Lightning

Beware of ebay crankshaft & parts scam

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of ebay crankshaft & parts scam

Allegedly, speedyparts , an ebay seller , is selling or appears to be selling Kellogg Lightning billet 4340 steel crankshafts , among other parts, for $400.00 on ebay. This is impossible, I thought, since a billet crank costs around $3000.00. I then did some research and called Kellogg crankshaft , which is a 55 year old crankshaft company in Michigan ,to ask them about these billet crankshafts that are being sold on ebay under thier name. One of the managers at Kellogg crankshaft told me that they do not even make a nor have made a 4340 billet crankshaft for a modular motor. I then gave him the link to investigate. Bob then called me back a few hours later to say that the only cast cranks they make for a mod motor are beiing ordered in large quantities by a south Florida company (I cannot reveal the name, sorry)are in fact a c38 forging, which he told me was about as strong as a cast crankshaft and a lot weaker than our steel crankshafts. These cranks are allegedly, being boxed and sold under different reputable crankshaft company names. Buyer be ware.....
Here is link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-4-F...21109729QQrdZ1

Last edited by promodlightning; 02-02-2006 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Would this company happen to be pro-power? get me on aim or send me an email if you dont want to post it, because i need to know ASAP

Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
The seller should be outed because they should know whether they are selling a 4340 forged product vs a cast piece. I don't believe protecting their identity if in fact this is what their doing serves to protect anybody, and if this misrepresentation is really what's happening, then there is no libel here.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 AM
i know all about the scam.. i attempted to buy the crank a few weeks ago.. as i bid it would jump another $50.. as it went up to 400 i said f$@k it i went to pro power and told them about what i was doing and they said nah screw it you should never buy from ebay you never know what your gettin.. so i orderd my forged crank through them instead and had it shipped for 435 to my door.. not too bad.. it does not say Kellog on the box so i know it isnt there auction from what i know they use Ford Racing factory forged 4340 cranks.. and also some of our Vendors even go to them for parts including the cranks.. if you decide to get one from pro power speak to wild Bill hes cool as hell to talk to..

Old 02-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
i know all about the scam.. i attempted to buy the crank a few weeks ago.. as i bid it would jump another $50.. as it went up to 400 i said f$@k it i went to pro power and told them about what i was doing and they said nah screw it you should never buy from ebay you never know what your gettin.. so i orderd my forged crank through them instead and had it shipped for 435 to my door.. not too bad.. it does not say Kellog on the box so i know it isnt there auction from what i know they use Ford Racing factory forged 4340 cranks.. and also some of our Vendors even go to them for parts including the cranks.. if you decide to get one from pro power speak to wild Bill hes cool as hell to talk to..
I bought a crank thru one of those auctions, it came in a Modmax box from pro-power and had a ford blue oval stamped in it as well as all the same part numbers as another factory crank I had from ford racing. Only difference was that the crank from propower was slightly darker in color.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THAT WHAT YOU ARE ORDERING IS WHAT YOU NEED, THEN PURCHASE AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE DO NOT OFFER REFUNDS ON THESE CLEARANCE ITEMS! I AM NOT A MECHANIC, SO PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME ASKING ENGINE ADVICE. I'M NOT BEING RUDE, I REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWERS. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO EMAILS THAT ARE ALREADY ANSWERED IN MY ADVERTISING, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME. I WILL NOT EVER TELL YOU WHAT THE RESERVE PRICE IS. PLEASE SEE ALL LISTED SPECIFICATIONS. THE PICTURES MAY NOT BE THE ACTUAL PARTS YOU ARE RECEIVING, THEY MAY ONLY BE A REPRESENTATION. THANK YOU. THIS IS ANOTHER QUALITY LISTING FROM:

Hmmm... Tech its not a scam he tells you right in his auction title.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by MISTERgadget
I bought a crank thru one of those auctions, it came in a Modmax box from pro-power and had a ford blue oval stamped in it as well as all the same part numbers as another factory crank I had from ford racing. Only difference was that the crank from propower was slightly darker in color.
does the difference in color mean anything??

Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I bought a prepped lightning crank from MMR last summer and it came in a Kellog box. And it IS a lightning crank...I know the difference.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
I bought a prepped lightning crank from MMR last summer and it came in a Kellog box. And it IS a lightning crank...I know the difference.
Crank on the left is one I bought from that ebay auction... it showed up in a modmax box and had a ford oval and numbers on it. Crank on the right is from ford racing, had the ford oval in the same spot and identical numbers. what do you make of that? I'm stumped and kinda curious since the one on the left is at my engine builder now.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Crank on the left is one I bought from that ebay auction... it showed up in a modmax box and had a ford oval and numbers on it. Crank on the right is from ford racing, had the ford oval in the same spot and identical numbers. what do you make of that? I'm stumped and kinda curious since the one on the left is at my engine builder now.
How hard would it be to stamp a Ford crank# on another manufacturers crank? What does Al Peppito say about the differences, Mateus?

Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 AM
How much is he selling these for???

Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 AM
YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET!!!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by mac02lightning
YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET!!!!!
why yes you do

you also get what you paid for

Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking the one on the left is a factory crank that had some type of process (heat treat?) applied to it which makes it darker. Sounds like at worst you have a factory crank instead of aftermarket, which in a lot of cases has better quality control standards.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Both cranks are identical in every way, except for the modmax one being darker.

BTW, you can get factory forged cranks for about the same price if you know where to look. Ford Racing started selling engine parts out of their catalog and the prices are great.

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...f1f04cbd7ee5e6

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...f1f04cbd7ee5e6

neat huh?

Any ford racing dealer should be able to get similar prices, much better than any Ford Dealer or motorcraft place can do.

Quick Reply: Beware of ebay crankshaft & parts scam