Lightning

really cheap filter mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2000 | 04:29 AM
|
Post really cheap filter mod

I was lucky, it cost me about seven bucks. A friend with a very fast GN donated his old K&N conical filter (new one is costing him $55). I went to a hardware store and bought a ...umm... toilet mounting flange, a scrap piece of 3" PVC pipe, and 3" hose clamp. In about an hour I had a 14" long K&N filter grafted onto the L. The noise is unreal, and boost is off the gauge into the black. Will track test it next Friday, and post results and pics.

------------------
99 Lightning black #2022, cd,tow package,bed rug,roll-n-lock, stock
(13.73 @ 99.74)
98 Cobra coupe laser red
best stock et 13.43 @ 103
one run w/ 3.55 gears 13.34 @ 102 no other mods
former Chevy fan still have a few
72 SS454 11.6 @ 116 (slicks open headers)
68 Camaro 12.2 @ 116 (street tires closed exhast)

Old 04-30-2000 | 07:46 AM
Hey 98,
You have left yourself wide open for a lot of kidding around, you know that... By the way is that new sound like a toilet flushing and is your trucks' name john?....
j/k, imagination is a wonderful thing, as is inovation....good luck with the mod...hope that pvc isn't white in color

Old 04-30-2000 | 09:45 AM
Hey 98_SVT_COBRA, Don't let em' put ya down I have done almost the exact same type of home plumbing job myself. I never actually intended to do it this way. I went and bought a K&N filter charger kit for the L, but either the guy at Canadian Tire used the wrong part number or there is no K&N filter charger for the L. What I got was for a 97 F150. After realizing it wouldn't work I was a lttle pissed. I was to lazy to take it back so decided I would make it work.

In the end you know what they say....If you want it done right(or at all in this case)....you gota do it yourself. Besides it makes your black l and my red one more unique(sp?) then everyone elses. I realy enjoy the whistle of the K&N under light throttle before the super charger whine drowns it out.

------------------
99 Lightning in Pull me over Red.
- Build...#1869, June 2nd 1999. 1 of 1533 red
- K&N Filter Charger Kit.
- Bridgestone P245/70/R16 Winter Dueler's, on steel rims.

Email me at cruecibahl@home.com

Old 04-30-2000 | 02:39 PM
|
It is white PVC, it looks downright horrible. If it show an improvement I will spend some time making it look good.

Old 04-30-2000 | 04:08 PM
Good luck on your filter. I have tried the psp filtr and a homemade one. Both times I lost power. I would sure appreciate it if someone who actually gained some power would try to help me. I usually lose about 3 tenths in the quarter. Do you guys disconnect the battery so the computer will learn the new filter mod right away? When you disconnect the battery do you lose the radio station presets? This loss of power is driving me crazy. If someone would take a little time for some advice it would sure be appreciated.

Quick Reply: really cheap filter mod