Lightning

1. mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000 | 09:37 AM
|
Question 1. mods?

Ok,
I guess you discussed it 100 times before, but who can help me out with my fist mod for a '99 Lightning?
I don't want to go with a chip, because I'm afraid of ruin my engine. I live in Germany, there aren't any "Lightning" or SVT dealers here and the car gets lots of high speed drives on the Autobahn.

I've heard the following:
> You need to do the ProM MAF and filter for any real HP gains. We got 27rwhp with just the MAF on a 99 Lightning. The ProM80 w/filter is $289. We also do custom chips that add another 25rwhp($300)

What do you think, should I get a Pro-M or just the Airaid Filter Injection Performance Kit or PSP Power Surge Performance kit?

------------------
'99 Cobra with mods
Lightning still stock

Old 04-19-2000 | 09:52 AM
Well, my personal opinion is this: I trust Sal, who is a Ford technician to know more about my truck, and what will and wont hurt it, than I trust any other company. I wouldn't even CONSIDER a chip from anyone else, because I'm paranoid that in 30,000 miles, bad things will start to show up as a result of some other company's chip. Since I ordered the chip from him, it was logical to order the filter kit from him as well...not just for the sake of convenience, but because many have said his filter kit is extremely high quality, and maybe moreso than the others available.

To Ford Motor Company: The act of ordering a chip and filter kit does not equate to USING the chip and filter kit. My truck is bone stock, and will stay that way until my 6 year/ 75,000 mile warranty runs out. Promise!

------------------
AtomHeart
2000 Silver Lightnin'
1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra R code w/ 3.91 dragpack
atomhart@cyberhighway.net

Old 04-19-2000 | 02:06 PM
Off the subject, but Atomheart, I take it you dig Pink Floyd? From the CD Atom Heart Mother?

Old 04-19-2000 | 05:15 PM
Dirk, a few questions. How much you paying for gasoline in Germany? And, do you own your own refinery?

Also, how fast have been in your Lightning on the autobahn? Still no speed limit on most of it?

Old 04-19-2000 | 06:23 PM
After reading Mr. Mallo note of the spark advances, I am leery of his tuning and calibration abilities. Granted that was a few calibrations old, but I wouldn’t sell something the made some ones engine knock in the first place.
You guys believe that he knows all about the lightnings, he may know and care a lot more than most speed shop/tuners, but definitely not all…
Sal is not going fix your transmission or engine when it blows up, and this can happen, even with his stuff.
I also think the airaid setup is better for a daily driver, but I have seen Sal’s work in this area, and it looked to be top notch.

P.S. Sal, being a Ford DEALER Technician should not sway you to get or not get his chip or products. He is not associated with SVE/SVT, he didn’t program the power robbing spark map or fuel curves, he didn’t put the transmission shift calibration in the program, experienced ENGINEERS did that, and they did it for a reason.

Old 04-19-2000 | 10:36 PM
Hey guys, Sal here. I take pride in my work, and surely that's no secret. I feel my products are the best for several reasons. One is that I put quality before anything else. I won't sell junk, no matter how much I could make off it. And if it takes time to make it right, then that's what it takes. Many people complain about how long it takes to get my filter kits, but every one has said it was worth the wait. That's what matters to me. Another is that I always try to make a product that requires the least amount of modification to the vehicle, retianing it's ability to be put back to stock. Another is that I AM a Ford tech, and that DOES make a difference. I work on Fords all day long. I use Ford specific equipment every day, and I know how to use it right. I have gone to Ford schooling to be properly trained and taught how these systems work. I have access to information and knowledge that most do not. I know what is safe and what can be damaging when it comes to modifying these vehicles. And I know some of the calibrators that worked on the 99 Lightning project and I know the reasons behind most of the calibrations in the PCM. Some of these Ford "engineers" working on the 99 Lightning calibration contacted me "outside" of work for calibration advice on the project. And the last reason is because all I do is Lightnings. I don't tune Mustangs, I don't tune regular F-150s, all I do is Lighntings. Mustang tuners will try to use the tuning skills that they know work on the Mustang, and apply it to the Lightning. This does not allways work. Mustang tuners have no clue about the transmission part of the tuning process. I have spent years working on calibration testing on these transmissions. I know how these trucks work. And I own one. You call Superchips and say you have a detonation problem. They pull up a file and modify it. Now the next guy gets that new calibration, but maybe he didn't need it. So he suffers. And everytime that file gets changed, it gets worse. It's guess work. Do they have a Lightning outside to try it on? I don't think so. So I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, and if you think someone else can make a better, safer chip for your truck, be my quest....

Sorry for the rant, sometimes it just gets to you when you bust your butt to make a good product, and everyone is always so willing to jump on someone else's band wagon because it looks enticing...

------------------
SAL
13.209@104.3mph
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, Nitto Extreme Drags
PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 04-19-2000 | 10:58 PM
Banned
Hey Sal,

I’m surprised that you even responded to the above post from 2000Silverbulletonorder, everyone here knows about your products and even I would of bought your filter and chip if you had time to respond to my emails to you.

I would love it if you had the inclination to ship me your filter and chip so I could dyno run it against my chip and filter. Hell if you can beat mine I’ll pay for them, you can pick any L owner from Dallas to attend the dyno runs, Silver2000, Sixpipes anyone!

I think this is a great opportunity for the winner, I would even modify the comparisons if you liked. Example who has the best shifting transmissions etc….

If you like competition I’m sure you’ll jump on this one.

Old 04-20-2000 | 07:41 AM
The idiots at my dealer have that certificate too. Being a Dealer Tech, does give you more information, but making sure everyone know you work at a Ford Dealer bring with extra responsiblities, that you may not be meeting.

I know what is safe and what can be damaging when it comes to modifying these vehicles.
-Tell that to the Knock Sensor, and send the letter to the transmissions next of kin-

You call Superchips and say you have a detonation problem. They pull up a file and modify it. Now the next guy gets that new calibration, but maybe he didn't need it. So he suffers. And everytime that file gets changed, it gets worse. It's guess work. Do they have a Lightning outside to try it on? I don't think so. So I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, and if you think someone else can make a better, safer chip for your truck, be my quest....
-Dont' get me going about Superchips, 6500 rpm red line, not only is there little point to that but, that has to make your transmission cry. Sal, you are right on about superchips.

Some of these Ford "engineers" working on the 99 Lightning calibration contacted me "outside" of work for calibration advice on the project.
Saying Sal we know you're going to make chips for this thing, PLEASE DON'T BREAK IT. (J/K)

And the last reason is because all I do is Lightnings
I know this guy, that all he does is ..... and he is not very good at it.

Guys/Sal, what I'm trying to say is that Sal doesn't walk on water walk on water, the things he does with / for lightnings are no where near amazing. Most of you have put so much blind faith in this man you have never met.

What to look for in a tuner:

1) Do you trust him (or know enough about calibration to eliminate the trust issue)

2) What kind of software / Hardware is used (I'm really fond of Autologic -Chris Wesley- (same as sal uses), although I'm not that fond of the new chip packaging)

3) Does he do both Driveablity and Dyno tuning?

4) What kind of Dyno does he use? Look for a research grade (most are) eddy current chassis dynomometer. Although a Dyno Jet / Inertial dyno will work, there are just some benifical thing you can't do or do as well as an eddy current.

5) Will he stand behind his work, will he reburn if you have detonation problems later on, or will give you a discount to retune after you have added some new toys?

6) Will he tell you exactly what he did, and does he know why?

[This message has been edited by 2000Silverbulletonorder (edited 04-20-2000).]

Old 04-20-2000 | 08:34 AM
|
redlite,
the gas is about 3,50$ per gallon.

No, I don't own a refinery (yet) but the guy who works at the gas station really likes me and my car.

There's suppose to be no speed limit, but I would say, because of traffic and road work or condition there is a speed limit at about 40% of the Autobahn.

The Lightning was up till the end of the display ~145mph and my Cobra was up to 160mph.

------------------
'99 Cobra with mods
Lightning still stock

Old 04-20-2000 | 09:24 AM
some of the members here (99%) do not live, in dearborne, dallas,houston,orlando or anywhere near a ford "tuner". some of you "connected" people know nothing of Sal's track record with the Gen 1 Lightnings and act like he jumped into this business when the 99's hit the streets. for those us in remote areas that must have "blind faith" in someone for mods, he would be the one. people are not stupid, and there is a reason his products are in a constant backorder situation. i own a supply house and i know how this works

Old 04-20-2000 | 02:32 PM
Hello all..

All this talk is kind of funny.. If you don't like Sal or anyone elses chip.. DON"T BUY IT!! The spread of information and knowledge is what this message board is for..

Enough said..

------------------
Got Boost ?
1999 SVT Lightning

Old 04-22-2000 | 10:23 PM
Dirk

I will be in Brussels for 3 weeks starting Sat. I will buy all the $3.50 gas your L can drink for a high speed pass on the fabled Autobahn... Let me know if you want me to smuggle some bolt on into the country...

All:

I am clueless about chips and dynos and all. I do know about 6 lightning owners who have Sals chip/filter and they are very happy. I dont have blind faith but do as much research as I can and with the lack of qualilty in the service industries these days anyone who has been in the business for a couple years, cant make his product fast enough to keep up with demand and is an enthusiast who owns the vehicle and only works on that model gets my vote. The engineers at Ford worry about the tranny and relaibility but also worry ALOT about EPA and Costs. I dont care about EPA or costs so there is room for improvement in those areas that wont affect reliability.

Doug

Old 04-25-2000 | 08:12 AM
|
Wink

Silver,
send me a note at dkeuper@hotmail.com
and we'll meet in Germany.
It's only a 3 hour drive from Brüssel to the place where I live. (If you have a Lighting with mods it about 2'30hr)

------------------
'99 Cobra with mods
Lightning still stock

Old 04-26-2000 | 01:04 AM
KGM
Question

I believe in ya Sal, now where is my filter? It's been 2 months.

Quick Reply: 1. mods?