Lightning

Problem getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006 | 02:26 AM
|
Problem getting worse

I had a post awile back about the poping in the front of my truck, well since then i have gotten the Clunk washers, changed the lower ball joints, and it is not rubbing or hitting anything. I have heard so many different things. I layed down under the truck wile someone was turing the steering wheel lock to lock and it looks like and feels like the drop pitment arm or the trailing arm is making all that noise. But is that it or is it something else. The reason why i am up tight about it is because it is getting worse every day. So maybe someone has found out what the problem is and know what i am talking about?!

Last edited by black knight; 03-01-2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Problem getting worse-And now know what it is
Old 03-01-2006 | 02:37 AM
Have you greased your steering stops?

Old 03-01-2006 | 09:17 AM
Jack up the front of the truck, let he suspension droop and start pulling on parts. See what's moving or is loose. That is your best bet.

Old 03-01-2006 | 10:52 AM
i had a problem where everytime i turned the wheel to lock to the left it made a loud clunk.. turns out it was the steering box making all the noise.. dealer did it as a warranty repair.. the steering boxxes are about 700 new...

Old 03-01-2006 | 03:50 PM
wow

I have had the same issues on my 2000. Checked ball joints and tie rod ends per Ford Bulletin. Jacked up the front end and check the arms and bushings.

I notice it most when i turn into the driveway at my parents house, because it kinda goes up hill from the streets. I can't find it.

One thing i did find when i changed my rotors, is the castle nut on the spindle was WAY looser than it should have been and the rotor was actually rocking back and forth. I felt very safe.

Old 03-01-2006 | 08:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by dirtchicken
Have you greased your steering stops?
I have tryed that to, still the same

Old 03-01-2006 | 08:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by tallimeca
I have had the same issues on my 2000. Checked ball joints and tie rod ends per Ford Bulletin. Jacked up the front end and check the arms and bushings.

I notice it most when i turn into the driveway at my parents house, because it kinda goes up hill from the streets. I can't find it.

One thing i did find when i changed my rotors, is the castle nut on the spindle was WAY looser than it should have been and the rotor was actually rocking back and forth. I felt very safe.
I have tryed all of that to, Mine does it anywhere does not matter.but the weird thing is after it does it once it wont do it again until i move forward or backwords so i have not a clue

Old 03-01-2006 | 11:43 PM
|
Problem getting worse- And now i found what it is

Well after a few hours of looking and looking, A friend of mine came over and i got him to turn the wheel lock to lock and i was looking everywhere and i finally saw what it was. (It's the lower ball joints moveing up and down in the lower control arm) Now i know they are pressed in and they have a snap ring on them. I replaced them a month ago, Now what i saw was the ball joints moveing up and down and the snap ring trying to come off because it was hitting the lower control arm. So the up and down motion of the (supposedly) pressed in ball joint is moveing which is not supposed to move is rubbing raw so ya. Now How do i fix that. I was thinking of putting two snap ring, like stacking them on top of each other so that it wont move. or like a warsher, something, so ya i found it NOW WHAT?

Old 03-16-2006 | 11:32 PM
Did you manage to fix this?

Quick Reply: Problem getting worse