Lightning

Had Denotation today???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006 | 07:34 PM
|
Had Denotation today???

Just put on bassani high flow cats & mid pipe, and ripped it off the line then bang! I was like WTF??? Should this happen? My truck is near stock beside a cool-aid intake and FTVB. Do the high flows make it run even richer?

I'll be getting tuned this weekend so hopefully it won't happen again.

Old 03-26-2006 | 08:47 PM
oddly, when I put headers and hi-flows on my a/f went richer.

Old 03-26-2006 | 09:33 PM
|
I guess it was really a backfire and not denotation. I've been reading, and it seems they aren't really the same? I thought both were caused by the fuel escaping the combustion chamber and combusting in the exhaust. Is this correct?

Do I need to worry? What would cause this? My guess was I'm running a little rich with the added high flows.

Old 03-27-2006 | 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Falcon11
I guess it was really a backfire and not denotation. I've been reading, and it seems they aren't really the same? I thought both were caused by the fuel escaping the combustion chamber and combusting in the exhaust. Is this correct?

Do I need to worry? What would cause this? My guess was I'm running a little rich with the added high flows.
no, detonation happens inside the combustion chamber when the gas ignites sooner than it should. this is essentially like hitting the piston with a hammer while it's under its already stressful load. a lot of folks describe it as marbles rattling around. doesn't sound like what you had. nontheless, you need to keep your foot of it til you get that thing tuned for what you've done to it.

Quick Reply: Had Denotation today???