Lightning

What does Intercooler problem really mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2000 | 09:11 PM
|
Question What does Intercooler problem really mean?

I was reading the information regarding leaking intercoolers and last weekend I checked mine. It was almost bone dry. I don't remember the last time I checked it unfortunately. I filled it back up and it has lost just a little (1/4" maybe) in 200 miles. I told my service guy that it had gone dry, and that I was keeping an eye on it to see what kind of loss I had.

I know that most of these are losing fluid into the engine, not out of a leaking hose or something. My first question is what does this do to the engine when this happens, and how much is probably safe without damage. Also, what kind of damage can occur.

Second, what happens if you run out of fluid (like I did). I know that with no fluid, the intercooler can't cool. I imagine this just means that your intake air charge is hotter, and that your vehicle has to take out timing to prevent detonation. Is this correct? If so, I imagine now with fluid in the reservoir I should be making more power?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Aaron Luck
'99 Red SVT Lightning
Superchip, Safe-t-stop, Ford soft tonneau cover, 6 disk changer, ford bedliner, CL III tow package, 15+ coats of Zaino

'00 Amazon Green SVT Contour
KKM Induction Kit, Superchip, 73mm MAF

'90 Cardinal Red 5.0 LX Convertible Mustang
Removed intake silencer

Old 04-24-2000 | 09:22 PM
Question

One thing I was wondering, if the AF being digested by the engine does sometimes foul the O2 sensor, does it cause any premature clogging of the catalysts?

I would hate to have to replace then early or even loose volume through them.

2000 Silver, 500 miles, no leaks ( Yet)

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning

Old 04-24-2000 | 09:41 PM
For now, don't add any more coolant. Disable the intercooler pump to prevent additional coolant from entering the engine.(remove fuse- this is where the handy service manual come in). Get to the dealer ASAP and make them fix it. If the leak is small and you have never added coolant then there probably won't be any problem.

Old 04-24-2000 | 09:56 PM
Ive alwyas kept quiet about this issue.I neber had the problem with mine.There is one thing I would like to bring up seriously.This issue has not been brought up that much.Not only is losing fluid through the motor bad but is is actually horrible.Alot of you dont really seem to know the seriousness of this .It is not just about losing fluid and wiping out 02 sensors and *convertors*(here is something else that ir rarely brought up)Do you know if any anti-freeze gets into your oil pan it will wipe out your main bearings.Nor is it good for the pistons and such.I know its not supposed to on an intake problem but,It is a good issue.When people blow head gaskets and keep driving them(even for a short time),It kills your main bearings and you dont know it till its all together and you already spent much$$$ on the first repair.Just a little reminder,Dont drive it when you are losing fluid.Convertors alone you wont tell for a long time,Those are a costly repair too.If I had a problem with that,I would make them replace mt 02+ convertors

Old 04-24-2000 | 10:23 PM
Banned
You made the statement ‘that some of us are having problems with our intercoolers’. I would like to meet an L person that drive’s as hard as I do. I have never had a problem/defect with my L, much less with my inter cooler?

I check my L for oil level, inter cooler level, tire air pressure, radiator level, transmission level,you name it, every time I get in my truck/spacecraft. I guess I’m ****.

I do think some of the earlier L’s suffered from a learning curve of the canuk’s!

[This message has been edited by f1car (edited 04-24-2000).]

Old 04-24-2000 | 11:18 PM
Cool

f1car -

Better knock on wood. I thought I was in the clear at 17,000 miles and then one day, no coolant. I don't know that anyone has said the intercooler problems are related to leadfoot syndrome. I have not been able to link any of the intercooler problems by a common thread. It appears to be random luck.

SVTLEMONBOY is absolutely right. Don't add additional coolant and take it to a reputable dealer ASAP. Mine was repaired within four working days and appears to be as good as new.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 04-24-2000).]

Old 04-25-2000 | 12:13 AM
Exclamation

Lightningquick you are right if it goes in the pan. but evidently the leaking fluid is going in the intake and out the exhause. Probably ruining plugs, o2 sensor, possiblly fowling injectors. My dealership told me they would change the intercooler, plugs, and o2 sensor and clean the injectors and change the oil. I think they would stand behind the cat. converters with a little prodding.
noelvm

Old 04-25-2000 | 12:27 AM
Question

Ok,I'm gonna' show my ignorance here(don't laugh too hard,I'm tryin to learn from you guys),I check the intercooler level pretty much everyday,it doesn't look low,or that it's getting lower,but where should the level be??? Where is the level mark??? I know HOW much should be there,but how full should it be??? I know,I know,back to the corner to bang head.

Hitman

Old 04-25-2000 | 01:03 AM
Lightbulb

It doesn't really make any difference as long as it stays there. Check it in the morning when its cool. don't expect the same level after it has be run. As hot it should be higher and then go back to morning level as it cools. At cool there should be some room for the liquid to expand in the tank.
noelvm
when Ford put the dye check in mine last week they filled it up all the way to the cap. I immediately did my best to lower the level as Jerrod and I took off down the feeder. And away we goooooooooooooooooo
noelvm

Old 04-25-2000 | 01:17 PM
Yeah, driving your L hard is not what causes the problem with the intercooler, just if you got a bad one. Thought I was passed it at 16000 miles, but guess not. As noelvm stated, they filled ours up to the top, and in a week, it is down 1-1/2". Going to take it back in after this weekend. Going to the track and want full use of the blower and intercooler.
The slow leak that Noel and I have does not seem to affect anything drastically, but I think Nathan was losing about a gallon a day and it fouled all four O2 sensors and his plugs. Very bad. I think I have lost about 1 gallon or so in the six weeks its been leaking.
jerrod

[This message has been edited by 99SVT (edited 04-25-2000).]

Old 04-26-2000 | 12:35 AM
The one thing that I didn't get to check was the O2 sensor. I just didn't have the time. However, the plug I removed was in perfect shape. I don't know if I am really that worried about the leak now that I have checked the plug. If there was a real problem, it would have been fouled for sure. On my 95 Z28, I had a leak in the throttle body coolant line (warms throttle body in the winter) and all of the plugs had fouled in about 500 miles of me finding the leak. Sure...different engine design, but same idea....

Hopefully none of us will have any serious problems. I just am waiting to hear what they are doing about mine.

Paul G.

Quick Reply: What does Intercooler problem really mean?