Lightning

Calling Wyldman

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2000 | 08:54 AM
|
Question Calling Wyldman

Hi Chuck:

I know that I am the world's worst mechancic, but I must be missing something on the S&B filter. I went to install it this morning, and discovered that the mouth of the filter is too large to fit on the Airaid air box. The K&N had a rubber extension that fits snugly over the opening, and then fastens down. The S&B seems to have a rigid opening which will not fit on the box, and the fastener will not tighten on it. It is almost like a rubber extension is missing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Sandy

Old 06-17-2000 | 03:03 PM
Sandy- The S&B comes shipped in 3 pieces. The hard plastic piece is inverted during shipping so it fits in the box. Pull it out, and hose clamp it on. The big hose clamp holds this piece to the filter. The 2 small clamps hold the rubber sleeve to the airaid box on one end and the hard plastic sleeve on the other. I hope this helps. (BTW, I think it's funny that you ended up ordering one, after how skeptical you were of it's value).

Old 06-17-2000 | 06:29 PM
|
Thannks Yes, I was sceptical, but the more I thought about it, it made great sense from a physics point of view. I like the way the open end is now aimed right at the fender well.

Questions:

Did it come with any instructions/hints. I am having a hell of a time getting it to stay on properly. I think it should push on over the hump as deeply as possible. I can just get it to cover the hump, but even after a full tighten it is not totally secure, so I believe it has to go deeper on to box. I was not sure what kind of lubricant would work, and be safe for the rubber. Suggestions? Thanks

Sandy

Old 06-17-2000 | 10:48 PM
Sandy, I don't think you could go wrong with silicone spray. That is what I always use, on any kind of rubber.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry Jordan (edited 06-17-2000).]

Old 06-18-2000 | 01:06 AM
Sandy- When you put the rubber part on, attach it first to the filter. Then push it all the way up on the metal flange on the airbox. If it sticks either direction, use some soapy water to get it all the way on. Do not use silicone, as it will never dry, and those filters are too big and heavy to risk slipping off. I wedged a small cardboard box up against the end of the filter while I tightened the hose clamp. It is totally secure now and is easy to check.

Old 06-18-2000 | 07:47 AM
|
Thanks for the tips guys, I tried the soapy water technique, and it just slicked right o. I can't wait to test it later in the day!

Signed: The filter sceptic.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
Skydive69@msn.com
Apopka, Florida
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Airaid air box (S&B Filter) & Superchip

Quick Reply: Calling Wyldman