Lightning

Problems starting the L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000 | 12:32 AM
|
Thumbs down Problems starting the L?

I was wondering if any of y'all have had trouble starting your Ls? I noticed that mine doesn't seem to "catch" sometime when I turn the key and I have to crank it again. I didn't think much of it until I saw someone's (can't remember who) do it a the track last night and Brian's do it in Houston today. Maybe it's the POS fuel pump...or not? Any info or insight would help. Thanks.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 06-18-2000 | 01:29 AM
Hey i've had the same problem, sometimes it wont tstart but hasnt happen in a long time, whats been happening recently is that the engine qill come up bu the AC nor the radio will come up and i have to restart it.

Old 06-18-2000 | 03:22 AM
Ive had the same problem starting mine. And also last night I started it and no radio power?? Didnt think much restarted it and everything is fine.

Old 06-18-2000 | 08:55 AM
I've had this happen to me on occasion when it's shut off for just a short time. Mostly it happens when I'm in the staging lanes (start it; drive it 20 feet, and shut it off; wait 1 minute & repeat), or I whip into a convienience store and am back out in 90 seconds, etc.

Here's what I do to make it go away. There is a sensor attached to the front of the LH cylinder head (cam position sensor?) that seems to get some oil buildup over time. Pop the hood & it's very visible with the wire harness sticking straight out the front of the LH head about 1/2 inch below the valve cover. Loosen the 8mm bolt (over an inch long), and pull out the sensor (it's about 2 inches long so be careful). Wipe off the oily residue with a rag and reinsert. Watch you don't knock off the rubber o-ring. It makes the intermittent extended crank start go away for about 3 months; at least that's how often I seem to need to do it.

Sound strange? I won't argue that, but I had a friend who recently was a Ford dealership tech tell me about it, and it seems to work in my situation, your mileage may vary.

Oh, almost forgot; I personally haven't seen the radio or A/C INOP condition, just an extended crank...

[This message has been edited by roger (edited 06-18-2000).]

Old 06-18-2000 | 06:49 PM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks Roger! I'll have to check on that. It just seems strange that a truck with only 5500 miles on it would be having those kinds of problems already. Oh well, if it works, it works. I can't argue that. Thanks again.

DUCK

------------------

Old 06-18-2000 | 09:25 PM
Hi Duck...

I think my problem is more related to an old 65 Stang. It started going thru starters one year... after replacing three, I thought that maybe, as a novice driver at the time, I might be holding the switch too long after the engine "kicks" over. So now I have this annoying habit of just "bumping" the starter. I've done it on almost every vehicle I've owned since the Stang. Funny, I haven't needed to replace any starters either.

I did notice that I get the "false start" with the chip in performance mode more often than not though.... Hmmmmm.....

Old 06-18-2000 | 11:12 PM
|
Thumbs up

Yeah, I didn't notice if you heard me at the gas station last night. The guy next to me was asking about my truck and after I told him how great it was, I had to crank it twice to get it to start. I was thinking maybe it was just me (my Bronco was the same as your Stang..any more than a bump and it was BAD) so I really didn't pay much attention to it. But then I heard it two more times in as many days, so I was curious.

Thanks for the "trophy", BTW. It was great. Very smooth. I have your bottle and will get it back to you ASAP.

DUCK

------------------

Old 06-19-2000 | 11:54 PM
Roger....

Thx for this valueable info! I had the problem a while back with the hard starting after the short trips. This sounds exactly like the fix for this!

Paul G.

Quick Reply: Problems starting the L?