Lightning

What would you buy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raoul, the S2000 is a neat looking car. But is a small two seater. Also, in the Wash. DC area all the dealers are asking and apparently getting $37K for a car that lists at about $32K. Apparently, too you need a lot of revs to generated any horsepower or torque. However, two horseposer per cubic inch ain't bad without a blower.

Except for its uniqueness and good looks, I do not consider the S2000 a great value. I think the Lighning is a much better value with a ton more torque readily available.

And, over all for value, it is hard to beat the Ram Air Firebirds and Camaros.

Do you agree?

Old 06-09-2000, 10:53 AM
SVT-SNAKE,
Got a '99 Firebird Formula w/ 6 speed and Hurst for my wife. She really likes it, and has been very happy with it. It is seriously quick, but coming from the L. feels very cramped to me. Her car may be quicker than my L., but she won't drive it hard enough to beat me. Passed on the WS6 because she wouldn't make use of it, and passed on the Ram Air because I figured I could find 15 HP for less than $3K, if she ever decided it was too slow.

[This message has been edited by Moonshine (edited 06-09-2000).]

Old 06-09-2000, 11:18 AM
Location: Garden Grove,Ca. USA three block from Disney Land the Second best Ride
Wink

If you need a back seat get the Trans Am (my first choice after the L). But if you don't need it get the Corvette the resale is always better on the Vette. But if you lease it doesn't matter.

------------------
1999 Red SVT Lightning
#3466 of 4000
NLOC #428
99 Grand Prix GTP Red

Old 06-09-2000, 01:08 PM
Cool

My wife is driving our 99 Cobra Convert and just loves it.. Actually we call it her car, but she lets me drive it.. Which I don't ever do now that I have my L... I haven't lost to any GM products yet?? We haven't raced yet, but I think I can take her.. Its all good!!

------------------
Rob Riley
Toy Collector
00 Blk L
99 Blk Cobra convert
53 Blk F100 (BB)
94 Blk HD Fatboy
00 YZ125
00 DRZE 400
misc+

Old 06-09-2000, 01:24 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
redlite, I agree the Lightning is a better value but, SVT-Snake already has one of those.
I think domestic muscle cars are run of the mill. Are we really getting the Mrs. something she wants or are we talking her into something we want? I think it only fair to show her the Roadster and see what she thinks. Most wives get a minivan but, "I got my toys now she wants hers".

The only downside I see with a two-seater is the babyseat goes in the Lightning.

Old 06-09-2000, 02:35 PM
Talking

Thanks to all who replied,
In all honesty if fundage was out of the question I would buy her her own L. She really likes driving mine and racing people. Since funds are scarce for the moment we will stick with the Honda we have and the L. I have a feeling though you will probably see a SVT-Snakette on here in the near future!!! Thanks again!

Raoul,
No kids are expected for quite some time!!! I haven't spoiled myself enough to spoil them!
------------------
Y2K Lightning Black
No mods yet but a bunch on the way!

[This message has been edited by SVT-Snake (edited 06-09-2000).]

Old 06-09-2000, 03:51 PM
Cool

I traded in a '99 Camaro SS for my L, so what does that tell ya? I may not be able to throw the truck around as easily, but overall I am MUCH happier with it.

The SS got hammered in the rear at a stoplight and got its frame rails crushed, etc. That night I decided to buy something with a little more structural integrity and the L was the only logical choice. No one likes to get hit, but in this case it was a GOOD thing!

Old 06-09-2000, 08:00 PM
Talking

You gotta amit thou, that the 70's ear muscle car with a Muncie 4-speed was a killer. there was a transmission that could take 6-700 hp and power shift all day and not come apart. They don't seem to have any good manual transmissions anymore unless you go to aftermarket, like richmond gear.
Noelvm

Old 06-09-2000, 09:56 PM
Old 06-10-2000, 12:56 AM
Hmmmm......it's a decision I wouldn't want to make. Perhaps go to another brand of car. I personally have had 2 Camaro's in the past....a 95 and a 98. They were both fairly quick. However, both interiors are absolutely awful. The dash is way too long, the seats are unsupportive and I don't like all of the cheap plastic. Another thing that irks many passengers is the bump in the floorboard on that side. I mean that is still there from the mid 80's. Couldn't they have reworked the floorpan a bit. However, the F-body is an aquired taste. It is a fast car, no doubt at all about that. It is designed for that purpose, and essentially it is a scaled down Vette with a back seat. I didn't hate mine, but I didn't like it either.

Glad I have my L.

Paul G.

Quick Reply: What would you buy???