Lightning

Removing bed need assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bed bolts are often very difficult to remove. You'll find the task a lot easier if you use an impact driver; the tool that's about 1.5" diameter and 8 incheds long that you hit wih a hammer to loosen it. Sears sells 'em and so does every motorcycle shop. You can't get to the bottom of all of them with liquid wrench and I think the factory used salt water as a lubricant to install them. I had to grind the head off one and remove the rest of the bolt once the bed was off. Lots of liquid wrench and a stud remover for that one. Other than the bolts, the removal process is easy.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by tallimeca
Going to change my fuel pumps, as well as check for a couple exhaust leaks and clean up the frame a bit.

I did a search and came up with a few tips. Im going to just remove the bed and lift it with my lift. What I got is there are 6 bed bolts, a wiring harness, and the fill tube for the gas tank.

My question is are there any other components I have to take care of before I lift the bed??

What do I need for tools (are the bed bolts torx???)
Don't forget to pull the breather hose that runs from the axle to the bottom of the bed...

Old 04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
up

You'll find the task a lot easier if you use an impact driver; the tool that's about 1.5" diameter and 8 incheds long that you hit wih a hammer to loosen it.
Yup, I have one in my shop. Great for exhaust bolts.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:57 PM
ford has some kind of locktite they use and its some super stuff... but add in road grime and corrosion just makes it worse.. Friends 05 ranger brand new i had a time getting some to bust loose when we took the bed off to do his air ride suspenison and custom 4link

Old 04-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
when i pulled my bed, i didnt know about the axle vent tubing, broke the clip, no biggie tho, Scratched my cab, a little pissed about that one, but the whole truck has scratches and chips anyways.

Hadnt heard anyone else mention it, but there are (on my bed) braces just infront of and just behind the wheel well, three bolts a piece. Just a tubular piece of steel that bolts to the under side of bed and a cross member i believe.
-Patrick

Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 AM
just got home

long day, just got home. I'll put a post up with some pics tomorrow. Some ups and downs, but I'll have a good how to for people that have never done it before.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Done it twice .
Once with the three helpers to change fuel pumps.
The second time with a engine hoist and four tiedowns and just me.
Take off the rear bumper.
I tried to do it without removing it and caused more problems than the four bolts could have ever been.

Quick Reply: Removing bed need assistance.