Lightning

$1500 for mods..help me out please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:13 PM
|
$1500 for mods..help me out please

hey bros i got 2 questions..1 is should i spend the extra money and get a 2004 lightning or since im gona do some mods should i save my money and get a 2001-2002 model? thats one next question is i have $1500 for mods rite now..im gona order from jl's site i know the big 3 is pulley,chip and tune

1999+ JLP +5lb Lightning Crank Pulley $225
i was thinking the diablo chip he has for $250 so im at $475 so far and i got $1025 left..what else you think i should pick up that will make a big difference?

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:21 PM
Hotchkis TVS or Traction Bars, FTVB, Port

If I were you I would look to buy as many parts possible used on the nloc parts section. You will save a bunch of $ especially on things like pulleys.

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:39 PM
|
hey thanx for the heads up.never been there before i can maybe get about $2500 worth of stuff for only $1500 from there..thanx again..

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:46 PM
No problem, good luck with your searching for parts and I'll be the first to say search these forums before Tim hunts you down. You will for sure find all the information you need to make your decision of how to spend you money.

There are a lot of variables in money spending depending on what you want out of your truck. Be a little more specific on what you want from your truck and we'll be able to provide some more help.

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:31 PM
I do not know if the lightnings come with some performance headers, but that would be a great mod for that truck!

Also, check out some ignition upgrades since you will have that tuner.

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by cwbpro69
I do not know if the lightnings come with some performance headers, but that would be a great mod for that truck!

Also, check out some ignition upgrades since you will have that tuner.

I think he is looking for educated information. Yes headers are made for lightnings, dont believe they help performance much unless you are pushing some major hp they basically just make noise and lose tq.

There aren't many ignition upgrades unless you are speaking of new coilpacks which really don't do all that much.

I'm assuming you dont have a lightning nor do you scan the lightning boards often?

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:21 PM
Do not scan the boards much, and I do not have a lightning.

They make some pretty big ignition upgrades for Ford trucks, so I assume they would work on an lightning as well. I was just throwing out some suggestions.

...Maybe some Nitrous? What about brake upgrades? Electric fans and a waterpump? 90 mm MAF Meter?

Old 05-23-2006 | 09:36 AM
You can find pulley's used in the classified for 1/2 price.

Get a chip/tuner and a dyno tune.

THen add a Factory Tech Valve body (shift kit)
Some type of Cold Air intake
If you really want to wake the truck up, have the stock eaton ported BEFORE you have it tuned.

Then you'll need some type of traction bar to prevent rear wheel hop.

Old 05-23-2006 | 09:37 AM
First..

Search the classified sections here, NLOC, SVTPERFORMANCE, EBAY. There are always some great deals.

With my wedding coming up, there was some stuff I needed, but was on budget so i picked some stuff up used and saved a bunch, which helped big time. A couple hundred buck goes a long ways when your poor!!!

Chip, Filter, DYNO TUNE. Get the truck dynoed with your mods and get it dialed in. Don't rely on the mail order tune without dynoing it. Best money you'll spend.

4lb pulley, unless you add headers and high flow cats. That is out of your budget though.

Factory tech valve body.

Racho style traction bars from JDM or JLP, or any other vendor that sells them.

Single blade throttle body and change the plugs.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2006 | 10:37 AM
OH... you can add an Eletrical fan, it will free up power and make throttle response a little better.

There is a how to on here to make one for about $150'ish. I made mine for just over $100.00 (got great deal on Fan)
I used a Hayden wiring kit. I added that write up a few pages into that post.

Here, had a free moment and got it for you..
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...o+electric+fan

Quick Reply: $1500 for mods..help me out please