Lightning

More Hood Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2000 | 04:24 PM
|
Unhappy More Hood Problems...

Well... my L has been in the shop for 3 weeks now getting painted and a new American Auto Designs hood put on.

Some of you may remember the hood was a poor fit to start. BUT after the body shop adjusted the fenders and a few other things the hood aligned ok. (thanks to however mentioned that before)

BUT now there is a problem with the paint. Apparently there is a new kind of paint they have to use and it has just recently changed. Some kind of new regulations.

Well anyway it has been having a bad reaction to the fiber glass pieces and small bubbles are showing up. They will paint the hood, everything looks fine and 24-48 hours a section of the hood will pop out in bubbles. They have to go back, sand out the section and paint again. Anyway this has been going on for 1 1/2 weeks. It is not just my hood, all of the fiber glass stuff they have tried to paint with this new paint bubbles.

Anyway... I'm not sure if this new paint is a California regulation thing or nationwide. But you may want to check with your shop.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the hood cures ok over the weekend and I can pick up the truck on Monday.

I am having major L withdrawls. But driving my parents 97 Twin Turbo Supra during this time has helped ;-) Great power, handling and I love the auto/manual trany.

OK... enough rambling on.

Jeff

Old 07-01-2000 | 05:04 PM
Dude, your paint shop has probably already checked into to this, but are they putting a sealant on the primer before they paint. I had the same problem with my vette a few weeks ago, they called in the rep from the paint manufacturer and that was the solution. Good luck, Jeff

Old 07-01-2000 | 05:24 PM
|
Thanks for the info, I will have to check with them to see if they did. That could be the problem since this is a new type of paint. Maybe they aren't familiar with all the differences compared to the old.

If they don't have the problem fixed when I got back on Monday I will mention it to them. Sounds like maybe that could be it since they are having problems with fiberglass parts on other cars aswell.

Jeff

Old 07-01-2000 | 07:20 PM
Hey Guys,
The guys that painted my truck also talked about having these problems on some of the cars they had painted. They were really worried about what will happen to the paint after a year of wear.
Good luck with your paint.
Alvin

------------------
99 Lightning, 3.73 gear, full Bassani exhaust, Swanson Performance chip,powertube,undersized pully,Transgo shift kit, Pro-M MAS,cobra type hood with yellow stripes, best et. of 13.1, dyno'ed at 378rwhp.
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294235379

Quick Reply: More Hood Problems...