Lightning

Best specs for 2000L CHIP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2000, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

isn't it great to be in demand, thats why i bought a superchip to tide me over, while sal makes me a custom chip.
"the good life is expensive, there are other ways,but thats not "the good life". (some rich guy). i hope one day, to have 2 of everything for this truck, so i can send out my psp filter for debugging,while my airaid is pulling filter duty.

Old 05-11-2000, 11:20 PM
Sal,
I have always had good luck with the hypertech programmers with Chevy's.I do however completly understand your point.I would not want to lose the factory program by any chance.You are also right about limited uses.The Chevy programmers actually can adjust alot of stuff.The ford programmers are useless.Ive seen almost no gains by the ford programmers.Ive seen a lightning run slower and also only 2 tenths better with the hypertech.It is clear your chip outperforms this by far.Thanks for the input.They also do not have any better throttle response.It is only WOT.I like alot of us is desperatly waiting for more of your filters!

Old 05-12-2000, 12:05 AM
tvw
Alphadoggy,

I visited that web site but didn't seen any L products. Presumably they are too new to list. Would you expand a bit on the (technical) advantages gained by using Danny Swanson's chip over Superchips or Sal's versions? TIA.

-tvw

Old 05-12-2000, 12:41 AM
Cool

tvw, Swanson's chip plugs into service port. No scraping terminals, easy to remove, no smoking gun when servicing truck.

Old 05-12-2000, 03:05 AM
Well guys, 14 posts, and not one additional fact. Let me address a couple issues and hopefully we can get back on track.
#1 Alphadoggy - I spoke at length with Danny Swanson a couple weeks ago. Here is the essence of what he said: he got 40 hp from a 99 Lightning burning his chip right off the dyno. He did not indicate there was any track testing to go along with this one shot tuning, to get maximum overall improvement. He just purchased his own 2000L, but had not done any testing with it or any other Lightning at that time. If you want to be the guinea pig go ahead. He charges $350 for a single program chip + $150/hour for the dyno time.
#2 It's a shame, we got Sal's attention with this topic, but we did not get him to answer any of the topic questions. Also, we did not get him to confirm that he has done actual dyno testing on the 2000L / CUX2.
#3 Superchips had tested 3 2000L's as of 2 weeks ago, but we have no confirmation from any 2000 owners on the issue of lost boost of the line or on the 1-2 shift.
#4 Lightningquick - Thank you for your imput. I am sure you are as interest in getting this info as anyone here, being you had problems with your 99L and would like not to repeat them on your new 00L.
Any of you experts/ duffers with some Y2K performance hardware on your trucks - PLEASE HELP US OUT !

Old 05-12-2000, 04:01 PM
Back2Ford

I have the Superchip installed on my Y2K. I have not had it at the track yet to post any times. I installed it last night. I took it out last night and did 8-12 almost WOT starts (massive wheelspin). I had the throttle pinned on the 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 shift. I experienced no loss of boost at any time. IMHO, I would wait for Sal's chip, if you have the patience. I didn't. The reason I would, is the general consensus here is PSP is better. I am happy with the Superchip, but I'll always wonder if the PSP is just a little better.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:29 PM
I installed my superchip about a week ago on my 2000L I also have the Air Raid. I have done 8 WOT with 1st to 2nd shifts. I have not expericened and boost loss, lag or Pinging. It now shifts at 5400 rpm and pulls a lot harder. I think the chip is worth the money!

Old 05-12-2000, 04:46 PM
I forgot to say I have the 5600RPM shift point.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:57 PM
2000-TRADEIN

Did you request the 5600 shift of did you just get it that way,

Mike

Old 05-12-2000, 05:20 PM
After emailing and talking with Mike I decided to go with the 5600RPM. I had heard about possible rev limiter problems, but I felt pretty confident after talking to Mike about it. I'm going to Firebird tonight to test it out.

Old 05-12-2000, 08:08 PM
Back2Ford - for # 3 the CUX2 program is based on dyno testing for the 00 L. Tampabaylightning was one of the guys that went over. For "C" I was told that you can only get the new program for the 00 L on a flip chip (part # 1300). The one I ordered came with the stock program (CUX2) and the modified program (CUX2R2). From my point of view this is a little silly as I don't plan on running the stock program, so a single program chip would have been fine. If I wanted to run stock I could have just left it the way it was. I have tried both positions on the chip and in MHO the R2 side does make a difference. Is the R2 program all it could be or all that you could get? No, but I feel that I got what I was looking for and paid for.

Just my .02 worth

Old 05-12-2000, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the imput guys. It seems like the Superchip original program was 5400rpm and the R2 program changed to 5600rpm after the actual dyno runs were made. I look forward to hearing about the track runs.
It also appears that no one has a PSP 2000L chip on the board. Is one really available?
The one e-mail I received from Sal last week said that he was temporarily out of chips (not just filters). I am still curious and have yet to hear if he has dyno run the 2000L. My guess is Sal is not responding with specifics for fear that any good feedback would be misinterpreted as him trying to sell his product (which is not allowed on this board). Then again, maybe not. Maybe he has not actually had the time to start working on the 00L CUX2's and is avoiding comment so people will wait for his "best effort" to become available.

Old 05-13-2000, 01:42 AM
First of all I know many people in the performance industry...and those people know more people..you get the point. Danny Swanson dynos all his cars at R&D Dyno in Redondo Beach ,Ca. Yes he has a 2000L but he has not and I REPEAT NOT done a chip for his truck yet. 99's yes and with a gain of lets see... he says 325 at the wheels stock and 368 when they leave. He does alot of work on mustangs and he knows how to tune them . Before you jump into buying a chip just figured I would let you know some background.
Personally I would recommend the two heavyweight contenders that have been here and been blasted...SAL and Mike you can send me a chip anytime your ready...I would be happy to run your banner on the front of the truck !! I do attend all races in the southern california area...anybody thinkin about doin some pistons???? I got connections at JE..
later,
seb www.nxtlevelracing.com

Old 05-13-2000, 04:30 PM
n20boy Comment made....
Yes he has a 2000L but he has not and I REPEAT NOT done a chip for his truck yet. 99's yes and with a gain of lets see... he says 325 at the wheels stock and 368 when they leave. He does alot of work on mustangs and he knows how to tune them .

Yes Danny Swanson has done a chip for his 2000 L' and I might add I benefited along with several others very well from it.

I called him less than a month ago and had him burn a chip for my 2000 L'. I received it Tuesday before the Fun Ford Weekend here in the Houston area(Baytown)I didn't have time to install it till Wednesday night and was amazed at how well the truck performed. Only problem I had was the way it shifted 1-2 under normal driving. WOT was GREAT!!! I called and talked to Danny that Thursday and explained to him my thoughts. He said to send him back the chip and he would take care of it. That he had burned one for his truck and fixed, what I felt, was a shifting problem. I had a tough time wanting to remove the chip and send back. The seat of pants feeling is remarkable. Without it the truck is real wimpy.....

Well.... I received my chip back this Thursday and put it in last night and ran the hell out of the truck. It is wonderful!!! The shifting for NOT WOT is nice and smooth, firm but not too firm. WOT..... a real tire chipper 1-2, pulls hard and shifts at 5600 RPM.

I have no problem recommending Danny Swanson. He will answer your e-mail and his phone and talk to you discuss any problems and get them resolved.

Sal's chip... I'm sure is great, Superchip I'm also sure is great, I chose Danny Swanson cause he will talk to you and is very helpful.

My $10 worth...

------------------
John Armstrong

2000 Red Lightning

[This message has been edited by jarmstro (edited 05-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jarmstro (edited 05-13-2000).]

Old 05-13-2000, 05:14 PM
Hhhmmm as of about one and a half weeks ago he didnt have it done.....at least not on his ( Black 2000L). I take it you live close to his shop? Or close to R&D Dyno? Or have seen it for yourself in his truck huh? Im not in anyway trying to put a downer on anything he does...he can tune and is very good at it. But dont believe everything you hear. Im glad you have no problem with his chip...Im still planning on chipping my L as well and its good that its working good for you. I might drop by there AGAIN since I am close to his shop. Hey let us know when you dyno your truck with his chip in it ok? If it works great...but I need to see numbers.

Quick Reply: Best specs for 2000L CHIP!