Lightning

I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Just wonder what the salesmen will think about a guy with a highly modded Lightning looking at an X-Runner Will have to take another car...
Take it for a spin if they'll let you. Like I said in another thread, it's a nice handling truck. It's just underpowered compared to the L and underbraked without the upgrade kit. Looks are subjective.

Old 07-05-2006 | 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by BDAZSVT
Gries'd, so what did you get to replace the truck? Or did you fix it?
It was totalled, luckily his insurance worked with me and I got what I thought it was worth. I replaced the truck with an 06 SS trailblazer. Its deffinately not a lightning, but its more practical for what I need at the moment. I am still looking for a good used L but I just bought a house as well and money is a little scarce.

Old 07-05-2006 | 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by PoorSvtMan
if he hit you going 90mph then that frame was going to bend no matter what....

but i have see where smaller cars/trucks hit trucks with hitches and it just bends like what happened to the guy i quoted
Yeah but I was running probably 50, even the cops thought it was pretty amazing. His blood alcohol was .30 so I wasn't that surprised I guess. Like my old man always says, "You can't have nice things!"

Old 07-05-2006 | 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
as for the hitch .... I will be doing a roll pan , the cervinis which allows me to retain the stock hitch...or so cervinis says.....and i will have some nice whale harpoon tips welded to it....."honda radiator removers".....maybe that will reduce the occurance of tailgaters
The SM pan works with the stock hitch. You just have to back the hitch on hole and drill 2 new ones.

Old 07-05-2006 | 09:25 PM
heard not to much good about the SM pan......and too many people have it already.....

Old 07-05-2006 | 11:03 PM
heard not to much good about the SM pan......and too many people have it already.....
It's a beotch to install, but it's the only decent looking pan out there. There is a reason why almost no one buys any other RP for the Lightning -- they are ugly.

BTW, Sir Mike's has a hidden hitch option.

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:40 AM
Pit, I'm certainly not promoting the SM pan. I just wanted to let others know that the stock hitch will fit.

If you buy the SM pan, be prepared to spend twice its value in order to make it fit right. When extensively modified to fit right, it does look best.

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
It's a beotch to install, but it's the only decent looking pan out there. There is a reason why almost no one buys any other RP for the Lightning -- they are ugly.

BTW, Sir Mike's has a hidden hitch option.
Well Tim the SM pan does look very nice when properly installed, but I'm rather fond of the cervinis item, it keeps more with my Grand Touring M5-ish theme.....staggered width mesh rims, HID lightning, and super expensive valeo wiper blades LOL......

also I LOVE the shaker hood, always have always will.....but I personally can not ever recall seeing a shaker hood on anything in the GT-1 GT-2 IMSA classes.....might go for a louvered hood or some custom heat extractor setup, maybe do a sectioning and transplant from a 03 cobra hood .

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:08 PM
. . . but I personally can not ever recall seeing a shaker hood on anything in the GT-1 GT-2 IMSA classes. . .
Not a shaker, but definitely a scoop:

Trans Ams were raced in SCCA:

F*ck it. Get one.

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:58 PM
With the massive F-150 grill, we need a way to get the air out of there at high speed. The Grand Am FR-500 were blowing the hoods off so extraction grills were added. They also gained some speed due to the reduced air pressure build up. That's how the GT-500 got the grills on the hood and the front splitter. I wonder if those grills would look good on our hoods. Personally, I'm not keen on shaker/scoop hoods. But hey that's me. I prefer something functional.

TB

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:47 PM
Tim I have seen those before...I am sorry i didnt say late model.........I am toying with the idea of chopping up a stock hood to somewhat resemble the Ford GT's style of hood with the big extractor ducts

Old 07-07-2006 | 08:27 AM
Definitely not a scoop. We need to get the air out. There's not enough room for a GT style extractor ducts. (No engine under there in the GT)

Something like the GT-500 might work.

Old 07-07-2006 | 09:59 AM
|
remove the inner wheel wells.

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
remove the inner wheel wells.

Rain + No Wheel well liners =

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:34 AM
Rain + No Wheel well liners =
"Rain?" What's that?

Quick Reply: I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS