Lightning

RACE ONLY MODE Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000 | 04:40 PM
|
Post RACE ONLY MODE Superchip

Waiting for my re-burned SuperChip to
arrive. If it doesn't work I'll be honest, BUT I'm putting a call out to other SuperChip owners with the new Race ONLY mode. Please let us know how you are doing. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2000 | 05:07 PM
PFA
DO NOT USE RACING FUEL!!!

Old 06-05-2000 | 05:25 PM
What are the fuel requirements of the race mode? What are the characteristics of the race mode?

Old 06-05-2000 | 05:28 PM
PFA
According to Mike Troyer, the chip is designed to run only 92 octane. With the RACE ONLY mode, the torque converter doesn't lock up. It is set for strictly for acceleration.

Old 06-05-2000 | 05:47 PM
|
92 ? Isn't that 104 for Race ONLY

92-93 for Performance Mode.

Old 06-05-2000 | 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor
TO All:

I do not know how this rumor got started, but some people have been saying that the new RACE-ONLY program in Position 2 for the 1999 Lightning Superchip requires 104 octane, and that is absolutely WRONG!

This program requires the use of pump premium, 92-94 octane. Using substantially higher octane will in most cases cause the motor to "lay down", from the slower burn rate of that higher octane racing gas, especially the 100 + octane stuff.

So please, do not use racing gas with any Superchip that has not been *specifically* programmed for the use of that fuel, as you generally may not be happy with the results.

Another point I wanted to make is that the shift firmness in Position 2 of the CUX1TRAC program is going to be noticebly softer than in Position 1, due to the torque converter being maintained at maximum stall to increase acceleration in Position 1. Just like when you install a loose, high-stall speed TQ, the same thing happens.

If anyone has any questions about this, please feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over this with you.

Oh, and one last thought....this RACE ONLY program is NOT for 2000 Lightnings, we are currently working on a RACE ONLY program for the 2K Bolts as well. We've had 7-8 2000 Lightnings on the dyno already, and this work will get done just as quickly as possible for those who have to have every bit of performance at the track.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 06-05-2000).]

Old 06-05-2000 | 06:21 PM
Disregard the following questions.... I called Mike - He called me right back and answered all my questions. I have a superchip on its way - Be here Thursday

<Start IGNOR>
Dont all after market chips require premium ?

Doesnt the Stock Lightning require premium ( Minimum 91 Octane per Manual )

In Dallas most places sell 87 Reg, 89 Mid or 93 = Prem. So Either way I would have to buy the Premium

<Stop Ignor>

Doug

[This message has been edited by Silver_2000_ ! (edited 06-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Silver_2000_! (edited 06-06-2000).]

Old 06-05-2000 | 06:59 PM
|
I must of had a dream or something,
I could have sworn someone told me 104 for Race ONLY, and I was thinking how much is that going to cost me. I obviously stand corrected.

No gas difference between the modes.

Old 06-05-2000 | 07:06 PM
|
Another point I wanted to make is that the shift firmness in Position 2 of the CUX1TRAC program is going to be noticebly softer than in Position 1, due to the torque converter being maintained at maximum stall to increase acceleration in Position 1. Just like when you install a loose, high-stall speed TQ, the same thing happens.

Thsi is confusing me, someone pls explain stall, Thanks

Old 06-05-2000 | 08:26 PM
Exclamation

i'm getting confused too! i'm the one who tested the *race* program at wfc and made the changes with the chip with bill cohron. unless there's another *race* program the one i used @ wfc requires 104 octane NO MORE! and the shifts feel like its going to snap my neck! hmmmmm! (i'm confused)

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning 13.09 @ 104.77 #3109(black)!
superchip and k/n filter

Old 06-05-2000 | 09:43 PM
Wink

Sounds like nothing has changed at superchip, from when I had one. The right hand not knowing what the left is doing

Old 06-05-2000 | 11:02 PM
Mike:

I also had Bill Cohron reprogram my chip at WFC, same programs as Johnny Lightning. My understanding of what we ended up with was a 93 octane "street" program in position 1, and a 104 octane "strip" program in position 2. This may or may not be what Superchips is currently marketing, but I believe that is what we got. I wish I had remembered to disconnect the battery between programs at WFC. Thanks for the reminder. Try to make the WFC in St. Louis next year, I'd still like to meet you.

Lightning Bob

Johnny Lightning, are you in the 12's yet?

Old 06-05-2000 | 11:43 PM
I think someone needs to get their info. right, everyone WAS running 104 at the W.F.C.. Trust me,I was there you know..

JohnnyL, L Bob, what's up gentlemen, been away for a while.

------------------
TEAM P.S.P.
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
------------------
Bassani catpipes
Bassani catback
Downs Air Intake
Mickey Thompson E.T. Drag`s
------------------
Cervini`s 3-inch Cowl Hood
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33
Best 60` 1.87
Best m.p.h. 106.66

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

LAUNCH HARD

[This message has been edited by Spiro99SVT (edited 06-05-2000).]

Old 06-06-2000 | 09:32 AM
Spiro

What's happening? I can't seem to keep up with this board anymore either. Too many newbies with 2000 L's. Well maybe we'll have a much bigger crowd at next years WFC. Looking foward to it already. Gotta go.

Lightning Bob

Old 06-06-2000 | 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
To All:

OK, we understand the apparent confusion over the octane requirement of the program that was run at St. Louis by "Johnny Lighting" and several others.

This was apparently due to a miscommunication between Bill, who was at St. Louis on behalf of Superchips, and Jay, the engineer we normally work with on these Lightning programs, which is where I got my info from on this latest custom program release for the drag racers. Jay and I have worked closely together to release a number of different programs for these vehicles, based on the feedback that we get from our customers, about exactly what they want, etc. Some people want lowered shift points, some higher, etc., so Jay and I have been working to have some options in this regard, and this has gone very well so far. So I have complete confidence in Jay and his capabilities and desire, to say the least. What we have here is a simple miscommunication, and of course they want this straightened out every bit as much as everyone else does.

I called and spoke to Jay this morning, just to let him know that there was some confusion on this, and had him talk with Bill, so they could compare notes, and get this ironed out. I let them know that people are questioning this online here, and Jay himself dropped by to see these posts as well.

OK.....

The program that Johnny Lightning and a couple others ran at St. Louis *did* have a bit more timing in it for higher octane. It didn't have enough timing so that it absolutely had to have no less than 104 octane, there isn't *that* much of a difference. Bill *did* tell those using it to use it with whatever racing gas was available there, just to make sure there were no problems with detonation right away, and this is what I'm sure led people to think that 104 octane was *required*. Jay told me that this was the SAME program that he had released to us here at Performance, for use with our racers. This was incorrect, and that is the apparent source of this confusion. The only difference is literally a few degrees of timing, and both Jay and Bill feel that this latest program will prove to be faster, as it has so far in their testing.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion on this, as we can only relay the info we're givne by the program engineers. This is usually very accurate of course, but in this case, it was Bill's program that he had been playing with along the lines of more octane, more timing, etc., and this became a bit confused between Bill and Jay, resulting in what I posted here for all of you.

Now here is the kicker.....both Jay and Bill feel that the program we are currently sending out will run quicker on these vehicles at the drag strip. The Lightnings, as we all know pretty well by now, can invoke various protection modes under various circumstances, and one of the tricks in getting them to run as quickly as possible is of course not to invoke any of those protective modes, for lack of a better term.

The custom program that we just released for RACE ONLY use, CUX1TRAC, for the 1999 Lightnings, does *not* require anything more than pump premium gasoline, and using higher octane will only slow the truck down.

If anyone has any questions about this, please do feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over this with you.

Jay down at Superchips asked me to pass along his apologies for this confusion as well. He understands quite well that all these posts get read by many, many people, and he was just as concerned as any of us with regards to making sure accurate info is released.

And that's the scoop......

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 06-06-2000).]

Quick Reply: RACE ONLY MODE Superchip