Lightning

Results of 2000+ miles on the L&S Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Results of 2000+ miles on the L&S Oil Separator

I have been running the L&S Oil Separator ever since I put the built engine in. I have put about 2500 miles on the new engine. I pulled the blower today to do the JLP Plenum and I just wanted to show some pictures of the intercooler after just 2500 miles...

Here is a pic of what the I/C looked like before with 30K miles and an LFP oil separator...

Here is what the I/C looked like after I cleaned it. This was during the R&R of the new engine. The L&S was ran after this until now.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

And here is how it looked today when I pulled the blower...

Not too bad at all. It definitely doesn't keep all of the oil from entering the intake. However, I have checked the front of the TB and the intake elbow for oil and they are spotless. The rotors on the KB also looked great.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:38 AM
I found the same; helped a lot but didn't stop it all. I switched to the AMW catch can and had none getting through anymore.

Jody

Old 04-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Looks good... I had a tag of oil getting by most likely because of all the boost. I put in a couple of little friends that seem to help... :-)

Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by camcojb
I found the same; helped a lot but didn't stop it all. I switched to the AMW catch can and had none getting through anymore.

Jody
I have been thinking about an AMW catch can so I'm glad to hear they work. They are a little pricey but the quality looks top notch. My only question there is are you using a seperate check valve between the intake and the catch can? According to the AMW instructions forced induction engines should use it to keep undesired pressure on the vacuum side from going into the catch can. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of check valve I should use?

Last edited by rheagrimm; 04-15-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:06 PM
You're comparing 30K to 2.5K. So for just 2.5K I'm really not impressed with the amount of oil you have there. Seems like a hell of alot. You also spend almost $200 for the separator and IMO it doesn't go a great job. Sorry but for that kind of money, I would expect more.IMO

TB

Quick Reply: Results of 2000+ miles on the L&S Oil Separator