Lightning

chip/computer/wiring harness problem found.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry chip/computer/wiring harness problem found.

Well I talked to the service tech today. Bad Bad Bad.... They told me that the wiring harness was burnt and needed to be replaced, also told me the computer was bad, and will need to be replaced. all in all this is costing me 620.00. And is no longer under warranty. They knew there was a chip installed. They pointed that out as being the problem. ? ? I don't know what to do. This got very expensive very fast. Mind you I am only 18 and this is the only vehicle I own. This will take 2-3 days to fix. Which is not bad, because one of those days is today. I guess I'm just rambling. But what do you guys think?

Old 05-26-2000, 04:40 PM
One could argue that moving the harness around to unbolt the computer to facilitate
the chip installation you some how cut a wire in the harness and it shorted out, thereby frying the computer. OR there was a cut wire there just waiting for someone to jiggle it and un lucky you nailed it. I think the latter happened and if they can't show you how it happened I would fight it according to the law. Maybe the chip manuf. can advise a little. Don't give too easy.

Old 05-26-2000, 05:13 PM
Well that sucks and makes me think twice about ordering a chip. I can't believe the Lightnings are that sensitive to chips. I don't buy it! Has a PSP chip ever caused a problem like this or a need to reflash the computer?

Have you admitted to trying to install a chip? I think that is bogus that it needs a new wiring harness. I can believe a computer getting fried but not the wiring harness.

Good luck! Are you going to try and reinstall the chip?

[This message has been edited by Pacecar18 (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-26-2000, 05:38 PM
Ask them to explain how the wiring got burnt. All cars and trucks have fuses to prevent this. Yes you could be responsible for the computer getting fried, but burnt wires are almost always the result of external heat melting the insulation. This can result in a short. I guess that diagnosis bothers me, the PCM operates on a fused power supply. Any short should blow a fuse, not melt wires. I think they got it backwards. Floyd, e-mail me at r454g@eriecoast.com maybe I can help.

Russ

------------------
99 Lightning black #2022, cd,tow package,bed rug,roll-n-lock
(13.73 @ 99.74 stock)
98 Cobra coupe laser red
best stock et 13.43 @ 103
one run w/ 3.55 gears 13.34 @ 102 no other mods
former Chevy fan still have a few
72 SS454 11.6 @ 116 (slicks open headers)
68 Camaro 12.2 @ 116 (street tires closed exhast)

Old 05-26-2000, 05:39 PM
Get it back, throw chip away. Be happy with the way it runs from the factory. You can still beat 99% of what's out there.
noelvm
PS Perhaps you chip manufacturer, who claims his product won't harm anything, will pay the bill and then enter into litigation with your dealership to prove what was or wasn't at fault. Yea, right and the tooth fairy is coming tonite.

your best bet is to demand all the removed parts, explain to them that they have to prove something you did caused the problem if they want you to pay. Suggest that the bad wiring harness probably just shorted out snd you intend to have it examined by a professional for testamony. As you are only 18 it is hard to buffalo these guys. I'm 56 and have had lots of experience in negotiation. If you can try to get someone older that is sympatetic to your case to discuss this with them. If you pay upfront demand all the pieces they remove. Do not take no for an answer. If they try to keep anything accuse them of trying to destroy evidence. Start out polite, soft but firm. These things are all subject to negotiation. If you can't get anywhere with service go to the General Manager. Don't just give up and pay, that's what they expect.

------------------
99.5 Red Ligntning, Syn Oil, Eldebrock 5512 muffler, BFG drag radials, Bugflector, G&H Lens covers,
70 Vette LS-6

[This message has been edited by noelvm (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-26-2000, 05:55 PM
Didnt you mention that there was a15 amp fuse blown? Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install? If you did they are full of it! As was stated before the only way I can see a wire melt is a direct short and maintaining that short. You need to have them show you the melted harness! If it is not in the box itself or at the terminal strip they lying to you. A wire will melt at its point of contact.. if it happened because you installed a chip then the whole wire itself would be burnt as well as surrounding wires as well! Electrical fires dont take any prisoners! Be careful some of these places have no idea what they are talking about!
seb

Old 05-26-2000, 06:33 PM
Well, I went over to the dealership, and after waiting for about 15 minutes I had to follow the guy around while he was on the phone to someone else for another 10. About now Im getting impatient. Then while I was standing around outside this guys service office a tech asks me if I bought the cobra that I was looking at. I told him no I own the white... and before I could finish he cuts me off and says that he worked on my truck, I follow him back to his work station and he shows me the wiring harness that he cut off, he said nothing about burnt wiring, and I insisted that thats what I was told. I told him I had planned on installing the chip, because he knew the contacts were scraped clean. The chip itself apparently fried the pcm in one way or another. And the bolt holding the wiring harness head was sheared off, by one of the techs on accident. Which they are replacing at no cost. I don't know about this whole chip thing, I want one, I want to go faster, but at what cost? this time its 620.00, what about the next time? Thank you guys for the prompt and accurate responses. This is absolutely the best board and best group of guys and gals around

Old 05-26-2000, 06:37 PM
btw Yes there was a 15 amp fuse blown, I believe it was to the fuel pump, if I looked at the chart right, It definently turned on something under the hood. Yes I followed the directions on the install perfectly. The battery was the first thing I unhooked.

Old 05-26-2000, 06:51 PM
"he shows me the wiring harness that he cut off, " I wasnt aware that the field wiring was hardwired into the computer? No plug on the end , no terminals??? If there is a plug or someway to disconnect the harness why the heck did he cut it? Im to lazy to run down and start rippin mine apart to prove those guys wrong! Sorry..best of luck? I would ask how a chip could fry a computer?

Old 05-26-2000, 10:31 PM
Banned
When I was younger I also had a problem simular to yours.

I went to a lawyer and explained the situation and he wrote a letter for $75. I took this leter to the dealer and had my you know what sucked.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:00 AM
PFA
Question

SOOO, if I understand this correctly, they cut the harness because the bolt was sheared off and that was the only way to get the computer out? (Their fault?) And your being charged $620 for replacing the computer and labor for the R/R the computer?

I would make sure you get all parts that you pay for that are being replaced and a clear bill of sale for the work and labor.

Just my .02

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
#0873--1 of 866--
RHINO, Soft cover, LoJack, Valentine 1, Mobil 1
Phantom Boost gauge-#5707
Phantom Water temp. gauge-#5737--not in yet
Dual pod for pillar-#15303--not in yet
Plasma Super White headlight and foglight bulbs

2000 Mercury Villager Sport

Old 05-27-2000, 12:12 AM
Now I remember why I get ill whenever I get ready to go to a dealership.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:56 AM
Exclamation

Floyd91:
Please email me!!!
I think I might be able to help, or know someone who can.
Kevin
ksanp@aol.com

Old 05-27-2000, 03:26 AM
Yeah they cut the harness to get the head off. They think the bolt was my fault, but I know I did not break it, I don't see how it is possible to put enough force on a bolt that size, in the space confinements we have. I believe the labor came down to the pcm, harness head, and labor. I was quoted 620.00 by my salesman, which I will stick him with that. (all of our phone calls are recorded) The lawyer thing is a good idea. But what can I do, they know there was a chip, not on the computer though, it was completely cleared, my odomoter even lost the milage. They know I cleaned the terminals. But have no proof the chip was installed right? I will be going back down there tomorrow, just as I did today to bug them and bitch some more. Every vehicle we own right now as a family, is from the dealer ring (kendall) Every vehicle we have bought in the last 20 years is from kendall, 99% of our business vehicles are from kendall. You would think they'd help me out. They did, put it as #1 priority, and started as soon as it came in. Bumping off who knows how many others, which kinda makes me feel good.

Old 05-27-2000, 07:41 AM
Exclamation

Floyd91: Wait a minute - in an earlier post you said the service guys sheared the bolt off by accident. Now it's your fault?? First they claim burnt harness, then when you talk to the guy doing the work, the story changes. Unless we're missing some piece of the story, it seems to me that this dealership is taking advantage of the situation. It's your money, but I would be raising holy h@#% with those people. They're hoping you'll blame yourself for all this so that you'll just pay the bill to get on with your life. Don't let 'em get away with it.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning
Airaid FIPK
Impulse LoPro (on order)
BedRug (on order)
Invinca-Shield (on order)

Quick Reply: chip/computer/wiring harness problem found.