Lightning

Some vendor issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006 | 05:33 PM
|
Some vendor issues

I don't think i've ever come on here and complained about the quality of any product i've bought, but I have to relay a couple things I came across today.

I have a JLP airbox that i bought off a friend of mine a while back that's been on the truck. I recently picked up a used REM smooth tube and painted it to match my truck. Finally got around to putting everything together.

Now, I knew ahead of time there would be an issue with the REM tube and JLP box. The only real issue is that because of the angle the tube put it on, the box hits the hood. Easy fix is to trim down the box hight about an inch and problem solved. When you put the trim back on the top, you can't even tell the difference.

So i removed the box and removed the lid. As i'm unscrewing the clamp for the filter i'm like WTF!!! The "welds" if you even want to call them that that hold the box together are no longer holding anything together and the sides of the box are no longer attached to the front where the maf connects. There are like these 2 tiny *** spot tacks on each side, probably just failed from vibration, but still. I never noticed how cheesy it was constructed. So anyhow, i trim the top of the box and alter the lid and mock everything up and looks ok. I go to connect the passenger side tube from the valvecover to the REM tube and it don't fit. So I take it off the valve cover and put it on, it's a solid inch away from where it needs to be.

So after all this, the stock boot went back on and i had enough. So if anyone is interested, i have a used red REM tube i'll be posting.

What is the JLP box made out of?? I'm going to have to weld it I guess but without stripping back paint, is it steel or some monkey metal?

I'm actually thinking of going back to the stock airbox.

Old 06-13-2006 | 05:48 PM
that is how they are made. i sold mine from my last L and the buyer complain on here and JLP chimed in that is was constructed that way.

Old 06-13-2006 | 06:46 PM
Dude, same problem here. Cheap POS. I've had mine for about 14 months and it's rusting inside and out. What a waste of money.

Old 06-13-2006 | 06:56 PM
Yea...that JLP box is VERY cheaply made. Brand new outta the box...half the welds came apart just by gently pulling on the side of the box. Thanks goodness it at least looks good

Im not vendor knocking or anything..just saying that the jlp box i got was cheaply cheaply made for the price I paid!!!

Old 06-13-2006 | 06:56 PM
I had the JLP box also and laughed at the quality also.

Old 06-13-2006 | 07:59 PM
I run JL's ram air kit and while it I think it performs fine I have to agree, quality wise it's not a really well built piece, I have a couple small dimples of rust in the box, nothing big but there none the less, mine also just hits the hood which by lowering the top of the air box a quater inch would solve the problem in the design.

Old 06-14-2006 | 06:21 AM
If you want a real QUALITY piece check out ChickenEar's CoolAid!! it is a great unit and all material's are top shelf!! Worth ever bit it costs. I had a brand new PSPcai I did not use. When I saw the CoolAid kit. Artie

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:01 AM
Billet

Tim now offers a billet top to go with the air box. It's on my "gotta have it" list.

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
I don't think i've ever come on here and complained about the quality of any product i've bought, but I have to relay a couple things I came across today.

Blah, blah, blah...

I'm actually thinking of going back to the stock airbox.
Why not just pick up the phone and call them? I'm sure they'll take care of it. Why come here and bash if you're not going to give them a chance to address the issue...

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by lurker
Why not just pick up the phone and call them? I'm sure they'll take care of it. Why come here and bash if you're not going to give them a chance to address the issue...
that is just how they are made, a phone call won't do anything. Like i said the person i sold mine too made a post and JLP said that is how it is constructed.

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:27 AM
|
idiot

I have a JLP airbox that i bought off a friend of mine a while back that's been on the truck
So i'm going to call JL and ask him to send me out a new box, even though I bought it used 2 years ago??? Yeah, that will happen.

Obviously i'm not the only one with that issue from the posts. That's how they are made. They are poorly made.

I'm not bashing anyone. Just simply stating the product is what it is. In no way did I attack JL or bash. Put down the pom pom cheerleader!!!

****It's so fun when the shoe is on the other foot***

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:30 AM
So i'm going to call JL and ask him to send me out a new box, even though I bought it used 2 years ago??? Yeah, that will happen.

Obviously i'm not the only one with that issue from the posts. That's how they are made. They are poorly made.

I'm not bashing anyone. Just simply stating the product is what it is. In no way did I attack JL or bash. Put down the pom pom cheerleader!!!

****It's so fun when the shoe is on the other foot***
So you called?

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:45 AM
|
ok

how bout you call JL and ask him what he will do for me and everyone else, that way i won't have to actually post a bash against him when he tells me to go **** my fist!!!

Idiot.

Old 06-14-2006 | 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by lurker
Now THAT ^ is hilarious!

Old 06-14-2006 | 01:15 PM
how bout you call JL and ask him what he will do for me and everyone else, that way i won't have to actually post a bash against him when he tells me to go **** my fist!!!

Idiot.
Now thats funny right there!

Quick Reply: Some vendor issues