Lightning

The DG air dam is pimpy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006 | 11:35 PM
|
The DG air dam is pimpy!

I just picked the truck up from the body shop (DG air dam, shaker hood, Cal-Vu mirrors, Sir Mike's). All these mods look great, but I am most impressed with the DG dam:

I went with the DG dam because it looks to be way more aero than the stocker. It's flatter, lower, and wider. It does not have the foglight recesses of the stocker, which to my eye must cause drag. I also like the splitter on the bottom. It is bound to do a better job of punching through the air at triple-digit speeds. Most importantly, keeping more air out from under the truck, which will decrease drag and increase downforce (decrease lift, actually).

With a 2-3" drop in the front, it pretty much hugs the pavement. I wanted it lower, but it looks like I will need to raise it back up a tad. Everything scrapes.

The grill will be replaced with a Grillcraft, along with custom Grillcraft grills for the heat exchanger and brake ducts (in cut out fog light recesses). The brake duct flanges will be painted black.

I was planning to make some spill plates to force the air through the heat exchanger. No need -- the DG dam fits like a glove. Just enough space to not create a high pressure zone.

I had reservations about switching to the standard F150 bumper. I was afraid that it would look like what it is now - three separate pieces (bumper, top cover, and air dam). But at least in black, it looks just as integrated as the stocker. And I love the way the cutout frames the heat exchanger perfectly.

All in all, I think the looks and functionality are top notch.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 03-12-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:56 PM
I like it. The front view looks wicked.

Old 03-13-2006 | 12:03 AM
nice

not my cup of tea on the bumper, but came out well. Glad your happy with it.

Old 03-13-2006 | 12:31 AM
nice

Old 03-13-2006 | 12:43 AM
lookin good tim! any progress on the chip/pulley mods yet?

Old 03-13-2006 | 01:05 AM
|
Originally Posted by tallimeca
not my cup of tea on the bumper, but came out well. Glad your happy with it.
I knew going in that many don't like the looks of it. But to my eye, with the cowcatcher adding visual mass up front and the roll pan removing it from the rear, it looks fast standing still. I'm into the hardcore road racer look. So stainless hose, cross-drilled Brembos, carbon fiber (the real stuff), and raw aluminum are what pull my chain. Pointless detail does not. For instance, I had the ribs on the shaker scoop sanded off and filled. Smooth as Mary's ***.

The dam's apparent functionality for my purposes (aero, intercooler and brake cooling under sustained loading) gets me over any reservations about its looks. I know that if eyes could predict aero, we wouldn't need wind tunnels, but I feel certain that it will be a performance improvement.

Flash pictures are rarely flattering. I'll post up some daytime photos as its gets closer to completion.

Old 03-13-2006 | 08:14 AM
Damn, I wish they still made those wheels for the Lightning!

Old 03-13-2006 | 08:25 AM
GD that DG looks great!!!

Tim,
That front air dam looks great. Everything looks like a perfect fit. Good luck on the road courses!!!

Old 03-13-2006 | 08:58 AM
Looks Great

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by scv8
Damn, I wish they still made those wheels for the Lightning!
You and me both!

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:30 AM
I might suggest some Griots under carriage spray for the wheel wells. It make the rubber/plastic black again instead of grey. Buy it by the gallon. You won't regret it.

BTW I liked your truck better before, but I didn't pay for it or drive it so, enjoy.

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:31 AM
|
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
You and me both!
You guys should have bought earlier. They were a flop. It looks like SMC, the OEM, has finally discontinued them also.

I picked up a spare before Tire Rack shelved them.

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:32 AM
|
Originally Posted by MHMCGILL
I might suggest some Griots under carriage spray for the wheel wells. It make the rubber/plastic black again instead of grey. . .
Great tip. You have used this stuff and it sticks?

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Great tip. You have used this stuff and it sticks?
Yes. It is silicone based, smells great to boot. It just turns the liner black. I do it every few washes, but I also use the long black handle brush they sell for the wheel wells too. You just spray on and leave it.

Old 03-13-2006 | 10:05 AM
|
I see now. I thought that you were talking about some kind of paint, but you are talking about a dressing.

Believe me, this truck needs hours of detailing. Having a mangled front end for over a year made detailing seem a little stupid. Now it's time to break out the Porter Cable and steam cleaner.

Quick Reply: The DG air dam is pimpy!