Lightning

Please Read! Built Motor Question- Vendors opinions Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Sorry but it would be pretty hard to prove that your motor IS BETTER than JDM, or JLP, or PSP's. I'm sure it's a great motor but to say you guarantee it's a far better motor........that is your opinion vs the next guy's and it would never be proven without spending millions of dollars dyno testing these motors side by side, with different oil, different temperatures, different boost levels and such.

These lightning vendors like Jim and Johnny have used many combinations with different power levels all on LIGHTNINGs, not mustangs and basically, it doesn't matter how good a mod motor builder you are, it's the experience of what the motor is going in that is JUST AS IMPORTANT IMO.
Well put.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
and Gadget, can you prove your motor is better... You paid less... ok... now tell me why your motor is better.
It has billet rods and Ford GT heads, to name a couple things.

Sorry but it would be pretty hard to prove that your motor IS BETTER than JDM, or JLP, or PSP's. I'm sure it's a great motor but to say you guarantee it's a far better motor........that is your opinion vs the next guy's and it would never be proven without spending millions of dollars dyno testing these motors side by side, with different oil, different temperatures, different boost levels and such.
See above.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Read between the lines. I have the tools, the lift, engine cranes, stands and 5.4 manuals, and mechanical know how to do it, but,. I have built or rebuilt 0 mod motors and would not even attempt to. Especially with some of the horror stories i've read on here (Chris, Casey and others.) I can pull and reinstall the motor no problem but I personally would, and will if the time comes, to leave it up to the guys with experience and that will stand behind it if there is a problem. Good luck on your choice.
I had nothing to do with the build of the built motor that was in my truck and broke. I dropped in a long block valve covers to oil pan.

I am building the next one myself........

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=MISTERgadget]It has billet rods and Ford GT heads, to name a couple things./QUOTE]

sounds a bit better to me

Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
sorry

I had nothing to do with the build of the built motor that was in my truck and broke. I dropped in a long block valve covers to oil pan.
Sorry man, i thought I read that you put yours together, maybe I was thinking of someone else but I know there was a couple that have had issue.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:28 PM
nice

It has billet rods and Ford GT heads, to name a couple things.
Those are nice features, but it doesn't prove anything to be better.

Look at the aluminum block motors JDM has been building. Utilizing the GT blocks and machining them to adapt to a wet sump system. Those are nice features but It hasn't been proven to be better than even their cast block motors which have been pretty bulletproof for the most part. Time will tell. Again, i'm not saying anyone is better than anyone, but if you don't have experience doing something, there's a hell of alot of money to loose. This guys said right out he's finishing school and don't have a ton of money. That means.

Do it once and do it right. Period. Good luck on your build.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
to leave it up to the guys with experience and that will stand behind it if there is a problem. Good luck on your choice.[/QUOTE]
and who would that be? dont seem like any of the vendors stand behind anwthing ITS ALWAYS YOUR FAULT

Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Those are nice features, but it doesn't prove anything to be better.
It's stronger and flows more air. I used one of the best modular engine builders in the country, so we can assume the quality of the work is equal. I'd say it's better.

Do it once and do it right. Period. Good luck on your build.
Thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 PM
As it's been mentioned, there is more than one quality motor builder, it seems to me that JL and JDM really have there motor programs together, but so does Sal at PSP, Dante and any one of a host of builders. If is was on a buget, I would stick with a proven package (read- don't go trying any new cams trying to make an extra 10hp only to tear up a motor you can't afford to fix) and I would pick one of the big three, John, JDM or Sal.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM
ok

It's stronger and flows more air. I used one of the best modular engine builders in the country, so we can assume the quality of the work is equal. I'd say it's better.
Says who?

That's what i'm getting at.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by MISTERgadget

Thanks
Please enlighten us as to who this builder of super-engines is....

Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Ahhh.. This is amusing.

JLP, JDM, PSP all Outsource machining and possibly the building of their shortblocks. I know JLP and PSP does, as they admitted it on here in threads, I can't picture jdm with all the machining equipment inhouse.

There will be an interesting article this summer regarding the build up of a 5.4L lightning motor. You are going to be amazed how little it cost and how much power it puts out.

Sell your block, reuse your crank and pistons (they are forged), get a new NVH block (ready to go out of the box) Get some decent connecting rods, arp bolts and gaskets and bearings your short block is done.

Polish the ports in the heads and that will be enough for some major gains.

Then spray the p!ss out of it!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
can't forget about
vtengines.com

Old 04-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Like I mentioned there are many builders that can provide you with a quality long or shortblock, I didn't mention VT, my apologies. As for in house or not on the machining, I really don't care, as long as it's done right and the assembly is balanced properly, I'm sure a short block can be built very reasonably, but can I do it, no, would I try, no, I'll spend the money and have it done by right, the first time by someone that's done hundred or two.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Ahhh.. This is amusing.

JLP, JDM, PSP all Outsource machining and possibly the building of their shortblocks. I know JLP and PSP does, as they admitted it on here in threads, I can't picture jdm with all the machining equipment inhouse.

:
Actually, while I was picking up my truck with its new motor, I got a tour of JDM's new "clean room" for engine assembly. It will be quite a nice place when finished. I also know he has a full time engine builder working in house that has quite an impressive background. Does that make his engines better? Maybe. I say look at the track records...how many blown engines have you seen from JDM or JL?

Quick Reply: Please Read! Built Motor Question- Vendors opinions Welcome!