Burning Rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 06:33 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Burning Rich

Hey fellows,

I just got back from the muffler shop, hoping to get my 'straight' pipes on, and One of the guys came out to look at my exhaust system. First words out of his mouth, I don't want to touch this thing! Its burning way too rich. Then asks if its still under warranty and told me to take it right back and have them fix it. He said its burning the muffler right off. Anyways, he seemed really concerned about it and wouldn't even sell me 10 feet of exhaust piping for recreational use, tol me to go to NAPA.

I know to take his word for what it's worth, but I cannot deny it, it does burn rich, we all know that, but how rich is too rich? Today as a matter of fact, I do not spend much time on the passenger side of the truck while its running, but my mother was puking her guts out, and I notice a trail of unburned fuel on past the left front tire. Thats where the wind was blowing, but I did not expect to see that.

Is there anything the dealer can do to fix this? Any other info would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-12-2000, 06:41 PM
Lightbulb

You might wanna have a dealer look at it if you have raw fuel coming out. May be an injector malfunctioning.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
Track time pending...

Old 06-12-2000, 07:27 PM
I think you have a better chance of condensation than raw fuel.No way your truck is allowing fuel out the pipe.Next time stick your finger in it.Its probally black water!

Old 06-12-2000, 10:35 PM
Talking

They all run rich. There isn't an L around that the inside of the exhaust tips isn't black. Forget that old crap about gray. There's probably water in it too. There's always water in mine. My intercooler leaks some maybe its from there or condensation.
noelvm

Old 06-12-2000, 11:13 PM
The reason Ford set these trucks up running so rich was to insure the that the motor has no detonation while the eaton is making boost. HANKFAN

Old 06-12-2000, 11:39 PM
am I correct in assuming that the aftermarket chips will lean the mixture out more?

------------------
00 black L....still stock, but not for long
86 Merkur XR4Ti
93 Coupe DeVille
74 Z28 Rally Sport
86 Olds 88 police special (my obligatory Michigan winter-beater)

[This message has been edited by speed (edited 06-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by speed (edited 06-12-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 03:50 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Its not actually a trail of fuel, its more like condensation, or something. If you ever see a car idling for a few minutes, you will notice a patch of darker concrete, as if it were wet, near the exhaust pipe. It was like this, except all the way past the front left tire, since that was where the wind was blowing. I knew to expect something like that, but not that much. Later on I let it idle, and yes there was water sitting at the end of the pipes, and dripping out, once again, much more than I expected.

So, we got to get a chip to get rid of the richness huh?

Thanks for the input, and sorry for that misleading part in the first post

...trail of unburned fuel on past the

Old 06-13-2000, 07:38 AM
Tundra - I did notice that mine doen't seem to burn as rich since I put the chip in. Before the chip you could clean the tips, run half an hour and they would be black again. It doesn't seem nearly as bad now. By the way, mine drips water as well. I'm pretty sure it's not gas as it didn't smell like it and I couldn't light it after I soaked some up on a Qtip.

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter with S&B Big Mouth
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear Front Corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
* Taillight Covers
* Muth Turn Signal Mirrors
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

[This message has been edited by Hwy_2_L (edited 06-13-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 02:56 PM
The Lightning exhaust system seems to make a lot of condensate until fully warmed, up more than anything I ever owned.

This water or condensate is largely a by-product of the combustion process, where water is actually produced .

This increased level of water vapor in the exhaust gas will condense when it reaches its dew point (which could in the exhaust gas be less than say 150 to 200 degrees F.).

The more combustion that takes places the more water vapor is produced, and with the exhaust system not at full operating temperature you'll see a lot of liquid draining out of the tail pipes.

If your L is really running too rich it would be unusual that the computer would not give you an "engine needs service" signal, or have poor drivability... I think you need to find another muffler shop.

Quick Reply: Burning Rich