Lightning

Just installed new *SWANSON* CHIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2000 | 03:19 PM
|
Post Just installed new *SWANSON* CHIP

Ok I know you are all begging for times and my perception of Swansons chip.I have been here a while and I have had alot of knowledgable infoemation for all of you.I know chips 1ST HAND!!!! Ive been through enough SUPERCHIPS and the track,I can definatly tell the difference between 99s and 2000s and all of the superchips Ive had! .I am going to the track tonight for times,Ill post around 1030 Eastern time ! I can already tell you what im going to get just with this chip.First let me tell you how it is.
Just to let you know,I told swanson exactly what i wanted as far as shift points/firmness/rev limiter.Let me tell you,He did EXACTLY what I had him do.Ive delt with mike troyer for a while now and he has always talked me out of certain things .My opinion is they would be a pain in the a$$ for him to reprogram a brand new chip and he didnt want to,He just wanted to give me stock........So I see it.He is a nice guy though.
I told swanson I wanted neck snapping shifts.......I got them (boy did I)!!!He gave me more line pressure than (his) normal shifts.It could be too much for some but not me.

I told him to put the rev limter at 6500.........He did(I know its not less than 6000)

I told him to give me a little more timing for performance .I only run 94 octane.HE DID !!!!!Just so you know,Its even on the reciept that the timing is different than a normal chip and the shifts.This guy really does what you ask!

So here goes into detail..........
Soon as I cracked the throttle in park,I knew I was in for a surprise.The boost was on faster snappier,and it even sounded different than any other chip Ive had.

I know I said this last superchip was great at shifting.It was.The truth is,Swansons shifts are firmer,quicker,and its hard to explain but it is incredible.I never dreamed my truck could shift this good!!!!!Im going to try and explain this for you.The ones with superchps will understand.The shift delays are out on the superchips.Not only are the shift delays completly gone on the swanson chip but the shifting pattern actually still lurches the truck a truck length foward (during) shifts!!!! There is absolutly Zero delay anywhere in the shifting.I know some of you with superchips think yours is the same,Trust me it is not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

The power is just like my 99.If anything my 2000 is just a TINY TINY bit slower.Probally due to the air intake.I mean a tiny bit.

I puched it on the highway from a stop.I burned right through 1st ,Didnt even feel the transition to second and burned 30 more feet.

I estimate my truck to do 13.4s @ 103-104mph all night long or better with just a this chip.I will post actual #s later for all of you.I could be wrong but I feel good about this estimate.

In ending,This chip is In EVERY way so much better than the 2000 superchip,It is not even funny.Superchips is a big company,There is no excuse why they cant build a chip that performs like this one.!!For the rest of you thinking about superchips,DONT!! I hope you try this chip,You will not be disapointed.

The only downfall to this chip is I have a burning smell coming from the belt on the supercharger once in a while .Im gonna keep a close eye on it.I think the truck is spinning so much faster than stock,The belt is not made for this EXTREME CHIP!!!!

RAY

[This message has been edited by Lightningquick (edited 06-02-2000).]

Old 06-02-2000 | 03:44 PM
Sounds like a marvelous chip for the track, but I would have an extended maintenance contract in place - I think you might be needing it.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
Skydive69@msn.com
Apopka, Florida
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Airaid air box & Superchip

Old 06-02-2000 | 04:17 PM
Banned
Hey Lightningquick, what is the contact numbers and such. Superchip has had many a problem getting rid of my Top end limiter. Maybe this Swanson chip might be able to do it. Email me at mumbly_f150@yahoo.com if you can. Thanks

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Part of the F150 Online Texas Chapter
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flareside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work rhigh@nortelnetworks.com
Anytime mumbly_f150@yahoo.com
Home mumbly@gte.net
<A HREF="http://www.roushperf.com/" TARGET=_blank> </A>

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 06-02-2000).]

Old 06-02-2000 | 04:29 PM
LQ - I have the superchip CUXR2 program in my 2000L since Tuesday night of this week, thanks to your high recommendation (before you went to the track). I have 2000 miles on my truck. I have an Airaid box, and last night added a Big Mouth "powerstack" type filter in it. Here is what I have noticed. 1-the shifts were better right off, and the truck rev'ed quicker. I have not done a burnout, since I am not a big fan of spending a grand on tires every 6 months. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles, and I predict I will have 25-30K after 12 months. I like the shifts with the Superchip, although I know they could be firmer. I actually prefer them the way they are for use as a daily driver, although I wouldn't mind having the position 1 on my superchip modified to "racetrack" spec's for that purpose only. I can tell you that I picked up a noticable improvement in power by adding the new filter, which could also be partially due to the truck breaking in. I sincerely hope you don't have the problems you had with your 99 with an "on the edge" program. I am sure you will keep us all informed as to how she progresses. I think that if you can wait for the PSP filter to come out great, if not, for almost 2X the price, the way I went is a real nice set-up.
The cone filter that we group purchased from FordSales/ Autophysics, is many in Califonia in the next town over from where K&N's are made, and from what I can see, they look like the same exact element, only with the open ended reverse cone.

Old 06-02-2000 | 04:52 PM
Ray,

I too have one of Danny Swanson's chips and am very pleased. I had to send it back last Saturday cause I bought a Pro-M 80MM MAF from him and he "called me" last Thursday when he got my money and said I would need to send my chip back because the Pro-M leans the motor out some and he would have to make an adjustment because he already leans it out.

Notice I said he called me....... anyway I got my chip back and Pro-M yesterday. That was less than a week of having to drive my wimpy truck. His chip really spoils you.

Good luck and let me know how you did at the track.

------------------
John Armstrong
2000 Red Lightning

Old 06-02-2000 | 04:58 PM
Mumbly,

Here is Danny's Website and you will see his phone number there too.http://www.swansonperformance.com
Swanson Performance (310) 214-9561

------------------
John Armstrong
2000 Red Lightning

[This message has been edited by jarmstro (edited 06-02-2000).]

Old 06-02-2000 | 06:36 PM
|
Im back from the track.It Started raining 15 minutes before 6.Not only that buI do not drive my truck in the rain.I got stuck 1/2 hour away!

Old 06-02-2000 | 11:39 PM
Thanks Lightning quick, I printed out your post and included it in my SuperChip return.

They are going to re-burn it with Race ONLY and Performance modes. I hope they do an extra special good job, since you rag them all the time. I hope they will be plenty motivated. I wish I had the $ to purchase PSP,Swanson and do a run, change chip - check results.
It may be that different BOLTs run better with different chips.. But like you said its all in good fun, you are very entertaining and becomeing the evil villain in SuperChip land. Hope you do run good and don't miss the black-eared BOLT too much. After the give and take, one-upmanship on the net, it must be fun to actually race each other.
Hope to see you guys one of these days at an event. Even the grad student. I even miss MAD : ^ (

Old 06-04-2000 | 06:28 PM

Old 06-04-2000 | 06:52 PM
Wink

Went to the track on Friday night in Temple but the weather was very poor. Me and my father have the same mods on our trucks exept I have 4:10's. Fastest pass for me was 13:53 @102 and the fastest pass for my father was 13:57 @ 101. I picked up from a 13:93 @ 99 to 13:53 @ 102 from SWANSONS chip. I believe I will call him on Monday and see if there is anything that he can do extra to my program such as the timing deal. We are very pleased with his Chips. Mine shifts harder than my fathers, but hey I like it. Half throttle and it will break them loose going into second. I have had great service from this Guy and will keep doing so as well for I believe he really cares about his product. Mods are Flows,80mm,underdrive pulley,Chip and for me the gears which I am very disapointed in

------------------
ALL BOTTLE No THROTTLE

Old 06-04-2000 | 07:19 PM
Question

Hey Crush, Sal here. I'm a little curious. Could you clarify a few things?
1) Did you go 13.93 bone stock with no mods?
2) Did you run 13.53 with any kind of sticky tire, and if not, did you have any traction problems?
3) Did you install all your listed mods at the same time as the chip? If not, how much did the chip lower your ETs from the previous mods to the 13.53?
4) Did he calibrate the chip for the gears, and have you verifed that it actually worked?
The reason I am asking these questions, is because your truck is not turning the times I would expect it to with your given mods. I have customers running better ETs on the stock F-1s with just our chip and filter kit, and nothing else. Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not trying to say your truck is slow, I'm just trying to understand why it's not as fast as it should be with you given mods.

------------------
SAL
Best ET 13.09 Best MPH 104.58mph Best 60ft 1.87
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, M/T ET Streets PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 06-04-2000 | 07:32 PM
|
I have had my chip for a few days now .I like it but there is one problem.I believe it is cause of the real "hot" timing he gave me.My truck surges or like bucks a little when i am just cruising from 30-50mph.Soon as i get on the throttle,It goes away.It is either timimg or the torque lock up.Its hard to tell.This really is a race only chip and I wish now it was a flip chip.The shifting is incredible and the power is right on!.With every funky program,You are going to have bugs to work out.I will post times with just the chip on wednesday(weather permitting).

I am also going to post times with the downs air intake/chip combo.I will run 3 runs Just chip.Then 3 more with downs intake.

I am starting from13.9@98mph
With just the chip,I will be happy with a 13.4@103

With the combo,i will be happy with 13.3@103.
A 13.2 would really ease my mind but probally wont happen with this truck before gears.

I dont ever see getting a 13.20 @105 with this truck until i get some gears.I need to get a 12.9@105 with just the three combo,I will then be happy and leave my truck alone.

Some of you probally think Im asking for too much.The truth is,I like to get every spec of power from each mod before just shelling out more money for a new one.in the end it equals to the cheapest most powerful truck

Oh yea,I will be buying Sals chip and filter combo SOON as he is ready to produce them.If his stuff works better,I have customers lined up to buy my stuff.I went with downs because I had good luck with it on my 99(now Im thinking it was just a freak truck) anyways,It will be better than an air box!I went with swansons to see the immidiate difference between the superchips.I took my superchip out at 8pm at night and had a Swanson 2pm the next day!.I had it overnighted for testing at the track.Too bad it rained. The ultimate set up in my eyes is SALS chip/filter combo.I hope he can tune 2000s as goood as the 99 chips!.Im sure he can.Now,Ive seen an incredible difference between my 2000 superchip ans swansons.There is NO reason why a big company cant make a good chip for 2000s.The trucks have been out for months now!They already had a year on 99s to get basics,Sal said himself ,the 2000s arnt that much different.It is enough however to feel the diffeerence.

[This message has been edited by Lightningquick (edited 06-04-2000).]

Old 06-04-2000 | 10:56 PM
Surging at cruising speeds is a result of too much timing. Good luck, I'm anxious to see your results.

------------------
99 Lightning black #2022, cd,tow package,bed rug,roll-n-lock
(13.73 @ 99.74 stock)
98 Cobra coupe laser red
best stock et 13.43 @ 103
one run w/ 3.55 gears 13.34 @ 102 no other mods
former Chevy fan still have a few
72 SS454 11.6 @ 116 (slicks open headers)
68 Camaro 12.2 @ 116 (street tires closed exhast)

Old 06-04-2000 | 11:18 PM
Doesn't Swanson use the same chip burning software as Sal? Autologic?

Old 06-05-2000 | 12:51 AM
Sal,
The 13.93 was with the pulley,mass air,flows and gear on stock F1's. The Chip was the different mod on the truck when it went 13:53 also on F1's. I know it does not seem fast compared to other times but I believe that the weather and location have a lot to do with it. It was @ Little River in Temple Tx. on Friday night. I do not know the conditions but I do know that the Humidity was way up there. My Short times were 2.0 as well as my dad's. He even made 3 passes on the slicks and it was no faster. The gears did absolutlety nothing for me. I would like to see my truck run alot better but what is there to do besides wish. Maybe it is just the track. I was supposed to be in Seguin at Rivercity but I had an unforeseen pulley problem so I was cutting it close so thats why I went to a less of a track. I am very pleased with Swansons chip for he has done everything that I have asked and I have called you and e-mailed you but have had no response and it has been more than a month. I am not criticizing you for this for I know you are a busy man and I believe you make a great product and I would like to try your stuff as well, I guess when you have the time. Also, the calibration for the 4:10's are as close as I could get. I am over the mph by 2 @ 60mph so I guess it is close enough. If you would like to help I would appreciate it and I would like to thank you for your concern and time to reply

------------------
ALL BOTTLE No THROTTLE

Quick Reply: Just installed new *SWANSON* CHIP