Lightning

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2000, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Problems

Ever since I had my new 2000 Lightning it had a vibration that I wasn't really sure of. About a week and a half ago, I went under the truck and noticed that the seal on the end of the tranny was leaking fluid so I called the dealer. The L is in the shop now, but their not sure if the tranny is damaged and are repairing the seal. The will test the tranny tommorrow once the obviously busted seal/bearing is fixed. It was short a quart when they checked it today. What do you guys think, whats the possibility that the tranny is messed up and will need replacing. Do any of you have experiance with this problem on any car. Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

------------------
2000 Lightning
Stock

Old 05-25-2000, 06:10 PM
Exclamation

Get it replaced, the sooner the better. I think I was the first on this board to experience this problem, and there have been at least 2 others. Looks like you're the third.

Get the tranny replaced.

~rick

------------------
lightning_svt@hotmail.com
2000 Ford F-150 Lightning

Old 05-25-2000, 11:01 PM
I was one of the transmission transplants ( as well as an engine).

See:

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/003247.html

Mine never leaked, just vibration.

Get it replaced if you can.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning Born 3-8-00 / Delivered 3-22-00
22% Window Tint, Clear Corners, MPulse LoPro Tonneau, AIM 2" Drop Shackles, Bed Rug

'99 Yukon Denali - Silver, Lowered 1", Borbet CW4's, 285/60R18 Toyo Proxes S/T's, Hotchkis AntiSways, Edelbrock Shocks

2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

Old 05-25-2000, 11:17 PM
Exclamation

The thing is, my situation dosen't really sound like the problem you had What. Everything sounds fine when I'm giving it gas, it when I let it coast from 4000-3500 rpms it vibrates. I know now that it's the driveshaft shaking around in the tranny because the bearing is trashed. Since the bearing is also the seal it has a slow drip. Now what caused this bearing to bust is another story all together. Unless it's simply a bad bearing which just seems too easy a solution to be true. I just hope it didnt mess up the tranny. What should it normally feel like? Does it chirp gears or what? I've never really beat the truck it only has 1000 miles, so not sure what to do or what i can do if they say it's fine. Oh well, I'll just have to trust the dealer to find the problem.
thanks
jack

Old 05-26-2000, 07:42 AM
Keep us posted. I am curious as to what they find. I would say I still have some vibration. It's hard to pinpoint when the cylinders start kicking out on a high rev upshift and when the exhaust is burbling on the coast down. Lot of racket going on and it all gets in the cab.

Oh well, like I said, keep us posted. I am going to try and take another L out for a spin when I'm back at the dealership.

Old 05-26-2000, 08:30 AM
SelOne,

I was the other one with the same problem. What it took to fix mine was a new drive shaft, complete tail house shaft along with seal/bearings etc. The bearing had backed out of the tail shaft.

I also had the famous "clunk" which was fixed also.

I had a tad over a 1000 miles on mine when I ralized the vibration was not suppose to be there and the clunk started.

Anyway, what seemed like forever I got my 'L back and everything works as it should now.

Go with the present fix.... remember if it is not fixed take it back. The down side to this is you can't drive your Lightning

------------------
John Armstrong
2000 Red Lightning

[This message has been edited by jarmstro (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-26-2000, 08:42 AM
Guys...I gather that all of you have 2000 trucks? I have a slight thrum/vibration at about 170 KMS/hr., but I don't think it is as bad as what you gent.s were describing still, I may check into it. I just had my tires re-balanced to eliminate that posibility.... Like I said, it is not a bad vibration.

Paul G.

Old 05-26-2000, 10:16 AM
PBGas,

Don't you know it's illegal to drive 170km/h in Canada? (Actually this is what SVT first tried to tell my dealer about vibration at that speed!!!)

My vibration was evident when the tranny was in neutral or in park. Could feel it at about 1800 rpm and then from 3000 rpm on up.

The real question is whether you can drive out of it. If you can then it is a harmonic of some sort. Just go to 180 then 190 then 200 km/h etc. etc.

Old 05-26-2000, 11:44 AM
Geez, I never even had my truck go 100 mph. And all my vibration stops the second I give it any gas or switch into neutral. But I have no vibration when the truck is parked or anything. Only when coasting.
jarmstro seems to be the one with the problem I'm having, with the seal on the rear of the tranny and realizing the vibration isnt supposed to be there (because it is so small) until about 1000 miles. Did you have any problems with you tranny because of this? That is my only real worry, that my tranny got screwed because of the driveshaft an yolk getting all wierd in there.

------------------
2000 Lightning
Stock

Old 05-27-2000, 12:38 AM
Oh......I see, What04. So it was entirely something different then! That sounds like it was a real anoyance in your case. Good thing you were able to get everything done. I am not too worried about mine because it is when I am in the upper speed range when it happens and it is very subtle....

Paul G.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems