Lightning

I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:07 AM
|
What advantage does "tieing the suspension points" together do? Does it just make the frame and chassis stiffer, so the suspension can do its job?

I recall Tim said this a few months back...

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
What advantage does "tieing the suspension points" together do? Does it just make the frame and chassis stiffer, so the suspension can do its job?

I recall Tim said this a few months back...
thats the idea, you want to make the suspension do the work not the frame.....

It also keeps everything in proper alignment.

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by pitstain
thats the idea, you want to make the suspension do the work not the frame.....

It also keeps everything in proper alignment.
Exactly what Ian said. If the suspension mounting points are all tied together in the same lateral and vertical planes, then it really doesn't matter what the rest of the chassis is doing.

The X-Factor ties the rearmost front suspension point with the diagonal frontmost rear suspension point (the leaf hangers), which is the major stiffening needed.

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by pitstain
. . . When i do a rollpan i will have some stock put in place of the stock bumper, as large as possible but still allowing install of the rollpan....
As I stated in another post, a 36" long, 8" wide aluminum c-channel should do the job at low cost and with minimal wieght penalty.

onlinemetals.com

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
As I stated in another post, a 36" long, 8" wide aluminum c-channel should do the job at low cost and with minimal wieght penalty.

onlinemetals.com
Thanks again Tim.......I was banking there would be some scrap floating around at the fabricator.....

Have you mocked anything up...I assume your thinking of bolting the alluminum piece in as it couldnt be welded onto the steel

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:38 AM
|
Tim,

do you have an Xfactor installed? I know you talked about it alot.

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:52 AM
Tim did not install it as far as i know since it did not clear his tranny pan......I just checked on the progress of my redesigned unit that will clear deep tranny pans and most exhausts and it will probably be a few more months before it really gets anywhere near completion.....

Old 02-23-2007 | 05:47 PM
|
ttt.

seems to be a lot of discussion over a rear spider to stiffen the rear of the truck.
Which, to me, seems to serve a purpose as the rear hitch, to stiffen the rear of the Lightning's frame, since it is not boxed from the cab back.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=148571

DISCUSS MORE?

Old 02-23-2007 | 06:01 PM
The more I analyse this problem, the more I believe that there are no easy solution.

The OEMs have addressed this issue with their new frames. To do this properly, we should box the rear section of our frames and either solidify the cross members, build stronger ones or add 1 or 2 using the new F-150 frame as a guide. Certainly not an easy job

Old 02-23-2007 | 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
The more I analyse this problem, the more I believe that there are no easy solution. . . .
TB, it depends on which "problem" we are talking about. For general frame flex, the X-Factor works. It is a time-tested solution used by the OEMs themselves from time to time, and it is ubiquitous among weekend warriors. A tube-frame race car is just an assembly of triangulated steel tubes. What is your misgiving about the X-Factor approach?

If the "problem" that we are talking about what's going on behind the axle, see below.

Originally Posted by l-menace
. . . Which, to me, seems to serve a purpose as the rear hitch, to stiffen the rear of the Lightning's frame, since it is not boxed from the cab back
That statement kinda summarizes my difficulty with this topic from the beginning. The tow hitch certainly was not intended to be a frame brace, and I don't think that you mean to suggest the contrary.

Is a rear brace a solution looking for a problem?

Old 02-23-2007 | 10:13 PM
The more I analyse this problem, the more I believe that there are no easy solution.

The OEMs have addressed this issue with their new frames. To do this properly, we should box the rear section of our frames and either solidify the cross members, build stronger ones or add 1 or 2 using the new F-150 frame as a guide. Certainly not an easy job
TB

You are going to have to simply make your own setup and build it in where you can, due to your previous statements of your exhaust not clearing an X-factor, noway, nohow....but boxing is always a good call.

Old 02-23-2007 | 10:22 PM
TB, it depends on which "problem" we are talking about. For general frame flex, the X-Factor works. It is a time-tested solution used by the OEMs themselves from time to time, and it is ubiquitous among weekend warriors. A tube-frame race car is just an assembly of triangulated steel tubes. What is your misgiving about the X-Factor approach?

If the "problem" that we are talking about what's going on behind the axle, see below.

That statement kinda summarizes my difficulty with this topic from the beginning. The tow hitch certainly was not intended to be a frame brace, and I don't think that you mean to suggest the contrary.

Is a rear brace a solution looking for a problem?
With my custom exhaust system, there is absolutely no way to fit the X-factor.

Looking for a problem? Not sure at this point. With my C-notch that was done just before winter a large rear section of my frame is fully boxed but I haven't driven it enough to see if it made a difference. Maybe something like Ian's new brace or something welded to the two rails (where the bumper bolted on) might be all I need at this point. Flex will certainly be reduced. Something to address "twist" and I think I'll be happy.

I've decided that this is about as far as I want to take this truck. Where does it end? GT-500 engine? Rebuilding the frame? I have the facilities and expertise here to do almost anything but I need to start saving for my R8/R10 At that time, the truck's life will be limited to towing duty. It will be a hell of a tow truck

Last edited by TrackBeast; 02-23-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2007 | 11:17 PM
With my custom exhaust system, there is absolutely no way to fit the X-factor. . .
If you can't figure out a way to stiffen the middle of the chassis, I would not waste any more time on the idea. In my non-professional-engineer opinion, worrying about the hitch/bumper area without first dealing with the chassis area ahead of it is like worrying about a pimple on a severed arm.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 02-23-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2007 | 11:50 PM
is like worrying about a pimple on a severed arm.

I think I'm in pretty good shape. One thing that I did notice was what I call "the bouncing hamac effect" was conspicuous by its abscence. That would confirm that the boxing of the rear section has reduced flex. Ultimately, I need some high speed testing to confirm this with the track tires. My new longer panhard also allows my suspension to smoothly take advantage of that new found suspension travel. In high speed corners, the small one seemed to be fighting with the springs on uneven surfaces.

I'm almost there.

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:53 PM

Last edited by TrackBeast; 02-23-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Double post

Quick Reply: I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS