Lightning

Engine bay pics..Cleaned it up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006 | 01:58 PM
|
Engine bay pics..Cleaned it up!

Well it only took me about 3 years to finally decide to clean under the hood.I am completly satisfied

Old 03-30-2006 | 02:06 PM
looks real clean

Old 03-30-2006 | 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by QWIK 150
Well it only took me about 3 years to finally decide to clean under the hood.I am completly satisfied
And you should be, IT LOOKS AWESOME

And WOW on the Molding Mod for the Upper Manifold, looks good

Old 03-30-2006 | 03:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
And you should be, IT LOOKS AWESOME

And WOW on the Molding Mod for the Upper Manifold, looks good

That was my way of using up the last of my grill mod molding! It has held up great over a year now. I imagine the phenolic spacers keep the plenum from heating them up to much..lol It seems that they look better w/ a clean engine too.

Old 03-30-2006 | 04:00 PM
Looks great!

A coat of paint on that rusty EGR valve will make it look even better. I painted mine with some high temp grill paint last week and it came out great.

Old 03-30-2006 | 04:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rio J
Looks great!

A coat of paint on that rusty EGR valve will make it look even better. I painted mine with some high temp grill paint last week and it came out great.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-30-2006 | 05:04 PM
Looks Great! Now, it won't be alot of work to maintain that "clean" look if you stay on top of it!

Old 03-30-2006 | 05:15 PM
What did you use to clean the blower, mine is a little corroded and I cant seam to get it clean.. Looks good

Old 03-30-2006 | 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by SVTLIGHTING
What did you use to clean the blower, mine is a little corroded and I cant seam to get it clean.. Looks good

The question should also be, What did you use to clean the engine and bay?

Old 03-30-2006 | 05:49 PM
|
Thank you all for the generous comments, as far as the method of cleaning I had to use a product that I did not want to use. I bought the engine degreaser from my local auto parts store and it was useless. After considering other alternatives I decided to use Simple green. I know that it is corrosive to aluminum because I have seen the effects first hand. There are other human factors involved as well.Such as complete removal of the solvent from the metal.

I decided that I would use straight simple green sprayed from the bottle and rinse the motor 3 cycles at the car wash to remove as much residual solvent from the block and upper end. It seemed to have worked and the motor turned out spectacular. In my opinion Simple green does a superior job @ cleaning the motor, however I do recommend rinsing at least twice.

Vinylex, from Pep Boys is what I used on all rubber and plastic within the engine bay...That was the icing on the cake. It really exceeded my expectations as far as appearance and I now am proud to raise the hood once again at auto shows.

Old 03-30-2006 | 07:09 PM
looks good buddy!

Old 03-30-2006 | 08:59 PM

Looks clean....good job

Old 03-31-2006 | 06:44 PM
QWIK, your engine bay looks really nice. I really need to clean mine now that spring is here. Do you use the high power rinse or the low powered one @ the local car wash when rinsing the engine off?

I also noticed that (on my truck) the circled item in the pic is rusted. Is it necessary to remove it to paint it? It looks like it would take more time to remove it.

Old 03-31-2006 | 06:54 PM
|
Originally Posted by device manager
QWIK, your engine bay looks really nice. I really need to clean mine now that spring is here. Do you use the high power rinse or the low powered one @ the local car wash when rinsing the engine off?

I also noticed that (on my truck) the circled item in the pic is rusted. Is it necessary to remove it to paint it? It looks like it would take more time to remove it.

I used the high pressure but from a distance if that makes sense. I was careful when spraying aroung injectors and plug areas. You do not need to remove EGR valve to paint. I just took a 8.5 X 11 piece of paper and used it as a shield for the engine area. I did use the High temp grill paint. I could use a second spray application but I am in no hurry. The only problem was the black paint is not really drying on the EGR valve phenolic spacer that I have installed. Of fargin' well.Also when I rinsed I put a plastic bag drapped over the MAF and Airfilter/box.Hope this helps. You will be suprised how well it will come clean.I sure was!

Old 04-01-2006 | 08:51 AM
Everything looks great except for the Outrageous Performance sticker(Tommy sucks).

Quick Reply: Engine bay pics..Cleaned it up!