Lightning

word from SVT on ic coolant mixtures

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2000 | 01:37 PM
|
I think that antifreeze also has rust inhibiters and other inhibiters to fight corrosion. Might want to consider that; although, I am really interested in a lighter glycol mix for performance.

Old 06-14-2000 | 03:41 PM
I am in Southern California and have been using 25% antifreeze, the rest is water and waterwetter. This was based on advice I got directly from RedLine. I have had this for over 6 months now, coolant level is fine and no problems with heat.

Mike

Old 06-15-2000 | 12:39 AM
tvw
Post word from SVT on ic coolant mixtures

According to the SVT folks a 50/50 mix is correct for the intercooler coolant and the manual is wrong to ask for 100% antifreeze. We should be able to increase the water % content quite a bit before getting into any issues associated with boilover. SVT recommended (and I agree with this) the use of distilled water with any antifreeze/water mixture.

Also, the pump used for the intercooler fluid is the same as that used on the "electric Rangers" in a standard radiator context, so it is a pretty robust unit. There is no special lubricant issue requiring such-and-such amount of glycol.

Now the question I have is, how far can we go with the water --- 60%? 70%? 80%? Has anyone got data on how hot the fluid gets in normal driving? If it -never- gets near the boiling point of water we could conceivably get to 100% distilled water. I'm guessing that isn't the case, however, and some boilover protection is always needed.

-tvw

[This message has been edited by tvw (edited 06-14-2000).]

Quick Reply: word from SVT on ic coolant mixtures