Lightning

Raced a 99 Mustang Cobra Saleen, Supercharged!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2000 | 06:47 AM
|
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Wink Raced a 99 Mustang Cobra Saleen, Supercharged!

Boy did I have a blast. I am 1 and 1 with mustangs. This guy had the 281 with a 8# vortech supercharger. I talked to him after the race. We took it up to about 90 or so, no traffic. I saw the usual tailights in the left turn lane, so I say I am gonna eat this GT, but I get closer, and realize this ain't no GT and I am the one thats gonna get eatin. I throw him a loud muffler-less rev, his window was down, I got him off guard. Its on. I tell my passenger, hang on and keep your eyes open, this is gonna be over quick, 'cause we are about to see some expensive tailights. Light goes green, I keep it in first, and we go slow through the turn. We straighten up, and foot goes to the floor. To my amazement, I start to pull! I pulled a bout half a car length, then 60 comes around, and I look over, and its like we were parked, he just left us standing there. We finally catch up and I tell him to pull over. We chatted for about 5 mins and he's telling me about his car, I say is that supercharged? he says yes, vortech, their next generation supercharger, its not even out yet, but it only runs 8 pounds, doesn't want to blow the engine. He likes my ride and asks who from AK. He said he would have bought one (a Lightning), but the line was too long. I ask him about the race, he said you had me to 60, but thats 'cause I couldn't get traction in first or second, third grabbed, and thats when I took off. His best 60 foot time was something like a 1.7 and he ran it twice in the 1/4. a 12.89 (at 111?unsure)and a 13.2something. Bad launch on the second run. That vortech was super quiet, or my engine drowned out his blower whine. I was all stock, full tank of cash, and a studded tire in the bed for traction. Fun race. Now about that chip...

PS Metallic Blue, Nathan, and others suffering hard times, best of luck, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you guys can pull through. Technology is on your side.

Old 04-30-2000 | 10:18 AM
get some nitrous ..it wont happen again..I raced a lightning with nitrous and it was about the same thing..got me really depressed hehehe..no worries forced induction is good + nitrous is even better.
wellno matter what its still a blast.

Old 04-30-2000 | 07:18 PM
Wow, cool race.

Mike

Old 04-30-2000 | 10:34 PM
Question

Did he buy the Saleen w/out the supercharger?
Because the 99+ S-281's only have the "Saleen Roots S/C".
The S-351's have the Vortech's, or did, before Ford discontinued the 351's...

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 05-01-2000 | 12:29 AM
|
Rest In Peace
I am not sure if it came with the mustang. But he did say it is not on the market yet, and I am sure he said vortech, and not roots. Sweet looking ride

Old 05-01-2000 | 01:13 PM
Thumbs up

yes they are nice looking cars!!!!!

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 05-06-2000 | 02:47 AM
|
Rest In Peace
Hey guys, someone at Ls1 posted of some pics of the Saleen cobra I raced last weekend, I tracked down the site, and its the car of the month at that site. It tells all about the vortech supercharger. http://www.svtclub.com/
Incase anyone is interested.

Old 05-06-2000 | 06:05 PM
Well I think I know what I'm getting next year!

Mike

Old 05-06-2000 | 09:42 PM
Banned
What a load of crap, 400 hp more like 350, and the way he makes it (no low end) he should and could of done better dropping a L engine in and adding a chip.

Big deal?

Yes he could kick my ***, but it's not a big deal considering how much was spent.

In a way, I wish that there where 20,000 Lightning’s made every year then we would have tons of research and products that we could implement for our love's um, I meant to say trucks. That's the ticket.

We could rule the earth. Well sort of!

Old 05-06-2000 | 11:36 PM
f1car, what do you think was the cost on that sucker? The Cobra alone is about the same as an L, right?

Mike

Old 05-07-2000 | 03:39 PM
please...do you even know what a cobra motor is capable of?...you guys run how much boost on a 5.4L and make what? 330rwhp at best stock?...a little 4.6L DOHC with a simple bolt 8lb vortech kit makes well over 400hp at the wheels and makes a cobra a low 12 second car with a decent driver...those 32 valve heads make that little 4.6 way ahead your 5.4...maybe ford should have made the lightning with the 5.4 DOHC from the navigator with an s/c.......

Old 05-07-2000 | 04:11 PM
Banned
Woops me bad, I got the HP and TRQ backwards. The dyno run is really hard to read. Insert foot here!

see link
http://www.svtclub.com/featured.htm

BTW I would guess from the looks it's a $45k-$60k car IMO.

Old 05-07-2000 | 05:30 PM
You guys are really comaparing Apples to oranges.
Look at the dyno plot, the car never made more than 365 ft-lbs of torque and the engine was spun up to 7000 RPM to get the 427 hp.
This will more a 3500 lb Cobra, but the truck with an automatic would be just as fast, if not slower with the cobra engine. You thought the Texans were complaining about bogging problems with their 400 + ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels at 2500 rpm how about 365 ft-lbs max at 5000 rpms, can you say dog off the line...
I know I've said this nearly a 100 times, but I don't think you need a 4 Valve head with an eaton supercharger, you just need a good clean 2 valve head. I really think the SVE-SVT/Roush/PowerTrain engineers did there homework on this combo (the Eaton and 5.4 L PI engine). Restated it makes for a kick *** truck.

Quick Reply: Raced a 99 Mustang Cobra Saleen, Supercharged!