Lightning

Non-Lightning, but worth reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2000 | 01:42 PM
|
Thanks for making us think about it Duck.

Lightning Bob

Old 07-03-2000 | 02:13 PM
I ditto that Lightning Bob

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, 35% tint
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-03-2000 | 03:22 PM
Thanks, Duck01. That was good. Col. Oliver North had an editorial article in the Washington Times today along the same lines. Below are some interesting quotes I collected concerning tyranny and government.

"Government is like fire. It is a dangerous servant and a fearsome master". - George Washington

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
- Thomas Jefferson

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
- Benjamin Franklin

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion". - Edmund Burke

"All political power grows out of a barrel of a gun". - Mao Tse-tung

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them". - George Mason

"One man's death is a tragedy. A thousand men's deaths is a statistic". - Joseph Stalin

The above is my short list. Some of them where taken from memory, and so, they may not be exactly verbatim.

Many people do not realized that the British government of 1700s was quite brutal. The legal code was called the "Bloody Code" There where hundreds of offenses punishable by death, usually by a slow hanging. The Brits where hanging ten year olds for petty theft. One option for some criminals was transport to the Colonies to become endentured servants, in effect, slaves. However, transportation to the Colonies was so bad that many prisoners opted for hanging instead.

Looks like a course in civics today. Test tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2000 | 12:56 AM
Thumbs up Non-Lightning, but worth reading

An interesting piece of info passed along by a friend. On the Fourth, whether you're EuroAmerican, AfricanAmerican, HispanicAmerican,or other, my wish is that we would simply see ourselves as "Americans" -- and acknowledge the tremendous blessing that has been afforded us by our Creator and by those who have given so much that we might live in this great country.

The Declaration of Independence

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two
lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay,
and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr, noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were
laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.

Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were
soft-spoken men of means and education.

They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of divine providence,we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War.
We didn't fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government!

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't. So, take a few minutes this year while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember:

Freedom is never free.

Patriotism is NOT a sin.

And the Fourth of July has more meaning than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

And ... if you're traveling over the holidays, please drive cautiously and arrive safely.

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 07-04-2000 | 12:56 AM
I love my country, but I fear my government!
Happy fourth.
noelvm

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

Old 07-04-2000 | 03:50 AM
Here's a nice way to start the 4th of July: I was coming home from a barbeque tonight in my Lightning, and got pulled over one street from my house. Cop asks me to step out of the car and conducts one of the DUI tests with his flashlight blinding my eyes. Makes me spread my legs and put my hands over my head, checks me, then he sits me on the curb, with my newly washed Lighting getting soaked by sprinklers, and my neighbors driving by thinking I've done something wrong. I had done NOTHING wrong, not ONE thing. After finding that I am not under the influence, the Cop asks if I am high or stoned. His OWN PARTNER is asking why was I pulled over! They both know my house is right down the street!

This is total BS, I was completely sober, and now he is searching my truck because he says my passenger was acting suspicious! Of course he finds absolutely NOTHING, and after 30 minutes of sitting on a curb while my neighbors drive by, he tries to smooth it over by saying even if I got a ticket it wouldn't have been a big deal (can you believe that?), and "thanks for your cooperation and honesty."

I replied "yeah thanks for making me look like a criminal in front of my neighbors."

His partner says "just tell em it was a bunch of bonehead cops."

I say "well do I get a free car wash now that my truck is all wet?"

The cop that pulled me over laughs and says "oh it's just water."

Yeah Happy 4th of July Mr. po-LICEman!! Go find a real drunk driver not just some young guy in a nice truck! And next time you take everything out of an innocent person's vehicle put it back where it was!

Mike (feeling a little better now)

Quick Reply: Non-Lightning, but worth reading