Lightning

I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 01:52 PM
Groovy, indeed!

Old 03-09-2007 | 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Forgive my ignorance - what is it?

-Mark
The tangs at the top go on the inside and outside of the rear leaf hangers, with the shackle bolt going through them.

The bottom plates mount to the Class II hitch holes.

Old 03-09-2007 | 03:24 PM
Very interesting. I look forward to seeing some installed pics.

Can the hitch still be installed with this brace?

Old 03-09-2007 | 03:44 PM
It is a Brace that ties the right and left stock spring perches into the front locator holes from the trailer hitch assembly, allowing extra rigidity for some serious road and or track action... Something that Tim , Ian and I have been kicking around.

Old 03-31-2007 | 09:55 AM
Useless without pic's......or re-kindling the fire?

Old 03-31-2007 | 10:00 AM
Spyder II 16 lb.s 8 oz.

Spyder I 12 lb.s 4 oz.

Old 03-31-2007 | 10:19 AM
An interesting point that was brought up on another thread is that Ford built some movement in the frame by using rivets.

On my new set-up, the front and rear leaf hangers are significantly reinforced and welded to the frame. Poly bushings also contribute to reduce flex. ( the leafs are pushed out and shocks are mounted outboard like the new F-150) In addition, a 3 foot section of my frame has been boxed for the C-notch. I have limited seat time and should soon be out of storage but this has significantly reduced flex. My concern now is that with the bumper and hitch removed, the weak link could be torsional rigidity made worse by strengthening other areas. These braces could be a possible solution. As soon as I get some testing time, I will know better.

TB

Old 03-31-2007 | 11:48 AM
This is only a small part of the picture, the more rigid an object is that constraints or helps to deliver an energy source the less energy is lost.
Certain creature comforts are engineered in and or certain processes of assembly are spread up thru too ease of or for economical reasons the assembly of thee Automotive frame.

The other portion of the equation was produced by Kenny Brown; now being copied/altered by **** and ****. Progress and evolution of products is and always will happen and with hopes for the in betterment of life and the products evolved.

No the first Apollo moon walk wasn’t filmed in Hollywood!

Spyder I, one is and has been designed to help reduce the rigidity one removes when, removing the trailer hitch and rear bumper assemblies. It does add substantial stiffness to the frame even in addition to the bumper remaining in place.

Weight reduction but of course, truly part of the equation,,,not the only reason,,, However a delightful byproduct.

Spyder II, well here is a whole different animal in it's self. Design to lock together and all but eliminate flex/shift in the rear frame arena.
With the leaf perch's being locked into each other and then triangulated into the frame to help stiffen and transfer load. Most all energy transmitted from the drive train is transmitted to the ground thru the axle assembly and tires.

Engineered, now driven,, We shall see.

Garrett

Last edited by Dbl G; 04-02-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2007 | 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
An interesting point that was brought up on another thread is that Ford built some movement in the frame by using rivets.

On my new set-up, the front and rear leaf hangers are significantly reinforced and welded to the frame. Poly bushings also contribute to reduce flex. ( the leafs are pushed out and shocks are mounted outboard like the new F-150) In addition, a 3 foot section of my frame has been boxed for the C-notch. I have limited seat time and should soon be out of storage but this has significantly reduced flex. My concern now is that with the bumper and hitch removed, the weak link could be torsional rigidity made worse by strengthening other areas. These braces could be a possible solution. As soon as I get some testing time, I will know better.

TB
Your mailbox is full...........

Old 03-31-2007 | 05:21 PM
All you need to do now is make a solid anti-roll (sway) bar for the drag crowd. Paralell wheel stands would look much better than the current left wheel goes up first trend that is commonly seen.

Quick Reply: I was thinking today. Did Ford put the Hitch on to stiffen the rear frame? DISCUSS