Lightning

Who has a JLP block

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 02:29 AM
good info johnny... I don't know if JimIII was implicating that you used crappy parts or not, but way to clear things up anyway. Hope this stays civil....

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:14 AM
We talk to atleast a 100 people a day..I can't tell you how many times we have been told that they just got off the phone with _ _ _ and were told those Lies!..This post was about JLP Engines the last time i looked!.. Also JLP Gives each customer thier own Balance sheet for their engine. To prove its not just vain words but Fact!....JL

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:49 AM
i can say i think johnny is a pretty up front and honest guy and i like his style

when i had my last 01 Sal did all of my work, yet johnny would never hesitate to take the time to answer questions and such at the events, i now use MD locally for all my tuning and such, johnny is still happy to answer any questions,

thats the main reason i went with his block when mine went south. they were in stock and i had it in like 2 days, i expect it to hold up pretty good

i went with a "seasoned" block on his recommendation

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:06 AM
NVH = Noise Vibration and Harmonics

The NVH block is thicker and thus heavier than the original 5.4L blocks. I have no information regarding if they are stronger or not. If a rob breaks, it's probably going through either type of block, regardless who built or tuned it.

Personally, if i were to get a short block, I'd go with JLP (due to the price) or VT engines (in my backyard). Luckily my father owns a trucking company, so someone could pick up the block at JLP and deliver it to my garage. I've been loyal to PSP for tuning also, but for me it'll come down to price and location.
I'm not going to be pushing 1000 hp, or even 700hp, maybe mid 5's someday... so I'm pretty much safe going anywhere.

I think a lot of people (lightning owners) don't really think about what they really want, what they want their goals to be, and sit down and figure out the best to achieve them. I think they just go out and spend a lot of money on aprts that do not necessarily help them achieve their goal. I wanted a truck that would run 12's consistently and be reliable. and that is exactly what I have.
My next goal is to free up a little more power (not add more stuff to make power, just free up what I have) and to make it handle much better. SO I already got a set of underdrive pulley's, and now considering the X-factor, or some homemade bracing for the truck, with a panhard bar.

(not trying to detour this thread JLP!)
Lets look at the latest from JDM, this aluminum block. It is damn impressive. and light weight, but who really needs it? Regular blocks should be able to handle the same amount of power. And if a rod breaks in the aluminum one, it's going through the Aluminum block, just like an iron block. If weight saving is your goal, then, look at fiberglass fenders, or I heard that FRRP is considering making a fiberglass front clip for the lightning. You can shed hundreds if not a thousand pounds off the lightning and still be safe and have a race truck. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad JDM and JLP, PSP, and others are continuing to push the envelope, but you have to stop and ask yourself. do you really need those parts?

Last edited by l-menace; 03-15-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyLightning

this picture is from 2004. A little old and worn out. The thing that speaks for tuners is not what numbers are made on the dyno, how little it cost etc... it is how quickly the cutomer gets down the track, around the road course, or how many miles are put on the product before failure.

In my experiance your customer service has been less than decent. From the first time I went to your shop, to the last time I saw you at cecil.

Old 03-15-2006 | 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by samiam513
this picture is from 2004. A little old and worn out. The thing that speaks for tuners is not what numbers are made on the dyno, how little it cost etc... it is how quickly the cutomer gets down the track, around the road course, or how many miles are put on the product before failure.

In my experiance your customer service has been less than decent. From the first time I went to your shop, to the last time I saw you at cecil.
this may sound silly, but what does it matter that the pic is from 2004? i'm sure he was just grabbing a pic thats already scanned

Old 03-15-2006 | 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by samiam513
I've had two shortblocks, first one from JDM and second one JLP...i went with JLP the second time b/c i met him a Lfest in 2004...while having tons of other customers he took the time to speak with me about his engine and other ideas. i know i'm not the only person he has given his cell number to so he can be reached easily when questions need to be answered ASAP. Johnny and Sue IMO are awesome people to deal with.

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:29 PM
I'll tell you my thoughts....

My JDM engine just went in my truck monday. We finished up at 8 or 9 pm. I paid my bill and said goodbye at 9 the next morning. Then I drive ***** out 11.5 hrs straight from Jersey to Charleston SC and she never skipped a beat! I stopped to check the oil and fluids several time, and throw back some grocerys....but for the most part, 11.5 hrs of straight up runnin! I'd say my JDM power plant is off to a great start.

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by SVT-SiNiSTER
Was wondering how much power your throwing at it and how do you like it? Any problems at all? I dont want to start a war but is a JLP block and a JDM block equally as strong? Thanks
Oh, and JL....since you claim this post was all about you, and J3 jumped in on it....why don't you read a little closer...he asked about both engines!

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by whip
I'll tell you my thoughts....

My JDM engine just went in my truck monday. We finished up at 8 or 9 pm. I paid my bill and said goodbye at 9 the next morning. Then I drive ***** out 11.5 hrs straight from Jersey to Charleston SC and she never skipped a beat! I stopped to check the oil and fluids several time, and throw back some grocerys....but for the most part, 11.5 hrs of straight up runnin! I'd say my JDM power plant is off to a great start.
i would have gotten something to tow that far, thats a lot of hwy driving on a new motor

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by beefcake
i would have gotten something to tow that far, thats a lot of hwy driving on a new motor
My point exactly....I have complete faith and trust in Jim and his motor program. The motor was run for a while before I took it, so I wasn't too worried about the actual motor. The only hitch would have been in the tune or a sensor, or something like that, but it performed flawlessly. I got in at 9pm, washed her, went to bed, and drove her to work this am.

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by whip
My point exactly....I have complete faith and trust in Jim and his motor program. The motor was run for a while before I took it, so I wasn't too worried about the actual motor. The only hitch would have been in the tune or a sensor, or something like that, but it performed flawlessly. I got in at 9pm, washed her, went to bed, and drove her to work this am.
wasn't really a comment about jlp or jdm, just general engine break in, because it's a jdm motor, doesn't mean the same laws of physics don't apply, long steady driving is not good for ring seating, period, the principals that apply in this universe still apply in jdm's shop

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:06 PM
No, I hear ya. But the motor did have some run in hours, and I did try to vary RPM's. Also, and I have heard this with many engine manufacturers, from cars to boats to ships....with the modern machining and engine design, a break in period is less critical than it used to be.

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace

(not trying to detour this thread JLP!)
Lets look at the latest from JDM, this aluminum block. It is damn impressive. and light weight, but who really needs it? Regular blocks should be able to handle the same amount of power. And if a rod breaks in the aluminum one, it's going through the Aluminum block, just like an iron block. If weight saving is your goal, then, look at fiberglass fenders, or I heard that FRRP is considering making a fiberglass front clip for the lightning. You can shed hundreds if not a thousand pounds off the lightning and still be safe and have a race truck. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad JDM and JLP, PSP, and others are continuing to push the envelope, but you have to stop and ask yourself. do you really need those parts?
Hey Menace you always have something to say about JLP being an "Innovator", but then JDM offers an aluminum block and now you are saying "do you really need it" figures...

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by monkeysL
I've had two shortblocks, first one from JDM and second one JLP...i went with JLP the second time b/c i met him a Lfest in 2004...while having tons of other customers he took the time to speak with me about his engine and other ideas. i know i'm not the only person he has given his cell number to so he can be reached easily when questions need to be answered ASAP. Johnny and Sue IMO are awesome people to deal with.
I'll agree with you, sue is cool as sweet tea on a hot august afternoon, but johnny is a ****. From the first time I met him he was a complete ****. The people I am with almost point that out before they say ANYTHING else.

Sal from Power surge Performance has always been more than helpfull even though I have only purchased a driveshaft loop from him. Heck, he is the person who helped me solved my miss problem the first time I had it. Johnny's only answer was to buy a $90 set of plugs, while sal walked me through which connections and vac lines to check. It turned out to be a loose hose.

JimIII at JDM has also been very nice. When I bought some seats from him he offered to show me through the shop, show me their long forgotten lightning "in storage eternally" as he called it.

JJ from Woodbine Motorsports is currently who I go to for all of my work. He always takes the time to show everything that was done, is willing to talk about how and why somthing does what it does, and never rushes you out. He also walks you through how quick you want your truck to be, and how to get it that quick.

That is just my view fo the people we buy our parts and get our service from. Take it how you will.

Quick Reply: Who has a JLP block