Lightning

TrackBeast or other spring rubber users

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006 | 09:57 AM
|
TrackBeast or other spring rubber users

I am thinking of going back to the stock front springs when I install the BellTech spindles.

Which spring rubbers (soft/med/hard) are you running?

From what manufacturer or source?

How many?

How much ride height does each rubber add? I suspect that there is no precise answer and it depends on the hardness of the rubber, but any guidelines would be helpful.

Anything else I need to know to help with my decision?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2006 | 10:22 AM
I remember a fellow that had the Belltech spindles used the stock springs with some polygraphite spacers from Performance Suspensions Technology that he liked. I do not know the firmness of them(if there is one). Might want to call them. Here's a link: http://www.p-s-t.com/ford/focatalog.html

Old 06-18-2006 | 11:50 AM
|
Thanks, but we are talking about two different things, Mondo.

You are talking about spring spacers/isolators that go at the end of the coil.

I have a whole variety of them waiting for the install.

I am talking about spring rubbers that go in between the coils.

Old 06-18-2006 | 01:43 PM
My bad. I would think that Suspensions Tech. would have those as well, no?

Old 06-18-2006 | 02:29 PM
I am going back to stock springs too Tim.
Tried the Eibach and found the truck wallowed even though it was lower than stock.

Put my original springs in less 1 -1/2 coils but the travel is wrong and will bottom out. Ride is nice and low and firm on the corners.

Going back to stock springs with lowering spindles.
Do you rate the Belltech kit?

Old 06-18-2006 | 04:05 PM
I cant get you a few numbers to call Tim to places we buy them for the race cars if youd like

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by LatemodelRacer2
I cant get you a few numbers to call Tim to
places we buy them for the race cars if youd like
Add meh to the interested parties list, guys ...

Old 06-20-2006 | 02:21 PM
With the spindles and stock springs and stock isolators, I ended up with a solid 2.5" drop. Belltech swears that it is no more than 2" and I believe that someone on this board got 2". So I'm sitting at 16.5" which is fine.

My new approach is to go soft on the springs and stiff on everything else, which also makes for a nice street ride also. So I went with poly everything and built custom end links that can be really tightened down and my sway bar bushings have no slits and are drilled tighter than what would come with the bars. Not sure how much difference that makes but I like it tight.

I'm running the Hotchkis front bar with the Hellwig rear with high density poly bushings (not the soft ones supplied) and upgraded hardware.

When I started investigating the spring rubbers, I opted to stay on the conservative side in terms of hardness due to the added stress it puts on the springs themselves outside where they are supported. My intentions was to first test with one on each spring and then add a second one. The ride height increase with one rubber is 1/4" or less and the results are very positive. Next, I will add a second one and keep playing with my shock setting. My non-scientific calculations with 2 rubbers should take the spring rate from 665 to about 850lbs.(total # of coils and remove 2 with consideration to a certain amount of give depending on the hardness of the rubbers) With everything else being so stiff including the shocks, it is still necessary to be able to transfer weight otherwise you end up with a drift vehicle.

The spring rubbers that I am using are sold by BSR # MRG 1287 and are described as rear rubbers because they are grooved on both sides. The distance between the bottom of the grooves is 7/8". With these rubbers you are basically taking out 1 loop for each rubber and the rest of the spring will compensate somewhat. I haven't tried this but I am hoping that the increase in ride height will be no more than 1/2" with both on.(low density rubber) Hard poly will be less compliant and will result in increase ride height. If anyone uses other types, I would be very interested to hear your impressions but I am very pleased with the results so far. With all my other changes, I have built a great all around suspension with excellent adaptability and few compromises.

Hope this helps.

TB

http://bsrproducts.com/pdf/PDFs_new/...0page%2081.pdf

Last edited by TrackBeast; 06-20-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2006 | 03:38 PM
In terms of springs, we are extremely limited in what we can use with the spindles. If someone would like to be able to use other springs and not have the truck sit in the weeds, Energy Suspension make anF-150 specific coil lift isolator that will give you a net lift of 1". It fits at the bottom of the coil in the perch. I purchased a set in case I decide to try another spring.

1997-03 Coil Lift Isolator Set (front only- 1" lift) 4.6106

Apparently, Prothane has something similar but I've never seen a picture of it.

Old 06-20-2006 | 05:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
. . . I have built a great all around suspension with excellent adaptability and few compromises. . . .
Prepare to be imitated.

Originally Posted by TrackBeast
. . .Hope this helps. . . .
Absolutely.

Old 06-20-2006 | 05:21 PM
|
FYI: I have cataloged all of the applicable spring spacers that I know of here.

Spring rubber info is here.

Thanks again, TB.

Old 06-20-2006 | 05:23 PM
|
BTW, Beast, what are you running for rear springs?

I am leaning toward stock springs with front hangars for the drop.

Another option is to have the springs de-arched.

What say you?

Old 06-20-2006 | 05:38 PM
electrician is finally coming this weekend to wire up the compressor.
do you need to get this spring rubbers or are you all just using them because you are real men and road race?
i will be running stock springs with front hangers and rear shackles for the drop.
thanks

Old 06-20-2006 | 06:32 PM
|
Originally Posted by halflife
. . . do you need to get this spring rubbers or are you all just using them because you are real men and road race? . . .
I only want them to make sure that no one thinks that TB's ***** is larger than mine.

The idea is to make a tuneable, progressive spring. I have tried everything else, so now I'm going full circle and trying this.

Old 06-20-2006 | 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
I only want them to make sure that no one thinks that TB's ***** is larger than mine.

The idea is to make a tuneable, progressive spring. I have tried everything else, so now I'm going full circle and trying this.
Thanks, maybe one day i will go play with the big boys, for now no rubbers!

Quick Reply: TrackBeast or other spring rubber users