Lightning

Speak English Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006 | 09:10 PM
|
Speak English Please!

I'm looking at buying a lightning and it's pretty heavily modded. I know nothing about modding Lightnings (just bimmers so far ). Does a glimpse at this list of items tell any of you if the job was done well by someone with the $ / experience to do it right, or halfassed by some kid somewhere?

Comments / advice appreciated before I drop <$20K on this.

EDIT: Also if the truck has been dropped, wil I still be able to haul with it? I occasionally haul around 4-600 lbs of hardwood lumber from here to there...

Boyd Coddington Smoothie II (20"x10") whls. w/BFG KDW G-Force 295/40/20 tires
WC Deluxe 2" Drop Kit w/ Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammer Shocks
JLP 54" Traction Bars
Metco Driveshaft Safety Loop
JDM 1/2" Phenolic TB Spacer
SCT Excalibrator Tuner w/ Stree & Strip Tune from JDM & 170 deg. thermostat
Polished Supercharger Pulley
PSP Fast Air Induction Kit w/ 90 mm Conical filter Kit
Ruslow Underdrive pulley Kit (Crk. & W/P) & Metco 90 mm Idler Pulley Kit
Accufab Single Blade Polished TB & AF1 Polished Intake Tube
LFP Electric Fan & L&S Oil Separator
Factory Tech Valve Body Kit w/ 4x4 Trans. Pan
Steeda Aluminum Pedals
Brushed Aluminum Gauge Overlay, Satin Coat Hooks, Tilt, Shift & A/C *****
Custom "Lightning" Floor Mats & Trenz Lightning Door Sills
Bedrug Bedliner & ******** Speedstur Tonneau Cover
Powerslot Frt. & Rear Brake Rotors & Hawk Brake Pads
Revotec Clear Corner Lights w/ Chrome Bulbs
Billet Fuel Door-Painted Black
Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery w/ Polished Tray & Hold Down & Stinger LED Terminals
Grill Craft Upper / Lower Black Grill Inserts
Bassani Equal Length Headers, High Flow Catalytic Converters & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Cross-over Pipe

Old 01-11-2006 | 09:23 PM
Suspended for Cross Posting
Originally Posted by apriorius
I'm looking at buying a lightning and it's pretty heavily modded. I know nothing about modding Lightnings (just bimmers so far ). Does a glimpse at this list of items tell any of you if the job was done well by someone with the $ / experience to do it right, or halfassed by some kid somewhere?

Comments / advice appreciated before I drop <$20K on this.

EDIT: Also if the truck has been dropped, wil I still be able to haul with it? I occasionally haul around 4-600 lbs of hardwood lumber from here to there...

Boyd Coddington Smoothie II (20"x10") whls. w/BFG KDW G-Force 295/40/20 tires
WC Deluxe 2" Drop Kit w/ Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammer Shocks
JLP 54" Traction Bars
Metco Driveshaft Safety Loop
JDM 1/2" Phenolic TB Spacer
SCT Excalibrator Tuner w/ Stree & Strip Tune from JDM & 170 deg. thermostat
Polished Supercharger Pulley
PSP Fast Air Induction Kit w/ 90 mm Conical filter Kit
Ruslow Underdrive pulley Kit (Crk. & W/P) & Metco 90 mm Idler Pulley Kit
Accufab Single Blade Polished TB & AF1 Polished Intake Tube
LFP Electric Fan & L&S Oil Separator
Factory Tech Valve Body Kit w/ 4x4 Trans. Pan
Steeda Aluminum Pedals
Brushed Aluminum Gauge Overlay, Satin Coat Hooks, Tilt, Shift & A/C *****
Custom "Lightning" Floor Mats & Trenz Lightning Door Sills
Bedrug Bedliner & ******** Speedstur Tonneau Cover
Powerslot Frt. & Rear Brake Rotors & Hawk Brake Pads
Revotec Clear Corner Lights w/ Chrome Bulbs
Billet Fuel Door-Painted Black
Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery w/ Polished Tray & Hold Down & Stinger LED Terminals
Grill Craft Upper / Lower Black Grill Inserts
Bassani Equal Length Headers, High Flow Catalytic Converters & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Cross-over Pipe
Sounds like a top notch ride to me. Go for it.

Old 01-11-2006 | 10:03 PM
Could be an awesome truck or someone could have drove the chit out of it. Hard to tell, personally unless I knew the person personally I wouldn’t touch it for fear it may be worn out or close to death. Buying used is always a tough deal, buying something modded used is even tougher unless you know the person or someone can check it over very well and give you the thumps up…

Old 01-11-2006 | 10:27 PM
|
Good points there XLT. It's on Ebay right now...I was planning on driving down tomorrow and checking it out. Odd thing is that it's an '03 with 7K miles on it. What I'd *really* like to know is if those are lazy sunday miles or were they done 1/4 mile at a time. Any thing in particular I can look at while I'm there that would tell me?

Old 01-11-2006 | 11:03 PM
An 03 w/ 7k for 20k? I'd stay away. All of the mods sound right on par though. Buying performance vehicle used can be a risky deal. But sometimes you can also get a hell of a deal for the same reason. It seems that modded used vehicle scare buyers away.

Old 01-11-2006 | 11:05 PM
Good points there XLT. It's on Ebay right now...I was planning on driving down tomorrow and checking it out. Odd thing is that it's an '03 with 7K miles on it. What I'd *really* like to know is if those are lazy sunday miles or were they done 1/4 mile at a time. Any thing in particular I can look at while I'm there that would tell me?
Do you really think with those mods they were lazy sunday miles?

I'm not saying the truck isn't a good deal... but lets get real. Grandma didn't build that truck to go get her groceries in once a month.

I would go drive it and get a feel about who is selling it. Based on the list, someone has a bunch of money tied up in it. I'd love to have the wheels alone. I had a hard time when I was in your situation and finally decided to just buy a new one and mod it myself. But for 10k less you could end up with a hell of a deal. Best thing is to go drive it.

Last edited by RustySocket; 01-11-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:11 PM
I would not hesitate. That truck has all of the right stuff.

The only things to worry about are a blown tranny or blown engine. Short of seven Baja 1000s, the rest of the truck can take ANY 7,000 miles with ease, whether 1/4 mile at a time or not. I have have abused my truck worse than 99% of the people on these boards, and have not have any failures to speak of in 20,000 miles (three sets of tires, three or four sets of brakes).

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 01-11-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by RustySocket
Do you really think with those mods they were lazy sunday miles?

I'm not saying the truck isn't a good deal... but lets get real. Grandma didn't build that truck to go get her groceries in once a month.
Last Year I went to the track twice, and put just over 3000 miles on my truck. It's a grocery getter.

Old 01-12-2006 | 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Last Year I went to the track twice, and put just over 3000 miles on my truck. It's a grocery getter.
I like a quick trip to the store myself

Old 01-12-2006 | 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace

Old 01-12-2006 | 01:54 AM
If the truck is the same one that I was on ebay how do you know that the reserve is set a 20k? Its a dealer selling it i think. If it is 20k thats a pretty sweet deal.

Old 01-12-2006 | 02:32 AM
Drive it and see how it feels. Carfax it. And I would expect its been driven pretty hard but make sure the guys done regular oil changes (take oil cap off and put your finger in there to see how dirty the thing is). Also you can tell if he's been spinnin the tires a lot if u just check in the wheel weld for little pieces of rubber stuck to it.

Looks like a good deal I would take advantage of that if nothings wrong. I would also stay away if it's a young seller, I'm almost 18 years old now and I would never buy a car from myself. Me and all my friends with fast cars (STi, Evo8, G35) drive the **** out of them.

Good Luck

Old 01-12-2006 | 11:01 AM
|
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go check it out this afternoon and make a report.

Actually, I have no idea how much the dealer wants...but I assume it's at least $20K so that's why I put the "Greater Than" symbol in front of my post (<$20K)

Old 01-12-2006 | 11:21 AM
that's a less than sign

Old 01-12-2006 | 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tical84
that's a less than sign
you are correct....just remember the alligator always eats the larger number.... the arrow points to the smaller number.

what?...... I have a 2nd grader.

Quick Reply: Speak English Please!