Lightning

"CHIP WAR"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2000, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb "CHIP WAR"

Can somebody get all three chips, Hell maybe all four(Sal, Swanson, Superchip and Sean Hyland)...Kinda funny they all start with "S". And lets do some Dynoes on them and settle the dispute once and for all. I am willing to buy if this is possible just to stop this S&*(. I am very proud of the chip I have and like many others are proud with the other chips. I believe that everyone wants to know the TRUE horespower that these chips make on the same vehicle in the same conditions. Who all wants to see this? I know I do and I will purchase all of the chips and sell the ones that do not perform as well at a discount.

------------------
ALL BOTTLE No THROTTLE

Old 06-10-2000, 01:08 AM
Hey I'm game for something like this.
I think we need more than dyno pulls though.
And we also need to look at more than peak horsepower. Maybe the Integral of the power curves and torque curves?
Some track data.
Drivability Rating, hot and cold.
99's and 00's both.

Old 06-10-2000, 01:22 AM
This would stop all the cuttroating but could get quite expensive for all the dyno pulls. It would be great if we could get the Tuners to donate one each: (PSP,Superchip,Swanson Performance and Sean Hyland), this would be the ultimate chip wars for the Lightning. Sign me up as I will pay for all the dyno pulls if the Tuners are willing to put their chip where the mouth is???

------------------
99.5 Factory Red Clearcoat, Chromed SVT rims, Polished Billet Grills, F1 Cobra Hood, Color matched Lo-pro snuglid, clear corner lenses & tailights, superchipped, sal air filter, Bel-tech 3/4 lowering kit, okole seat covers (red), rhino liner, color matched muth mirrors, 25 piece REd carbon fiber dashboard kit, JBA headers and V1 radar detector.
BTW-Some secret stuff...
Completed on 4/21/00.
Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 06-10-2000).]

Old 06-10-2000, 01:47 AM
You are correct that the dyno will get expensive but if this is what it takes then I guess I will have to work more overtime! I do not think that the tuners would give up chips that easy but it sure would be nice. I believe this is in the best interest of everyone. And yes we could have a day @ the drags as well. I allready have Swansons chip and I still have a Superchip of my Fathers so I just need the other two. Of course I would need to send the Superchip back to be recalibrated for some things but this should not be a problem. I am still unsure when Sal will contact me but I beleive that Sean Hyland's chip can be picked up fairly easy.
(SAL), Can you contact me soon?!?!?

------------------
ALL BOTTLE No THROTTLE

Old 06-10-2000, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, Sal here. Jeff from the NLOC is in the process of doing this exact thing. He is going to do controlled dyno tests, and possibly track testing and drivability testing.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP
Best ET 13.09 Best MPH 104.58mph Best 60ft 1.87
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, M/T ET Streets PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 06-10-2000, 10:49 AM
Compitition breeds better products for us end users.

May the wars continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Go Hard or Go home........
*Red 2000 SVT Lightning
*Leer Lo-Rider Bed Cover
*PSP Filter
*PSP Chip
*Adopted 3/29/00
-98 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6L Supercharged with FRPP Eaton M112 @ 9psi, to many other handling/engine mods to list.....

Old 06-10-2000, 11:03 AM
Wink

I think I'll wait for Consumer Reports comparison.

But, seriously how will a controlled study be done? No offense intended to the chip burners but who's to stop someone from burning a "hot" chip for the dyno that may have some drivability issues that won't show up until used for an amount of time?

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
Track time pending...

Old 06-10-2000, 03:22 PM
Hey crush69, I got the PSP chip so maby you just need to get the SHM chip. Whenever you want to do the dyno day and the track day let me know. We can swap chips between trucks and make runs with each. Document everything and do it properly ( reset comps., give time to let it relearn, cool down, keep air temps and all the rest.) We could even do shift tests. When ever you want to do this let me know so I can plan in advance. Then we will see if our result match the other guy thats gonna try this.

Old 06-10-2000, 06:36 PM
OK, I'm willing to buy one or two or the four chips. Say the PSP and Swanson and donate my stock truck for baseline testing at the Dragstrip, dynos and (subjective) road tests. If anyone else in LA/Ventura/Orange Counties is game (George???)and has the Superchip and/or Hyland I'm willing to exchange with them for testing purposes.

If you want to avoid 'ringer' chips don't let the suppliers know who's buying and why. Plus since I have NO chip yet, I am currently unbiased.

------------------
Big1Daddy
--------
00 Silver Lightning, DOB 05/00, Stock, More Fun than anything else I can remember using 4 wheels--
Looking for info to take out my pesky neighbors C5

Old 06-11-2000, 12:56 AM
Talking

I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately as I believe Sal has pointed out a good chip on the dyno is not necessarily a good chip at the track.
Track comparisons however, will be very dificult unless you can make all runs under the same track, temp. Bar Press. ratings. At crowded tracks it's really difficult to make a lot of runs. One reason I like our 1/8 mile strip on Friday nites is you can make 20-30 runs. Even my seat of the pants tests tell me this truck likes cold dense air and the more the better. Trying to set a dialin time that you won't break out of in night racing is difficult because each run will usually get better as the night goes on and the air and track cool.
noelvm

Beware off getting a "special" chip that is made for your tests and not the same as the one they sell to everybody else.

Old 06-11-2000, 01:28 PM
Cool

Like Sal said, this is already in the works. And like Big said, there are ways to avoid having the chips "tweaked."

Same dyno, same totally stock truck, same day. Detailed methodology to prevent skewing from cool-down and "learning."

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
http://nloc.org
SVT Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2 on radials, driven daily
SVT Lightning #?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5 STOCK (except for the Jack In The Box antenna ball power option)
fmosracing@aol.com

Old 06-11-2000, 04:32 PM
If you're gonna have a Chip War, why not turn it into an all out Shootout.
The four companies, and all the products they have to offer. I'll bet you they're all looking at these posts right now.
I'd nominate Jeff as the Host. Non-biased, and uninfluenced. All the companies donate thier products to him, I'd sure they'd be more than willing to.
Might have to Duct tape ole Jack in the Box to the antenna.

Old 06-11-2000, 09:44 PM
Caka,
You have my number and I should be free for this weekend. I need to know what mods you have on your truck? I have the Mass air, Pulley, Flows, 4:10's. I think we need to get together to make sure the mods will work on all chips that we presently have. I am free during the days so if you want to meet or something just give me a call in the mornings or the night before.

Quick Reply: "CHIP WAR"