Lightning

Whos BSin' who?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000 | 01:55 PM
|
See page 92 of March Sport Compact Car. Article on '96 Supra Turbo, driven to and from the track, bolt on mods only, runs 8.72 @158. I think this would take care of your average Viper or Diablo. Not dynoed, h.p. estimate 885. From what I read the Supra motor is insanely strong. Pistons, crank, etc. do not have to be modified to accept high boost pressure. Read about another one in a different mag, don't recall which one, running 29 psi boost, est. 990 b.h.p., also driven to the track. So be careful when you pull up next to a Supra, you might be biting off more than you can chew. wonder what one of these puppies costs, used?

Guess I don't have to wonder any more. Found a '93 TT, 49K, claimed showroom condition, for $19,800. Tempting, but my L. has enough performance for me, plus with gas prices going up, and the cost of insurance on a car like that, I think I will just keep my Civic.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'92 Civic Si, Centerforce Dualfriction clutch, no front license plate.
"00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, no mods yet (JBA headers and Sal's filter kit on order.

P.S. Just got home from a little run with the new L. Stopped and took a friend of mine for a ride. He has a Supra Twin Turbo, stock except for air intake and cat back. Car runs 13.4 @ 108. He was greatly impressed with the Lightning, says even if he could beat it he would know he's been in a race.

alphadoggy@jetlink.net

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 03-08-2000).]

Old 03-08-2000 | 02:34 PM
Talking

That is one seriously fast Supra...and the best thing about it is that they claim to drive it to and from the track. That's MY kind of hot-rod. No trailer-queens (except on long trips).

Anyway, I've raced several GTS Vipers at the track as well as a couple of modified ZR-1s, I've raced several 911 TTs on the street. I'm sure they were both probably stock, but in my LX the races were no contest.

Yes, all those cars were "slow" considering what I was racing them in. Now, I didn't race them in top-speed...most of these were 1/4 mile races and the 911 TTs were so far back there at 140+, they gave up...and if they hadn't, I was slowing down anyway.

Before you think I'm full of "it", let me expound a bit. ;-)

You may know this, but take a car that runs 10.8 ET @ 135mph (round numbers are easier) and then take one that runs 12.0 ET @ 117mph (typical Viper, 911 TT).

Assume both cars take off at the same time.

At the end of the track the 135mph trap speed car is traveling 198' per second. The 117mph trap speed car is traveling 171' per second. For ease of comparison, let's just throw that out and assume they're both traveling the SAME distance per second (which they're not). 1.2 seconds at 198'per second is 237'. That isn't close...I'm sure you'll agree. With the cars averaging ~16' long, that's almost 15 car lengths. If someone is 15 car lengths behind me...they are considered "slow". It's not a slam in any way.

I'd hate to race that Supra. :-P

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-08-2000 | 02:54 PM
Red face

I stand corrected. ) Since you straightend out the Supra vs "Exotics" question,what about the Ls1 vs Supra question? I mean can the slighted modded Ls1 be taking these Modded Supras??? The debate rages? I am just waiting for the "my dad can beat up your dad" comment to fly.
Wes,I'm sure it's here somewhere,but what exactly have you done to your 5.0?!? I am quickly becoming a certifiable "speed freak",super freak I suppose,and the more I look around for fast cars the more tempted in certain ones I become. Granted I like unique autos(hence the L and Sy) but speed is speed .
Hitman

Old 03-08-2000 | 04:18 PM
Question

Wes,

As the proud owners of a 1997 Cobra convertible, would really like to know what you did to the 32V 4.6 to get it into the 12 second range.

Thanks,

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Lowered 3" front/5" rear, Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 03-08-2000 | 07:26 PM
Talking

Hitman and Chris,

You can find everything and more that you'd want to know about both my Mustangs on my webpage.

While a typical Mustang LX isn't unique at all, mine isn't close to being run of the mill...looks or power-wise. ;-) That car has been a labor of love. 586rwhp and its driven to and from the track...80 miles one way. No way I could list all the mods here, but suffice it to say there's nothing stock left on the car except the frame and sheetmetal.

I agree that "speed is speed", and part of building a hot-rod, IMO, is having something that's pretty easy to work on. A 5.0 Mustang is about as simple as a fuel-injected late model car gets, I think.

The Cobra has only a few mods. The biggest of which is a small shot of nitrous. It runs 13.3s/105 on motor and a tire-spinning 12.6/114+ on the bottle. Easy 11.9-12.0 car with some slicks.

Either of you guys are welcome to e-mail me anytime at Wa2fsT@aol.com if you think I can answer more questions.

Have a good one,

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-09-2000 | 12:14 AM
Question Whos BSin' who?

I check out Ls1.com(like a lot of us) to see what the competition is up to from time to time,in their "The one that didn't get away section" there was a link to mkiv.com(Supra TT page). Well I hopped on over and I can't believe that monkey crap that is being thrown around there! Kills on V12 Diablos/911 TT's/Vipers,virtually every "super car" under the sun! Now what I thought was really funny is that both Ls1 & mkiv are claiming lots of posts against one another. A lot of "I ran one...it was slow" type stuff. All the cars are modded(so they claim) but who really is telling the truth on these kills? You guys gotta' check this stuff out and let me know what ya' think.
Hitman

Quick Reply: Whos BSin' who?