Lightning

Why/How I got my Lightning--Common Story?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2000 | 01:54 PM
|
Heh this is funny i always lower everything i get and by dad yells at me not to =p. If i was your son we would have been ordering the 3/4 drop kit that night, heh.

I was driving home from school one day and drove past the dealership and seen a black and a silver L sitting out front. I turned around and went and checked it out. I was in love and was currently driving a 99 grand cherokee and bored as hell with it. My last faster car i had was a 95 corvette in 96. I had it for one week and a drunk driver hit it and did 20,000 dmg to it and totaled it. That reminds me i have had my truck for a week now today i am not leaving the house for the rest of the day!
Within 4 days i had the paper work done and the truck is mine now =). I was going to get black at first but with having no garage i choose silver to help keep it cleaner. I must say no though i am glad i choose silver regardless i love the color and the truck.

Old 06-07-2000 | 02:00 PM
Thumbs up

Ordered mine with out ever having seen a Gen. 2 in person and waited 9 months for delivery. I wish it would have been as easy as your story.

DUCK

------------------
Build the Hell outta Bonfire 2000!

[This message has been edited by DUCK01 (edited 06-07-2000).]

Old 06-07-2000 | 02:07 PM
Made a deposit on mine before ever test driving one. After waiting a couple of months for the truck to arrive, I took it for a test drive and left with the truck within a couple of hours.

Mike

Old 06-07-2000 | 02:18 PM
Wink

I used to drive a jacked up 98 F150 Offroad. That truck was mean. Had just had $1500.00+ stereo equip. installed in it. Well, a very good friend who works at the big local country radio station as promo coordinator was doing a remote broadcast from the dealership and had a few Randy Travis tickets he was holding onto for me. So I got off work and got up there and walked in and gave him a hug and turned around and saw her. Sitting on the showroom floor. That was it. I was done. Garrett stood there talking and I never heard a word he said. That was on Wednesday Sept 1st. That Saturday I went in and we went back and forth and I left and came back 3 times before everyone was happy with the deal. It didn't look good for a while there though, but on my last return trip I knew I was going to walk out with my truck because they had pulled her off the showroom floor, filled the gas tank and washed her up all pretty. The reason I mentioned the stereo from the Offroad...none of it fits in the Lightning hehe But I don't care. There are very few things that make me as happy as my lil girl.

CA

Old 06-07-2000 | 02:29 PM
Thumbs up

Just the IDEA of a super charged 5.4 liter in an F-150 had me drooling. I had money down 3 months prior to anyone ever seeing a lightning, or even knowing what the price was. Then I finally saw one, I WAS IN LOVE, still had 2 more months to wait for mine. Damn I love this truck..

I'd wait 5 months again...

Brad

------------------
* 99.5 Black Lightning
* Personal Best ¼ Mile 13.82 @ 99.98 Mph
* Ohio Plate SVT2GO
* Sal’s Chip and Filter
* Interceptor Trans
* All three Factory options for 99
* Factory CD Changer
* Class 3 Towing Hitch
* Factory Tonneau Cover
* 8" Bazooka Tubs
* Kenwood 80 watt *2 amp
* Viper 550 Alarm w/ remote start
* 97 F-150 Extended Cab 4.2L V-6 daily driver

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. 99 Lightning, the best of both worlds!

Old 06-07-2000 | 02:59 PM
About 9 months ago I put a deposit on a new (yet to be built) boat, with the stipulation that delivery not take place until this summer. I knew my Civic was not up to the task of towing it, so I planned to buy an f-150 and turn the Civic into a rice rocket (yes, I know there are many on this board who resent those cars from Ohio, for some reason, but I really liked the idea of having a stock looking Civic that could do 13s). I had read about the L. in magazines, and thought it was a cool truck, but I didn't like any of the colors, and I didn't think it had enough towing capacity. I went by the same dealership that you bought yours at, Big Daddy, and they had a black one on the lot. It looked really nice, but I am not into constant truck washing. Anyway, when they announced that the 2000s would come in silver, and I researched the towing issue further, I decided that maybe an L. would fit the bill after all. In January I had to take a trip to San Francisco, and the Civic tranny was making nasty noises, so I decided to buy an L. that morning and drive it up. I called Barber and asked them if they had a silver L. for sale. They fell out laughing and said all but one of their allocation had been sold; if I wanted one I'd better get a deposit down on the last one that day. So I did. And, to abbreviate this already overlong narrative, someone in the queue ahead of me decided not to take delivery, so I got the first 2000 and not the last. So its very possible that the silver that you got is the one that I originally ordered. The order # isn't 9403, is it? Anyway, two weeks after taking delivery on the L. I totalled my Civic. Fortunately I hadn't gotten very far on the rocket project, and I got a hell of an insurance settlement out of it. So the L. is now my daily driver, and I doubt if I will get another vehicle, at least until the F-types come out. Its in the shop today getting the 4.10s installed, and once that gets done and then the chip and MAF and Cal tracs I think it will be plenty fun to drive around and chew up the occasional C5.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, cam bolts, 4.10 gears
(soon, Swanson's chip and MAF, Cal-tracs)

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 06-07-2000 | 04:03 PM
In December 99 I traded my 97 F150 for a 00 Explorer Sport (I must have been on drugs or something). I had all sorts of problems with the Exp and had been complaining to the dealer and Ford about it. On March 3rd 00, I was driving to my dealer for service (attempt #4 on fixing the brakes) when this beautiful red truck passed me like I was going backwards. I didn't have a chance in hell of catching it but I did notice something about SVT F150 on the tailgate as it went by. When I got to the dealer I dropped the Exp in service and went in to find my sales rep. I asked him what he knew about this SVT F150 truck. Of course he didn't have one on the lot but he produced a picture and some information and I was sold. Basically I told him that he was to get me one and that he was going to take that problem riddled Exp back. We worked it out with the help of the Ford distract manager and I took delivery of my 00 L on May 3rd. I've always had a thing for Ford trucks but nothing I've owned in the past compares to the L. I've already got my name on the list for an 01 L.

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-07-2000 | 05:37 PM
i was in shreveport, louisiana last year & a black '99 passed me on the interstate...
it had a high-rise cowl induction hood & texas tags... i was in my dads extended cab '97.. the driver of the '99 saw me looking & "stomped it". never saw him again.
i wonder who it was..

------------------
brooks
'00 silver "L"

Old 06-07-2000 | 09:11 PM
Smile

Read about the new Lightning in the 3/29/99 issue of Autoweek. Went to the dealer the following week and ordered one. Sight unseen and no test drive. Waited until I got a firm build date 6/3/99 then lived at the dealership. Took delivery 6/17/99 and never looked back. Black #1940 WoooooooHoooooooo

Old 06-07-2000 | 10:25 PM
Wow Alphadoggie, we did buy at the same dealer, but the order # on the one I picked up was 9339. It was made in May 00.

Now did you want to tell the board about Steve's customer who got a test drive from you when there were no Lightnings in stock. Steve even said your name was G.V. so no backing out alpha....

When you get the 4.10's installed drop me an e-mail and we can do a side by side comparo.

------------------
Big1Daddy
--------
00 Silver Lightning, DOB 05/00, Stock, More Fun than anything else I can remember using 4 wheels--
Looking for info to take out my pesky neighbors C5

Old 06-07-2000 | 10:49 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I was reading the autoweek section of our newspaper some June/99 friday at work. They had a red Lightning as their weekly article. I was in love already. I told everyone there that this was going to be my next truck (half jokingly). They sure got a laugh out of it, I mean I was only making $8/hour at that time. 3 months later, the family came across some money, and went to Washington to have dinner. I was also going to look for a Lariat, thinking all 4000 Lightnings were sold out. The first dealer we came across was a kid that had never seen a customer before, and another salesman wisked him away. The 2nd salesman took us to another lot, and there it was, a Black Lightning. Only had 8 miles on it.
Drove it for a few months and let my friend hit a moose with it.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
created 8/17/99, bought 9/25/99
#3681/4000
factory tonneau cover
100k mile warrantee, bed/under liner, paint protected
W:L:T ratio
3:1:1

Old 06-07-2000 | 11:00 PM
Cool

Well, I guess I won't be getting any road test referrals from Steve anytime soon, will I? And I thought I was driving pretty conservatively. I'm sure we didn't go over 110, and that only very briefly on the 126 while showing them that the L. had plenty of reserve passing capacity. I think the guy really liked the truck, but I guess his wife was a little freaked, and according to Steve she was the one calling the shots. Well, hell's bells, if they want a Lightning demo they don't expect me to show off the gas milage, do they?
Oh, and yeah, sure I would like to do a comparo, but even cooler, my wife and I had dinner with Chuck and Daryl Wolcott (sp?) tonight, and he suggested that some of us L. owners in this area get together and run our trucks at Pomona. I'm all for it, as soon as I get finished with the mods, and he wants to get Danny's chip first, too. Do you think you would be up for a caravan to Pomona in a couple of months?

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 06-13-2000).]

Old 06-07-2000 | 11:28 PM
Thumbs up

Well, I had just sold my 1997 Anniversary Camaro SS to a guy and was left with a 1999 Chevy S10 Xtremeallyslowandsmall truck. It didn't take very long to get tired of the small little truck. Every time I passed my local Ford dealership, I would see this beautious red L out front. I called a few times to see if it was available. "No, that's sold" But, I still kept seeing it for about 3 weeks. My buddy and I would stop at the dealer to ooogle and go get a Tim Horton's cup-o-brew and chat. Finally, when I'd had enough of the S10, I started shopping for a Chev/GMC/Ford full size reg cab flareside shortie. I'd had only good memories of my 1997 supercab flareside F-150 that I'd sold to get the SS. So, I really did lean back toward the Ford. Well, as I'm slowly cruising the backlot for a truck, (GULP) ANOTHER RED L was staring me down complete with all that funky transport plastic all over the front clip. HOLY SH**!! I go, no, I run into the showroom and ask (fingers triple crossed) "Is that Lightning out back for sale" Strangely enough, it's the same salesman that had sold me my 97 F-150. "Let me check".................."No, that's sold" Damn...Double Damn. These things are impossible to get. Just as we started to go over their inventory of other trucks, the sales manager comes out and spoke absolute music to my ear "That Lightning is available. The guy that ordered it can't take delivery" I felt time slow to a crawl as I went for my wallet and laid 5 twenty's on my salesmans desk. "Mine...Mine...All Mine" I was in like Flint. My salesman said "you don't know how lucky you are to be here at this time to get that truck" "We've got about three other guys that keep calling for the first available one. And, what's best of all....I got it on A-plan bayby!! I am in 7nth heaven. This truck absolutely ROCKS!!

Old 06-07-2000 | 11:49 PM
Alpha, count me in on the Pomona run. I'll still be running stock (waiting for NOS to finish their 150HP kit/then need to get a chip, etc....) Let me know when douglashew@aol.com

Ya, thats the way Steve described it, guys wife said NO. Poor husband, can you imagine you've just seen Nirvana but spouse says you can't go there anymore. Thats why I took my son with me to shop. SLAM DUNK YES.

------------------
Big1Daddy
--------
00 Silver Lightning, DOB 05/00, Stock, More Fun than anything else I can remember using 4 wheels--

Old 06-08-2000 | 12:14 AM
Post Why/How I got my Lightning--Common Story?

A week ago Saturday, I backed my company BMW750iL over a sprinkler at Best Buy. A gas drip soon followed. The next day - Sunday - we planned to go to Carlsbad, CA. So I rented a big Cadillac (275HP Northstar) and left my BMW at the dealer. After waiting a week, my dealer still hadn't fixed the leak, and since the BMW is beginning to suffer from OSBMO (older **** breaks more often) AND my company isn't interested in replacing it even though the maintenance bills would PAY for a new Caddie, So Saturday (June 3), I decided to get myself a second car. I looked at the DTS cadillac (300HP Northstar). Not bad, but not much different from my 312HP BMW-- except newer.

My oldest son (14), has been bugging me to get a pick-up, but nothing out there really excited me. I remembered something from an old Car and Driver (pays to be a pack rat) and dug out the Cover Story on the Lightning. My son said no way, it was lowered, no 4WD or jacking potential.

After striking out with 6 dealers having no stock, #7 was paydirt. They had a Red and a Silver. So my son & I cruised up to Ventura, CA on Sunday June 4th. After oogling the paintwork, the salesman asked for copy of my license, and sent my son & I out within 5 minutes, telling me to head for the nearby on-ramp to a 4 lane highway and drive up a few ramps then come back.

Now just starting that Screaming Red Lightning was fun. I let it warm up for a few then eased on out. At the left turn lane to the curved on-ramp a shiny little red car pulls along the right side. I ask "son what does it say under the tail on that car" Answer "turbo dad". Of course I don't even give that driver the satisfaction of looking. But get this...he nails it on the green, pulls around and in front of me onto the on-ramp assuming he could just cut-off this stupid red truck. Incensed, (and engine was warm now) I floored it once we reached the straight two lane section of the on-ramp WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHAAAAAAAAAA. His problem was he had let off after the curve 'knowing' no truck could catch him. WRONG-O.

Needless to say I bought a truck there Sunday Night (scorching-silver instead of the write-me-up red). I still can't wipe the grin off and I'm really in no hurry for the BMW either.

So, can I assume this reason for buying a Lightning is common? Anyone else decide to buy within 48 hours of even thinking to look(I bet yes)? The previous posts here seem to say so.
Happy Days

------------------
Big1Daddy
--------

Quick Reply: Why/How I got my Lightning--Common Story?