Lightning

Built motor Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006 | 09:17 PM
|
Built motor Q's

Ok well ive been pondering on selling the truck since i no longer call it driveable for a dd, but i got to thinking the whole reason i went built was mainly not to blow it up so maybee if i made it more back towards my older setup i think id enjoy it more. So this has me thinking With a built block and ported eaton with a say 8lb lower be able to run on the stock injectors? I would then run a sct mass air and the big pumps because id juice it then for the track runs. I just feel like the combo of the pro-m mass air, accufab tb, kb, 60lb injectors are just making the truck not real driveable. I mihgt be wrong in my line of thinking here. Lemme hear some thoughts on this

Last edited by LatemodelRacer2; 04-17-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2006 | 09:19 PM
i think that pro-m mass air is the culprit

Old 04-17-2006 | 09:25 PM
I think the Pro-M might be the culprit as well. I think with a built/cammed motor and a proper tune, you can certainly have a reliable and fun to drive daily driver. Many people have put high miles on built blocks even with KB's, and have perfectly running trucks. I just had mine built. It has ported heads, cams, and an MP. I went with 60's, a SCT MAF, and a couple tunes by JDM. It has a little lump at idle, and its a LITTLE rough when cold, but I already have 2000 miles on it. I would say get your accesories (maf injectors pumps ect) nailed down, and get a good tune in it and you will be very happy with your truck again. You don't have to go all out race like some guys, just set it up the way you want!

Old 04-17-2006 | 11:51 PM
|
Sounds like the pro-m is the culprit. This accufab tb isnt helping any i dont think either. If i can run a 8lb lower with a port with my motor on stock injectors, then im leaning towards selling the 60lb injectors and KB.

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:05 AM
Dibs on the KB!
alord99@hotmail.com

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by whip
Dibs on the KB!
alord99@hotmail.com
Dang I'm too late.

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:27 AM
I'd say your problem is the ProM and the tune. Get a SCT BA2400 maf and get it tuned. If it's tuned right then you won't have any problems driving it. The only side effect might be some big cams, but on a good tune they won't bother you one bit.

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:44 AM
Ditch the Pro-M and step down to something like the stage1 (262) Comp Cams. Keep the KB running a 3.25 upper and 8# lower. The drivability will be much more like stock but you should still be able to put down 540-550 HP on a street tune.

It's the cams that make all these built motors less fun to drive on the street. They sound sweet when idling but shake the truck way too much for a daily driver. The on-off throttle drivability at light throttle has to suffer too.

I'm running a KB with 55# injectors, single blade throttle body and SCT MAF on a stock motor. The everyday drivability is as good or better than bone stock. I know a guy who is running ported heads (he spit a plug) and stock cams with his stock block. Drivability has been great for him.

It's the duration and lobe seperation in the radical cams that take the fun out of daily street driving no matter what anybody comes on here trying to tell you. I think a couple of guys on here like Don C and Brian K opted for greater lobe seperation (around 116 degrees) for better drivability but stepping down to a 262 duration is a sure bet.

You will give up 20-30 HP but it will drive much more like stock and you will love it on the street again.

Old 04-18-2006 | 09:54 AM
|
ok i have everyone on the pro-m its gone i have a ba2400 sitting here. now on the cams that sounds like a good idea but how hard of an install would that be? Also i have a JDM longblock so what cams do i even have anyway?

Old 04-18-2006 | 11:38 AM
Around the time period you bought the motor JDM was using Crower stage II cams.

I've ridden in Dealerjim's truck with the old stage II Crowers and the newer custom grind cams Jim uses now. It would be fun for a while but I could tell that I would be ready to take them out of a daily driver in no time.

I think most of the younger guys like the big cams longer but you see an awful lot of them for sale after they have them for about a year.

SVT150 (Mat) made the comment that he felt like he had finally went too far when he caged his. Needless to say he sold it.

You have to figure out what you want out of your truck, an all out race truck, stronger motor with added HP for the street or somewhere in between. The somewhere in between is where most people lose the enjoyment.

Old 04-18-2006 | 11:46 AM
LTNBOLT,

I completely agree with you. I'm contemplating a long block now. I think I might just got with stage 1 cams, and make up the difference with nitrous. Only time I would need that extra 30hp would be at the track anyways.

I am the exact opposite of a lot of requests. I want my truck to idle smooth, and to be as quiet as possible. I'm planning on going turbo next year anyways, and if Frank5L can make over 600 with the stock long block, than that's plenty for me.

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:06 PM
You can really smooth the idle out with a tune, but it just takes the time to do it. You will also more than likely have to live with a higher idle to get it smoother.

A lot of the fun goes away when you are constantly trying to be the fastest baddest with your new built motor. I recently went out on Nitto's and 11#'s of boost. I had a blast going a simple 7.6 with a passenger not even trying. More practice I could see a 7.4 out of it.

What I'm getting at is some need to slow down and have fun with what they got.

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:20 PM
The two Mods I regretted the most:

1. Stage 2 Cams
2. Longtubes

I hope to solve both of those problems with my Turbo setup:

1.Turbo grind cams = smooth idle and great drivabilty
2.Turbo + large muffler = Quiet

I am already MUCH happier with the exhaust on my 93L now that it has a Turbo, so I cant wait to finish up the 03L

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by KB ZILLA
The two Mods I regretted the most:

1. Stage 2 Cams
2. Longtubes

I hope to solve both of those problems with my Turbo setup:

1.Turbo grind cams = smooth idle and great drivabilty
2.Turbo + large muffler = Quiet

I am already MUCH happier with the exhaust on my 93L now that it has a Turbo, so I cant wait to finish up the 03L

Which cam are you going with?

Old 04-18-2006 | 01:00 PM
I have to admit that I would like mine quieter.........

Quick Reply: Built motor Q's