Flamed for this one.
My day started off with 2 hours of driving around and nothing, apparently no one wants to race or they don’t know that I’m driving a Lightning. Hum? I’ve only seen about 50 corvettes and LT1s so far; I think I’ll just go home.

So I make a left on Midway (just for DFW folks) South and what do I see waiting to go through the same light that I just turned on, a rice rocket with stickers, now I’m not down on Japanese cars, but why all the stickers? I’m tooling down Midway at 20 in a 45, just waiting for him to catch up.

Ah, here he comes headlights on, yellow fog lights on. I look ahead and lord and behold, the next light has turned red, no one in front of him or me. I’m now at the light, here he comes, 500 feet behind me now. I survey ahead, um 3 lanes in each direction, 10 foot median, 8 foot residential brick walls on both sides, nothing ahead for ½ mile. The god of tire smoke is looking down at me. This is unreal; I have just hit the lotto!

He’s now next to me, I tell myself, don’t spook the game, but instead he starts to rev his engine, oh no it sounds really mean, I ask myself do you really want to do this? My jerk factor comes on, I turn my head towards him and I start to laugh. Well dummy (me) you’re committed now! I notice that he’s still eyeing the Lightning logo and now he’s noticing me laughing at his car, I don’t think he appreciated this little visual comment of mine. Maybe I did spook the game?

Light turns green, off my opponent goes, ½ car lengths ahead, Homers brain turns on (me), time to nail it! Um, dummy you’re nailing it too much, homer responds back ya but we’re passing him while we’re spinning our tires! Homer is now in charge!

Rearview, at 40, he’s still to the right of me about 5 cars length behind, getting kind of busy now. Rearview at 60 maybe 7 car lengths behind now, I pull into the middle lane, I did this for my own safety (but I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this also). We’re at I guess 80 and he’s about 10 car lengths now, I would say we’re about a little more than ¼ mile until I would guess 80MPH max left hand turn. 100 now, hey, still about 10 car lengths, I’m not pulling him anymore, 1 or 2 more seconds go by and he’s 8 car lengths behind. Lucky for me its corner time and I slowly shut her down, rearview, the rice is really keeping cool, doesn’t do anything stupid. Now doing about 50 in a 40 and barely miss a stupid SUV in the middle of a corner (made a right without thinking) no big deal, rice changes lane blindly with me.

Come the next light, what else, he pulls into the first gas station with this look that could kill? I kind of wanted to tell him that I thought that he was a quite decent driver, considering what we just did.

After this I meet a new acquaintance/friend at hooters in Addison and tell my conquests to 5 persons at the table and nothing. So I just came here to vent.

A kill, but not a great one.

Old 03-05-2000 | 10:02 AM
Out here in my neck of the woods the only type of trucks you find are "all show but no go" but the other day I was coming home from work and a little s-10 followed me off the freeway, well he pulled up beside me and I noticed he had a big ol' tach. Then I noticed it was a syclone. Well I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity and at stop sign we reved and took off. He beat me a little on the take off but once the back tires dug in right I was off and beat him by three car lengths. He pulled up next to me and rolled down his window and said he was really impressed. Besides that I usually get all these GT's and rice burners trying me out, but no real comp out here.

Old 03-08-2000 | 05:05 PM
Talking

I haven't been able to catch any sport trucks while driving my L since I got it, but I did smoke a Dodge Magnum V8 Sport in my wife's SVT Contour a couple months ago. I wasn't looking for a race, but was rather just taking off in a spirited manner from a light, when this huge Dodge truck with two guys in it squeals the tires and zooms up and past me to the next light. I look over and the passenger looks at me, is smiling and laughing and high fives his buddy the driver. The driver starts revving a bit on his engine as we sit there, so I figure, hell, what do I have to lose? "Magnum V8 Sport Truck" vs. four door V6 grocery getter.

I rev a little back (SVT Contour sounds sweet), light goes green, got a good launch, he spun a bit, and I beat him up to 60 (a bit over the speed limit in town) and then leveled off with a few car lengths between us. He comes zooming by just in time to catch the light. He still thinks he won I guess, because they are celebrating their big victory.

I am now a little irritated by this guy and decide that to get rid of him, I have to beat him at his own game. I look over, rev a bit, give a nod and the light goes green. Another good launch, good shift into second, and I'm pulling away pretty good. This time I let it go over 70 as I come into the next light, still leading him by a few lengths. Light goes yellow and I lay down the brakes hard, stopping at the light. He lays on the brakes hard, gets a little loose in the rear end, lets off them, and runs the red light instead. I catch up to him at the next light and he makes a right turn on red.

Wish I could meet a Dodge truck in my L. I'm still waiting for it. Will post results when it happens.

------------------
Aaron Luck
'99 Red SVT Lightning
Superchip, Safe-t-stop, Ford soft tonneau cover, 6 disk changer, ford bedliner, CL III tow package, 15+ coats of Zaino

'00 Amazon Green SVT Contour
KKM Induction Kit, Superchip, 73mm MAF

'90 Cardinal Red 5.0 LX Convertible Mustang
Removed intake silencer

Old 03-08-2000 | 05:22 PM
Lightbulb

Between doing slow drags past the Chebbie dealer down the road, and smoking every kid in a noisy Chebbie truck running around the neighborhood, I can't get any of the Dodge boys around here to give it a try. Not even the R/T's in my local area will make eye contact w/me when I pull up next to them at a light.

I have to be satisfied mashing Mustangs, creaming Camaros, and fogging Firebirds in Goodyear smoke (you really thought I would go there?). That's all the red meat Beastie's been getting lately. Creamed Camaro, and mashed Mustang just aren't very satisfying for the Black Beast, she wants something she can take a bite out of. Firebird's? The only ones Beastie will play with are WS-6's, and even they are just a mouth full for her.

I'm getting depressed, I didn't think it would be this short a time before I terrified the entire neighborhood!

I know, there's always someone faster, I just haven't found 'em yet!

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 12.857 @103.48
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 100 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars; Bassani headers;Goodrich T/A Drag Radials; Muth Signal Mirrors, Recieved today (2-22) Thanks Roger!

Old 03-08-2000 | 07:04 PM
Smile

This morning I had a race with a V8 Dakota, the previous shape. He was easily blown away, 3 or 4 times, but kept on coming back and trying again at the next light. I do not get tired easily, teaching someone a lesson like this, but then he started doing crazy things, like passing on the right shoulder on a 2 lane city street.

I let off and refused any more baiting.

To me there is an unspoken rule when racing on the street: all the normal traffic rules apply, except the speed limit. If the other person starts doing strange things just to win, I will let him go.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Rhino liner
Superchip
Underbody coating
Build # 627

Quick Reply: Any "sport truck" kills?