Lightning

Can someone tell me what this sensor is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006 | 12:08 PM
|
Question Can someone tell me what this sensor is?

It's a little on the loose side. I was going to get a air filter cleaning kit and clean the air filter today (I havn't cleaned it since I've owned the truck) and noticed this sensor was loose/kinda just hanging. I also notice on the manufactures website that this is the wrong intake for my year... on the macperformance website: http://www.macperformance.com/store/...0&CatLevel=top it shows this intake as the 99/00 model. Is this why that sensor is loose?

Old 06-30-2006 | 12:13 PM
IAT sensor (intake air temp) - looks like maybe the mounting gromment in the housing maybe came off?

Bird

Old 06-30-2006 | 12:24 PM
99-00 Lightings have a 80mm MAF, 01-04 have a 90mm MAF.
the only difference with the intake is the size of the hole opening. I'm guessing that the metal spacer converts the 80mm opening on the air box to a 90mm opening for the MAF.

Nothing to be concerned about.

Spray some brake cleaner (leaves no residue) on that end of that sensor and let air dry

Old 06-30-2006 | 12:38 PM
bro i had the same issue with that intake.. the stock sensor will never stay in place because it twists on the stock air box and locks in place.. Sal at PSP sold me a aftermarket sensor that he uses with his air kits, it pops in place and does not move a perfect fit.. i think he will sell you one for like $20 i could be wrong though.. good luck with it.. oh by the way the sensor will fall out eventually.. i hated that MAC CAI!!!

Old 06-30-2006 | 01:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
bro i had the same issue with that intake.. the stock sensor will never stay in place because it twists on the stock air box and locks in place.. Sal at PSP sold me a aftermarket sensor that he uses with his air kits, it pops in place and does not move a perfect fit.. i think he will sell you one for like $20 i could be wrong though.. good luck with it.. oh by the way the sensor will fall out eventually.. i hated that MAC CAI!!!:
Ahh... thanks guys. I bought the truck and it already had the intake installed. So when I clean the filter I should clean that sensor too? Got a link to the aftermarket sensor that fits better? No retuning needed like on a MAF sensor change? Just plug the new one in and go? I'm not going to dump money on another intake, this one will do, I'll just get this one sorted out. For now I think commercial grade liquid nails will do the trick to fasten that loose bugger!

Old 06-30-2006 | 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by emig5m
Ahh... thanks guys. I bought the truck and it already had the intake installed. So when I clean the filter I should clean that sensor too? Got a link to the aftermarket sensor that fits better? No retuning needed like on a MAF sensor change? Just plug the new one in and go? I'm not going to dump money on another intake, this one will do, I'll just get this one sorted out. For now I think commercial grade liquid nails will do the trick to fasten that loose bugger!
LOL.. where in NJ are you from??? i wouldnt use liquid nails, i rather see you use some high temp silicone.. Call Sal at PSP 631-642-3966 or email him at PowerSurgePerf@aol.com.. there is no retune needed, just plug and play.. oh and dont clean the sensor you might damage the needle that is in the center..

Old 06-30-2006 | 04:01 PM
|
I'm NW NJ (Delaware river was in my yard yesterday! The water came right up to my L's tires!) Well I took the filter off and cleaned it. Does the MAC filter need to be oiled? I bought a K&N filter cleaning kit with filter oil. I got the filter on my central air conditioning unit's fan drying, lol, dries my MX bikes filters in minutes, hehe. The sensor in the intake is dirty, you can tell it's sucking through there! So don't attempt to clean it? Not even just spraying some fast drying starter fluid on it? I'm gonna wipe the intake and try to figure out how I can temporarily re-fasten the sensor tightly.

Old 06-30-2006 | 04:28 PM
be very very careful when you re-oil the filter.

too much oil will be sucked into the engine, not a bad thing, but it will coat your MAF and IAT sensor... that is a very bad thing.

Old 06-30-2006 | 07:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by l-menace
be very very careful when you re-oil the filter.

too much oil will be sucked into the engine, not a bad thing, but it will coat your MAF and IAT sensor... that is a very bad thing.
Ya I know from my dirtbikes not to use too much oil on filters. I sprayed a light coat on it and after I put it on and let it sit for about 20 minutes, I took a clean peice of paper towels and wiped all around the filter to check for signs of being over oiled and no excess oil on the paper towel.

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me what this sensor is?