Lightning

Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2000 | 01:24 PM
|
on my ram , i installed a switch to the torque convertor lock up. when engaged the truck will upshift, but will stall at first stop, and will continue to stall, when put in gear. if a carjacker or someone else with your key, can't flip the switch, they can only get a block or so, which might be a good idea, to put a little distance between you and the guy with a gun in your stalled truck.

Old 03-09-2000 | 02:13 PM
MRBBQMAN - do you think you will put a switch like that in the L?

I like the idea of a switch - you just never know what thieves can overcome these days. You just don't want it to be too cumbersome though. But for long term or out-of-sight parking, it can't hurt.

Just my $0.02

------------------
2000 Red Lightning on Order - All Options
'99 Yukon Denali - Silver, Lowered 1", Borbet CW4's, 285/60R18 Toyo Proxes S/T's, Hotchkis AntiSways, Edelbrock Shocks
2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

[This message has been edited by WHAT04 (edited 03-09-2000).]

Old 03-09-2000 | 02:37 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I know the kill switch seems very easy to overcome, but haven't you heard the story about the thieves that tried everything in the book to try to open a safe full of money, only to give up? Well, the next day the owner was shocked to find the contents still in the safe when he simply opened the door. It was unlocked. If asdeman (asrdesman, sorry) had the kill switch, the theives might have not bothered to look for a switch and frustratingly given up.
Another good point about the torque converter lockup idea, with that type of switch, the vehicle was actually stolen meaning it has been moved beyond its original place of rest, and will cuase the insurance to pay up. There have been other chips similar to this, where the car is allowed to be driven for approx 20 seconds, then shut off, and will not re-start. This is to aid in the owner of the vehicle claim more money from the insurance company. One cannot claim theft of a vehicle if it has not moved. Just some more of my thoughts

Old 03-09-2000 | 02:58 PM
|
on the dodge, it was very easy, find one wire to the pcm, splice a switch into it and your done. would need a service manual to find the right wire to see how it would work. the guys with the cummins motors did this initially as a performance mod, and got better acceleration by locking up the convertor early and hammering it with torque, the theft deterent was a bonus.

Old 03-10-2000 | 12:38 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Lightbulb Kill Switch

I did a search on this topic and did not find one, althoug hI did find lots of kill stories. I am thinking about installing a kill switch somewhere underneath the driver side dash. This way if a thief does out smart the system, they would not think about a kill switch. A switch that does not complete the connection to the starter motor. I believe a switch like this would have prevented an unfortunate event that happenned to asdeman (update?). Although that event maybe fortunate in false clothing, considering how he bought it back for cheap, and what he is doing to make his truck truly unique. I have talked this over with my mother boyfriend, and he has installed switches that are fairly complex, which go into sequence buttons. I do not think I am going to go this far with it, just a switch will be fine. Any thoughts on this? I figure total cost will be about $10.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
created 8/17/99, bought 9/25/99
#3681/4000
CD changer, Tow package, factory tonneau cover
100k mile warrantee, bed/under liner, paint protected

Old 03-10-2000 | 12:55 AM
Tundra, the Lightning cannot be started anyway because of the passsive anti-theft system that does not allow the truck to be started unless you have the appropriate computer coded key.

Is not a kill swith over-kill?

Also, ardesman (spelling) says he left the key to the truck in the tail gate at the airport.

So, unless the anti-theft system can be defeated, I do not see how the truck can be easily stolen unless it is put on dollys and towed away.

Quick Reply: Kill Switch