Lightning

Lightning lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000 | 01:33 PM
|
Post Lightning lock

Hi guys,
While waiting for my 2000 L to get off the train, I've been reading comments like "saw rubber in the rear wheel wells" after the L is picked up from service shops.

Well my question is this: is there an easy and reverseable way to disable the power so that when some unauthorized 'person' tries to test the rear tire adhesion all they get is the power of a Pinto, or worse a Camaro?

Can you take the belt off the S/C and run the engine w/o problems? Can you pull out a fuse or relay to disable a bank of cylinders?

I remember reading that the special edition of the Corvette a few years back(ZR-1) had a power disabling switch which cut out a cylinders basically a "Ferris Bueller" switch.

Thanks for your input.

Franko

Old 03-08-2000 | 02:32 PM
Taming the savage beast? Hmmm...

Trick is, not to let anybody touch it...

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps, clear corner lenses, tow package, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost gauge, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w. subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt...Lightning9.jpg
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 03-08-2000 | 03:28 PM
Cool

If you get one of the chips(either) you can have a "valet" mode on one setting, performance on the other. Locate it out of sight and flip to "valet" for the idiots that think they can abuse your baby when you get out of sight. I had mine into a dealer for the dreaded "front end clunk", something all dealers are(or should be) aware of on F150's. It's basically a parking lot/driveway phenomenon. As I'm walking around the dealer lot checkin' out the Mustangs/4X4's etc. I watch MY Lightning head on out and into traffic. A$$hole tech! Went back in and raised unholy hell with the front desk...big deal. Gonna try to avoid that dealer in the future.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,
#0975,
Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99
SuperChip,
PSP Filter,
Water Wetter,
13.498@102.69

Old 03-08-2000 | 04:32 PM
I had a similar e-mail conversation w/ Mike Troyer a few months back. I wanted a mode on a chip that would retard acceleration/power for adverse weather conditions. (Unforcasted snow/rain and the like) Evidentally a chip program would not be a good solution because the biggest factor affecting performance is the boost from the supercharger. The chip can do nothing to change this. Changing spark advance and other factors would only make it run bad. It would be nice to have a "wife" mode on the chip tho

Dash Daddy
2000 silver L any day now

Old 03-08-2000 | 06:08 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Since someone mentioned a dealership joyride, what ever happened to the guy that dropped his lightning off for some warranty work and then later got a call about his lightning driving recklessly (maybe it got totalled?) from the sherriff? We he went back to the dealer, it had over 1000 miles logged onto the tack than when he dropped it off. Anyone?

Old 03-08-2000 | 08:41 PM
Never heard anymore on that story. Saw it on the news a couple months back, but nothing since. The owner said he was going to sue for a new L.

Mike

------------------
*2000 white Lightning on order(she thinks it's hers)
*1999 silver Super-Duty Crew Cab(hers)
*1983 yellow Jeep J-10(his)

Old 03-08-2000 | 11:20 PM
Red face

I heard the tech was charged with grand theft auto! I've read somewhere that a device is available with will record the higher speed eun on the car/truck and replay later. Can anyone confirm this? I always thought about installing a hidden video cam aimed at the dash and activated when the power is on. Talk about failsafe proof of negligence.

------------------
Gilbert Vega
2000 Black Lightning on order.
SnugLid on order.
Scheduled build date 3/27/00

Old 03-08-2000 | 11:31 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I am sure that could be done for fairly cheap amount of money nowadays. IF you do get it installed, be sure and post an mpeg showing Lightning owners what the speedo looks like when pegged, because some of us haven't been that fast in a truck.

I bet you could install your average camcorder and mount it underneath a seat, with power coming from the ignition switch, then you could get a special lens made with fiber optic cable and follow that up to above the rear squeeky window and aim it at the instrument panel. I've seen doctors do this, to minimize the damage done to the body. Interesting. Work for the vallay (can;t spel) kids, too.

Quick Reply: Lightning lock