Lightning

Considering a Superchip??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2000 | 11:13 AM
|
Post Considering a Superchip??

I have a couple chips and one of them is for sale.

A Superchip for a 2000 L. It is a flip chip and works perfectly. I paid $350 a few weeks ago and will take $200.

If interested e-mail me at jshaw90@msn.com

Jim

Old 06-14-2000 | 11:16 AM
Jim - which one will you end up keeping?

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter with S&B Big Mouth
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear Front Corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
* Taillight Covers
* Muth Turn Signal Mirrors
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-14-2000 | 11:27 AM
|
I'm keeping the Swanson chip. The reason is I like the hard shift that I had Danny Swanson set up for me with his chip.

It saved me from installing the Transgo Shift Kit which I have now sent back to Transgo. The trans kit would have caused trouble with the factory warranty if I ever had a problem with the tranmission.

The Supership is great but as I have stated, I like the harder shift with Danny's.

To be truly honest, I feel the Swanson chip pulls harder on the low end vs the Superchip but this is a fantastic buy for someone who wants great performance out of their L but doesn't care about how hard the L shifts. It will save someone $150.00.

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 06-14-2000).]

Old 06-14-2000 | 10:37 PM
Banned
dorgun1,

I've been down this used superchip road before, actually it was new in the box, but I was still the second hand buyer.

Super chip said NO WAY will we reburn it for free. OK I said how much to reburn it then, NO WE WILL NOT TOUCH IT PERIOD!

Totally rude dude.

Call them yourself if you don't believe me.

Old 06-15-2000 | 12:19 AM
I am wondering if you had any thoughts about the new re-burn of the SuperChip (its free), Posistion 1 has been improved and Position 2 is all out drag racing. One might say you have thrown in the towel on Superchip before you have tried the flip chip for street and drag applications. To someone who may buy this chip, I hope SuperChip will re-burn for you free also. I think you would do well to purchase this chip at a good price. You may have the better of the two chips for all around flexibility and performance when all is said and done.

Old 06-15-2000 | 12:52 AM
|
I just e-mailed Mike to see if the chip can and will be re-burned for free.

------------------
Jim

jim@jimshaw.cc
www.cars-n-trucks.com/lightning.htm
Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels, AIM 2" drop shackles
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 06-17-2000 | 09:23 AM
f1car,

You are making a classic mistake. You are letting one individual (perhaps a jerk)
represent an entire company. As you can see SuperChip WILL be happy to re-burn the chip.

The merits of the chip and programming have "nothing" to do with this particular persons interaction with you. I always try and get the persons name I'm dealing with right away, just in case, and I do call back and complain if I get rude treatment. I try to never miss out on a good deal or product because of one *******.

Old 06-17-2000 | 05:12 PM
Banned
dorgunr,

Well it was Mike someone, you figure it out.

As far as a clasic mistake? Why do I have to deal with a superchip rep when theres Sal and Swansson. Superchip can go f@@@ them selfs as far as I'm concerned.

You posted 'As you can see SuperChip WILL be happy to re-burn the chip.' well dude not to flam but in this thread your statement is NOT substantiated.

Old 06-17-2000 | 07:14 PM
Exclamation

I would not buy another superchip.I have had Way too many problems with quality,Superchips lying to me,lies,lies,lies and more lies.Now that there is swanson and Sal,There is no reason for someone to buy a superchip for their lightning.My latest problem was just plain crappy performance with no problems

I think superchips might well as stop making the chips for the Lightnings.The obviously cant get it right.Their customer service is worse than dealing with bill collectors yES YOU CAN BUY A SUPERCHIP FOR$350 BUT BY THE TIME THEY GET IT RIGHT ,THE SHIPPING ALONE WILL COST YOU $200!!

DISCLAIMER******IF YOU SHALL BUY A SUPERCHIP FOR YOUR LIGHTNING,YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET*********

Old 06-17-2000 | 10:24 PM
|
Mike at Superchip has told me that they are re-burning the performance/race chip for free for the 1999 Lightnings. If and when they have completely developed the performance/race chip for the 2000s, they will be available for a free re-burn.

------------------
Jim

jim@jimshaw.cc
Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels, AIM 2" drop shackles
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 06-17-2000 | 11:08 PM
That Mike guy told me the same thing about a reburn on my 99. We will see how it performs especially in the race only position. On another note so far at the track I have had bad results from the Swanson chip. Maybe it was the weather maybe not but I ran no better that 13.7 at 101's and I also lost boost of 2 of the runs. The Swan. chip does shift harder than my old Sup. chip but so far thats all it has done. Hard shifts without increased performance is not something that I want....but thats me. If the reburned Sup chip in the race only mode works then I'll have a Swan. chip for sale... See ya

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
13.2@103
jcks@home.com

Old 06-17-2000 | 11:16 PM
PFA
You guys that get the RACE version of the Superchip, let us know what you think. I was less than impressed with it in MY Lightning. It did give me a 1/2 second off my no-chip runs, but I have had better from them.

And if your looking for a crisp shift with it, FORGET IT! It's a smooth, loose shift that keeps the RPM's up.......

Good luck

Old 06-18-2000 | 03:06 AM
Wink

JeffsLightning,
If you are having problems with the (NO BOOST) issue then stop trying to beat John Forces burnout record. If you overrev you will hit the limiter and this will cause that problem. I too had this problem stock and with the chip from Swanson but since then I had him up the limiter and stopped trying to compete with Force. I do not have this problem anymore.

------------------
ALL BOTTLE No THROTTLE

Old 06-18-2000 | 09:06 AM
Crush69..1 of the no boost runs was a 2nd to 3rd gear shift..maybe I should send the chip back and have Danny raise my limiter a couple of hundred..thanks for the info..

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
13.2@103
jcks@home.com

Old 06-18-2000 | 04:44 PM
Guys,

NO BOOST can be due to several issues from my understanding (which is limited, as I'm not nearly as educated on the L's computer intricacies as I am with older EEC-IV cars/trucks).

If the computer sees the trans temp fluid is too hot, it can bleed off all boost. If you over-rev the motor and even barely bump the rev-limiter...same thing.

But lately, I've had trouble with mine doing it and none of the two above scenarios occurred. Good and HOT pavement, going from a roll, no tirespin... my Superchip has the shifts programmed at 5600rpm. On my first WOT 1-2 shift of the day it would shift there and then fall flat on its face. Give me some credit..the truck was at operating temp. before doing this. After that it would shift fine, but it was interesting in that somehow the computer was "learning" around the chip and shifting at 5200. Shifted great, boost stayed up. I tried this over a 4-5 day period. _Exactly_ the same thing. Everytime I'd shut the truck down...on the ensuing 1-2 WOT shift (which would inevitably occur at 5600rpm) it would dump the boost.

I call Sal and he says that there is also a "torque limiter" built into the EEC for this truck (maybe others as well). It is at 5400rpm. Granted, my Superchip was done way back in Sept. '99, but I believe (as do sevearl others I've spoken with) that this "limiter" was not touched...probably b/c the R&D just wasn't as good at the time. I'm not blaming anyone. However, according to Sal, if this "limiter" is repeatedly hit then the computer will start dumping boost on the shifts. I'm sure he can clarify and give more details.

I reset the computer on a whim to see what would happen. Everything ran great with the Superchip.

Then I ordered and installed one of Sal's chips...took ONE week to get it...of course I only got a single program one. Initial driving impressions are that Sal's chip is far better in both driveability _and_ WOT performance. I have not had the truck to the track yet, and have not dyno'd it yet. Shifts are more positive than before (and remember, I have a TransGo shift kit installed...the rear end goes just barely sideways with a hard scratch on 1-2...also remember I live in a NE Dallas suburb with "perfect" concrete streets and 90^F heat, so its a sticky track here). Part-throttle and full throttle shifting is improved. It _downshifts_ at 30mph!!

It's going to take some time behind the wheel of the thing now to get used to it. I cannot substantiate and quantify HP/TQ figures b/c I have none to date.

I will try to get to the dyno sometime in mid, late July. It won't be before then. However, after my initial observations I can say that Sal's chip is outstanding.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)--390rwhp/441rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)--362rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4 http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

[This message has been edited by WA 2 FST (edited 06-18-2000).]

Quick Reply: Considering a Superchip??