Lightning

Can anyone help?! NYS state inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can anyone help?! NYS state inspection question

I went to get my 03' L inspected the other day and got some bad news. It wouldn't go through the silly emmission test we have here in NYS. I have NO check engine light...whats the deal? The tech at my local dealer tested my truck with a scantool (NGS?) and said that I had emmission tests that did not go through. He said something about a "catalyst" , O2, and EGR test that weren't ready. He asked if I changed the battery or tuned the pcm. I told him about my Xcal2 and he seemed cool with everything, but said that I might need a "drive cycle". What exactly do I need to do? I've put about 400 miles on my truck since I changed my tune.
My truck is moderately modified with ported Eaton, 6lb lower, Accufab TB, Dynatech LTs and cats, tuned w/ Xcal2.
Can anybody tell me what could be wrong. I'm rather concerned since my inspection is due at the end of the month. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Suspended
A cycle consists of doing specific sets of accelerating, cruising at certain speeds for a fixed amount of time etc. so it can sometimes be done in a day, sometimes a few weeks to hit thw quotas.

I'm not positive though on exactly WHAT each requirement is.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Sounds like you may have a P1000 code which means:

OBDII Monitor Testing Incomplete.

It very well could be something to do with the program you uploaded with your XCal2. 400 miles is more then enough to complete a “drive cycle” a “drive cycle” must be completed in order to clear the P1000 code and until that is done you will never pass the emissions test.

I would recommend you install the stock program and then drive until you have completed a “drive cycle”

Here is more information on the “drive cycle”:

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Description of OBDII Drive Cycle

The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBDII monitors and to clear the Ford P1000, I/M readiness code. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the "OBDII Monitor Exercised" column.

When the ambient air temperature is outside 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F), or the altitude is above 2438 meters (8000 feet), the EVAP monitor will not run.

If the P1000 code must be cleared in these conditions, the PCM must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be "bypassed" and the P1000 cleared. The Evap "bypassing" procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBDII Drive Cycle will be performed using a scan tool. Consult the instruction manual for each described function. NOTE: A detailed description of a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset is found in this section, refer to the table of contents.

Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1. Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.

2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.

3. The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

WARNING
STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:

1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset.

2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE. Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off.

3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until ECT is at least 76.7°C (170° F).

4. Is IAT within 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F)? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass " the Evap monitor and clear the P1000.

5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes.

6. Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85%

7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period.

8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.

10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (o to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) , activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times.

11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times.

12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13.

13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor.
Note: if the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 4.4 to 37.8° C (40 to 100° F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed.
Proceed to step 14.

14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh never mind,
Sport hooked you up

All I can add is, relax, no prob, nothing to worry about
My truck passes NY inspection with flying colors and thats with nothing stock on it, everything is aftermarket; motor, heads, cams, injectors, maf, pumps, upper, supercharger, lt headers, hf cats, dual mufflers, you name it. AMOF the last two years I dont tell them nothing, I hand them the keys and it passes no prob. And I dont even have a EGR System on it and my Cats are nothing more than two hollow extentions more or less.

I got a good guy out in Suffolk County that does mine every year, RT 112 Medford (LIE 64)
If you have a continued problem let me know but as Sport just said you must get through this Cycle situation before it'll pass. Sal from PSP expalined it all to me one night and explained exactly what your experiencing.

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 04-15-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Just to clarify my post I didn’t mean to insinuate that a performance program or modifications to his truck is the reason it is failing the test but rather perhaps something with his program is not letting the PCM complete its cycle.

For example I know some programs have the rear O2’s shut off and that can cause a P1000 to never go away.

I have to admit I don’t know all, or many of the reasons why a P1000 code will not go away but just that it is very likely the performance program uploaded from the XCal2 which is causing the problem.

That is the reason I suggested he just reload the stock program in and see if the P1000 code goes away within 30 – 50 miles of driving…

Old 04-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Just to make you feel a bit better about the P1000 I experienced that last year when I had to have my Lightning inspected. I had just received my Auto Enginuity software and wanted to play around with it.

So, while I was playing and monitoring and recording data I decided once I was done to clear any pending codes. What that did was just like disconnecting the battery which clears the memory in the PCM, at least as it relates to any codes you may have as well as completed emissions test.

I found this out when I took it in last year and they told me I needed a driving cycle. As soon as they told me that I realized what I did. It took about 25 miles or so of driving to complete the test and clear the P1000 code.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
there's nothing wrong with mine, but fk that I'm trying #8 anyway

8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

Ya right I wish. I'd die to be able to go 1/2 to 3/4 throttle from a dead stop on the street, but ah wtf I'll try it anyway

Old 04-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you very much Sport and Rob, I'll try to run through the drive cycle info you supplied Sport.
Dumb question?......if I return my truck to the "stock" program with my noted mods, will the truck run right? Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by SVT527
Thank you very much Sport and Rob, I'll try to run through the drive cycle info you supplied Sport.
Dumb question?......if I return my truck to the "stock" program with my noted mods, will the truck run right? Thanks again.
You’re welcome…

You’re best bet is to contact your tuner and ask them. While you’re at it you may want to ask if they know if it’s possible the program they provided you is causing the problem. In any regards to be safe talk with your tuner and at the very least if you do upload your stock program drive safely, as in not getting into it…

Old 04-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks again Sport. I'm gonna contact my tuner 1st thing Mon. Better safe, than sorry...

Quick Reply: Can anyone help?! NYS state inspection question