Lightning

need help guys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 02:18 PM
|
need help guys?

i just took all my cats out of my 2003 lightning, the truck is all stock i havent done anything to it, but iam gettin a weird smell from the exhaust and i dont know if its runing to rich or what the problem is. Do you think taking the cats out is a bad idea cause the engine needs back pressure, if so please tell me the best way in doing this. could it be an O2 sencor, iam in the dark here boys, any help would be good. thanks alot, Gino

Old 02-26-2006 | 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by chuteboxe
i just took all my cats out of my 2003 lightning, the truck is all stock i havent done anything to it, but iam gettin a weird smell from the exhaust and i dont know if its runing to rich or what the problem is. Do you think taking the cats out is a bad idea cause the engine needs back pressure, if so please tell me the best way in doing this. could it be an O2 sencor, iam in the dark here boys, any help would be good. thanks alot, Gino
Does your truck have a SES light on? Removing the cats without turning off the rear O2 sensors will cause a SES (service engine soon) light to appear.

Also, If the Rear O2's are off, then the a/f will be calibrated by the front O2's and the rear are basically useless (since they are off)

As for the smell? Got me there... I know when cats start to go bad they smell like rotten eggs. Perhaps something climbed into your exhaust? (like a rodent or something)

Old 02-27-2006 | 03:38 PM
|
No theres no light or anything, i just feel like iam loosing low end power and getting bad gas milage, do you recommend putting the stock cats back on, or is there any after market, H pipe,Y pipe, or X pipe that i can use that would create back pressure and make everythin run as if there were the stock cats on?

Old 02-28-2006 | 10:25 AM
When you cut your cats out, the exhaust smells very rich. Mine did when I cut mine out.

Old 02-28-2006 | 10:31 AM
My Viper did that when I put High-flow cats on (I had a corsa exhaust too). When you would get on it hard then stop I would smell it. I just attributed it to the high flow cats not filtering out the smell. It may be running a little rich too. I wouldnt worry about it. Weather it is running rich or not - rich is better than lean.

Old 03-01-2006 | 01:29 AM
yeah

I have the JDM/Magnaflow midpipes/cats. I get a wicked exhaust smell when I get on it.

As far as loosing power.......maybe cutting he cats out is affecting your tune but I would figure if anything, the truck would be cutting back on fuel if the oxygen sensors were seeing a rich condition.

I had a problem of running so rich, my oxygen sensors weren't functioning properly in the mid rpm range. Maybe that's what's going on with you.

Good luck

Old 03-18-2006 | 04:04 PM
Why this name chuteboxe ? Did you mean "chute-boxe" vale-tudo team ? Wand Silva,Ninja,Rua ??? Let me know.

Quick Reply: need help guys?