Lightning

Georgia_Moon and 2000L Program Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Georgia_Moon and 2000L Program Code

I reviewed the last two posts for the Program Code changes.
I went to the dealer today, just happens to be a Lincoln/Mercury Dealer. The service manager is a proud L owner and a great person. My control arms fix is on order and he had me come in to check my alignment before I go to Lake Mead next week. During this, I mentioned the Program code changes. The tech, with the help of the manager checked the codes of my 2000. My point and questions are the following:
My timing program was set for retard enabled.
He changed it to disabled. He also "changed" the octane rating to 90. (The thing about changing the octane # is they can change it to 87-92 but the machine they were using didn't say what the default setting actually was).
Am I right for the retard disabled or should it be enabled and should the octain rating be 92 as recommended and used! ( Not 90).The reader/programmer can alter, octane adjust,fuel octane and fuel type.
This same reader CAN change an inoperative or inaccurate speedo. You CAN change tire size, axle ratio, drive line and transfer case(if so equipped). The memo from Ford on my vehicle addresses the issue point by point.
The memo also refers to PCM or Chip modifications and the fact that they may void your warranty. I have the memo and can refer to it verbatim if necessary.
QUESTION....What are the OPTIMUM settings???
"JUST THE FACTS" , as Joe Friday said

Old 06-09-2000, 04:26 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Hey there, whats that memo say? I beleive disabling the timing retard and adjusting the octane setting to 92 would be optimum for the stock chip. Have you noticed any differences (seat of the pants)?

Old 06-09-2000, 10:13 AM
The timing retard is disabled and octane set to 90, per the dealership recommendation.
So far, cant tell the difference.

Old 06-09-2000, 10:34 AM
tvw
PD Lightning,

The mechanism used to change settings in the computer... what is it? Is it rentable, buyable, Ford proprietary, or something else? Seems like a neat deal to have in the garage if it isn't too big a hassle or too many $.

-tvw

[This message has been edited by tvw (edited 06-09-2000).]

Old 06-09-2000, 11:17 AM
Question

PD - I just spoke to me service guy and he said to bring mine by and he will check it. My question is do you have a chip? I am wondering if I have him make this change if my chip will just override it afterwards. He knows I run a chip so it's not a big deal but I don't want to waste his time if the chip controls this anyway.

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-09-2000, 01:25 PM
PD Lightning

What follows may be inaccurate and I'd hope someone more smarter will correct any bad info. I believe that timing needs to be retarded due to a lower octane gas i.e. 87. Reason being that we have blowers that increase compression ratio to where detonation can occurr using a low octane gas. To reduce detonation, timing is retarded. So, if you disable retard timing in you PCM, and set your gas octane to a higher value i.e. 92, you're increasing performance. Just don't use a low octane gas because you can be assured to hear that evil engine killing PING....BAD MOJO.

Old 06-09-2000, 05:41 PM
I talked to Hillbilly Rob this morning and he talked to his dealer who told him there is nothing they can adjust on the computer. He is taking it in to the dealer I took mine into on Monday. PD Lightning is the 4th L I know of with the setting at 87 octane and Mike Troyer (Mr. Superchip) told me they all come from the factory set at 90 octane. What gives? Obviously some service techs don't know about it and I can believe that. Anyone that wants to have it checked should print out this thread and hand it to their dealer. That's the only way to get it done I guess. The power of the internet is a beautiful thing, ain't it. I don't know how much of a change these settings will feel like but if I have to pay $2.15 a gallon I might as well be getting my money's worth! I am going back in to the dealer and have them set it to 92 if possible and mess with whatever will make it perform like it is capable of! My brother says it is plenty fast enough now but he just wants one.

Mike

Old 06-09-2000, 07:33 PM
Just to make sure, this has nothing to do with the 99 Lightnings, right?

Mike

Old 06-09-2000, 10:00 PM
Old 06-10-2000, 02:42 AM
My dealer didnt have the "card" that goes in the hand held unit to be able to adjust the speedo for the gear change but they did confirm that mine was set for premium.

I guess I need to find the part number of the lightning "card" that goes in the unit so my dealer can change the speedo. Any one have deatils of the device needed to adjust for gears??

Doug

------------------
Got Silver 2000 Lightning 2/28/00!!
1st run 13.9 sec 1/4 !!
Doug
Carrollton TX
drbdkb@hotmail.com
Had 87 Turbo Coupe traded for
92 F150 XLT 302, Put K&N Filter, cat back and Chip on 92 still not enough.

Silver 2000 Lightning, 3.73 gears ( Expensive ), Superchip, Valentine 1, Snuglid, Bedrug and nickel tint.
Have Sals Chip and Filter on order, cant wait.

Old 06-11-2000, 07:04 PM
BRIMSTONE...according to the print out from the dealer, it is for the 1999/2000 F150/250 LD , expedition/Navigator and Mustang stock PCM (chip) only. Mine is stock with a PSP filter mod only.

2000 BLACKBOLT
BADBOLT
It is actually unk what my "default" octane setting was. They did "assign" the 90 octane rating as "precautionary"!
We already use 92, so I thought 90 would be a good STEP to determine if any PING would occur.

SILVER-2000. Service mgr had updated flash card for the NGS or SBTS reader that is inserted into the diagnostic port on the 2000 L. You must use a GREEN 4.2 level card and the flash cable, enter service bay functions, then PCM, then EEC-V configure. If at any time a message stating "any change requires a complete reprogramming", then enter the VIN (last 8 digits), select the correct calibrations and follow the onscreen prompts until the NGS displays, "would you like to modify any PCM parameters?". Answer ,YES. This path will lead to the same VID update screen as the level 4.2 card. Ignore the first three selections and enter the applicable tire size,(REVS/MILE, obtained by dividing the circumference of the tires in inches into 63360, which is inches in a mile), then the axle ratio, then the drive line and transfer case if so equipped. (Non Lightning of course on the transfer case ). IF ONLY the first three selections are available, octane adjust, fuel octane and fuel type, then the PCM is not configureable!! If so, use the SBDS, load the November Disc. Select powertrain, then input the VIN and touch continue. Select "EEC-V PCM reprogram) then continue. Perform the hookup procedure per the screen instructions and continue. Select the calibration and select YES when asked if the VID needs to be updated. Turn key OFF and continue. Turn key ON and continue,an instructional screen provides the process that is to be performed Continue to the tire size, axle ratio, driveline,transfer case screen and make appropriate selections. Verify speedo/odometer accuracy by comparing the odometer reading with mile markers and the REVS/MILE should be adjusted accordingly to account for any errors. Speedo/odometer error must be within 3.75 %. NOTE: This procedure was also published in the August/Sept service bay products newsletter.

This was retyped from a FORD printout on my vehicle when the dealer entered codes for a rough Idle.

This same memo warns of a warranty VOID if the chip has been replaced and possibly attributed to a driveline failure when brought in for service.

SORRY for the long POST. I thought everyone can benefit from this information.

Old 06-11-2000, 10:13 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
No need for an apology there, I think I can say it for everyone, Thanks!!!! Wow, what great information. I think I will print that out and take it to my mom's dealer, since she has worked with him for 10 years ('90 Cougar, 171k miles, head gasket fiasco) I hope he has the proper tools. Lincoln/Mercury dealer, maybe, not much trucks there.

Quick Reply: Georgia_Moon and 2000L Program Code