Lightning

Please Read! Built Motor Question- Vendors opinions Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Read! Built Motor Question- Vendors opinions Welcome!

Right now, I am 21 yr old and just finishing school (so not a ton of money yet) but, I have to build a motor before this one lets loose. How much do I need to save to swap in a built motor, and how much could I save myself by doing the extraction of the old/installation of the new motor myself?

My other IDEA...OPINIONS NEEDED...what about if I took my motor out, with 25k on it, great condition, and took it to someone for forged rods and better pistons? I give someone my motor (out of the truck) and want the rods/pistons installed and then the motor put back together.....Good OR Bad idea? What would this cost me, anyone interested in doing this...At YOUR convenience??? Thanks for Any Replies!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Does this guy sound like me OR WHAT

All I'll say is, IT DEPENDS WHAT YOUR AFTER ???

I DID have my original Motor rebuilt, (at 12K) and yes it was much cheaper,
you should be able to do it for @ 5K

BUT, to do it without Heads and Cams is crazy, I tried it and I wasnt able to get the power out of it I was hoping for. After pushing it and pushing it I broke the Motor and had to start completely over.

2nd time I did EVERYTHING, my heads are ported so frigging big you can pass a farm animal through them, I have AWESOME cams, make unbelievable power, and drive it daily.

To acheive over 600 RWHP it'll cost you @10K on the low end, and 12-14K if you also have to do the Convertor, Exhaust, Intake, Fuel System etc.....
In the end it now cost me over 25K in motors

DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE

Old 04-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Rob .. In your case it's only MONEY ... once heard when you walk into the
Lightning goodies Store all that GREEN stuff is always falling out your pockets
Woooooooooooo Hoooooooo must be nice.
WQ

As always? Rob is right on target.

Last edited by WickedQuick-L; 04-08-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
Does this guy sound like me OR WHAT

All I'll say is, IT DEPENDS WHAT YOUR AFTER ???

I DID have my original Motor rebuilt, (at 12K) and yes it was much cheaper,
you should be able to do it for @ 5K

BUT, to do it without Heads and Cams is crazy, I tried it and I wasnt able to get the power out of it I was hoping for. After pushing it and pushing it I broke the Motor and had to start completely over.

2nd time I did EVERYTHING, my heads are ported so frigging big you can pass a farm animal through them, I have AWESOME cams, make unbelievable power, and drive it daily.

To acheive over 600 RWHP it'll cost you @10K on the low end, and 12-14K if you also have to do the Convertor, Exhaust, Intake, Fuel System etc.....
In the end it now cost me over 25K in motors

DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE

new block = 400
new crank = 400
forged rods w/ arp bolts= 600
nice set of pistons = 600
oil pump = 65
all new gaskets = 400
arp head studs = 200
arp main studs = 120

fox lake stage 1 heads = 1500
fox lake stage 2 heads = 1800

assembly = 1000
machining = 500

total ~7k for a complete motor, reuse your oil pan and other stuff

not getting raped by jim = priceless

Old 04-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by MISTERgadget
new block = 400
new crank = 400
oil pump = 65
all new gaskets = 400
arp head studs = 200
arp main studs = 120

assembly = 1000
machining = 500

$7000 for a built motor per InspectorGadget
$3-4000 to fix the motor b/c you listen to someone that assumes everyone knows how to build a motor

Do yourself a favor and use a vendor if you are not experienced with mod motors. When you nickle and dime something, thats what you get. You have mutltiple choices, JDM, JLP, PSP and many more.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
$7000 for a built motor per InspectorGadget
$3-4000 to fix the motor b/c you listen to someone that assumes everyone knows how to build a motor

Do yourself a favor and use a vendor if you are not experienced with mod motors. When you nickle and dime something, thats what you get. You have mutltiple choices, JDM, JLP, PSP and many more.
Take it to a good mod motor builder. Dante, Boss330, Ronnie Crawford, and the list goes on.

If you take 10 minutes to look through a few mustang boards you can quickly learn that the vendors here arent the only ones who can build a motor.

I paid less for my motor than a JDM longblock is and I guarantee you it's a far better motor.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Take it to a good mod motor builder. Dante, Boss330, Ronnie Crawford, and the list goes on.

If you take 10 minutes to look through a few mustang boards you can quickly learn that the vendors here arent the only ones who can build a motor.

I paid less for my motor than a JDM longblock is and I guarantee you it's a far better motor.

E-luzion great assumption Not to be a **** but I know gadget and from your post it seems clear that you don't. I think anyone who knows him can honestly say that when he is thinking about purchasing something he does his research and then some. Don't assume he is clueless because it may go against the grain.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:19 PM

Old 04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
new block = 400
new crank = 400
oil pump = 65
all new gaskets = 400
arp head studs = 200
arp main studs = 120

assembly = 1000
machining = 500

That's kinda what I was thinking...
Patriot Stage II Heads $1295
New Forged Rods $600-800
New Forged 9:1 Comp Pistons $600-800
New Gaskets & ARP Studs 800-900
Maybe Cams ???
HOW MUCH FOR ASSEMBLY ???

Part Total Around $5-5250 At most... So now for Assembly....

And how much would I be saving by taking out/installing the motor by myself?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by 94_302

E-luzion great assumption Not to be a **** but I know gadget and from your post it seems clear that you don't. I think anyone who knows him can honestly say that when he is thinking about purchasing something he does his research and then some. Don't assume he is clueless because it may go against the grain.
Go re-read my post.. i never said Gadget didn't know what he was talking about or anything relating to his motor.

I am saying that just b/c someone posts up all those values for parts and has a motor builder build a motor doesnt necessarily mean the motor will be built properly. Yes you might be able to get the parts cheaper on your own, but I would def. want someone with a lot of experience to be build my 500-600hp+ motor. Look what happened to SVT150 and the whole OP. I also mentioned there were many other builders, not just the 3 I mentioned.

Good try at a shot down 94_302, better luck next time

and Gadget, can you prove your motor is better... You paid less... ok... now tell me why your motor is better.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
Go re-read my post.. i never said Gadget didn't know what he was talking about or anything relating to his motor.
You didnt have to, you basically implied going that route will lead to a 3-4k extra dent in your wallet. When you could have asked details to begin with then make your assumption. But I'm not trying to turn this into type of thread. There are a lot of builders out there good and bad. Good luck with your build OCSSleeper.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:10 PM
In B4 DA LOCK

Old 04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by 94_302
You didnt have to, you basically implied going that route will lead to a 3-4k extra dent in your wallet. When you could have asked details to begin with then make your assumption. But I'm not trying to turn this into type of thread. There are a lot of builders out there good and bad. Good luck with your build OCSSleeper.
I didnt imply anything, if the engine is not built from someone who knows what they are doing, it could cost the purchaser more money.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 PM
don't do it yourself

have it built. If not from one of our tuners here, any reputable mod motor builder. There is a few out in cali, and some down in florida. They build not only lightning , but mustang motors as well.

We happen to have a few guys here that have done probably more testing on these 5.4 motors then some of the other mod motor guys. Jlp and Jdm have some real good motor programs going. Sal also has some motors out there as well. No matter who you deal with, i'm sure there is always a cheaper price somewhere. Remember this though.

A) you get what you pay for.
B) If you want it good and fast, it won't be cheap.
C) If you want it cheap and fast, it won't be good
D) If you want it good and cheap, it won't be fast.

Read between the lines. I have the tools, the lift, engine cranes, stands and 5.4 manuals, and mechanical know how to do it, but,. I have built or rebuilt 0 mod motors and would not even attempt to. Especially with some of the horror stories i've read on here (Chris, Casey and others.) I can pull and reinstall the motor no problem but I personally would, and will if the time comes, to leave it up to the guys with experience and that will stand behind it if there is a problem. Good luck on your choice.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:47 PM
sorry

Sorry but it would be pretty hard to prove that your motor IS BETTER than JDM, or JLP, or PSP's. I'm sure it's a great motor but to say you guarantee it's a far better motor........that is your opinion vs the next guy's and it would never be proven without spending millions of dollars dyno testing these motors side by side, with different oil, different temperatures, different boost levels and such.

These lightning vendors like Jim and Johnny have used many combinations with different power levels all on LIGHTNINGs, not mustangs and basically, it doesn't matter how good a mod motor builder you are, it's the experience of what the motor is going in that is JUST AS IMPORTANT IMO.

Quick Reply: Please Read! Built Motor Question- Vendors opinions Welcome!