Lightning

How much trouble to change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2000, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much trouble to change...

Go easy on me here guys,I am NOT the truck/car guys/gals that most of you are,so this may sound crazy.
How much trouble would it be to change wheel and tire size...Permanently?
I know this is a radical thought that could get me drummed off of this board,but...
I know you would have to change the computer(Sal???) and the speedo and I'm sure a whole myriad of things I probably haven't thought of,but I am curious as to what this would entail?
I realize that some of you drive your L's all yr in inclimate weather(ie snow) and had to change to smaller wheels/tires,and most do the same for running at the track,so how complex an undertaking would this be,and how much would this affect the trucks performance?

You are probably asking "Hitman,why do this?",I was thinking about tires,tires,tires. Easier to find tires,cheaper to buy tires.Easier to find slicks,easier to buy slicks.Easier to find snow tires,and buy snow tires(not for me,but for you guys).
Thanx for the input,positive or negative in advance,

Hitman

Old 07-04-2000, 12:26 AM
There are some great options in tires especially if you are looking for a long mileage tire if you swithch to 16 rims. However finding one that is close to our OD and won't mess up your speedo is a challenge. Most of these tires will handle great on the L unless you are into cornering at max gs. They will fill the wheel wheel better and I think look better. I have found the perfect Pirelli that has a hardness good enough for 60k miles and at about 60% the cost of the F-1. The tire is Scorpion zero P285/65R16. It is the only Scorpion zero (except for p255/65R15) that has a UTQG Rating of 420. All other tires in this series have a UTQG (HARDNESS) rating of 300 which is the same as our F-1s. The OD of this tire is 30.6" verse 28.5" for our tires so if you use this tire your speedo will be off slightly although it would seem that you could get one of Sal's new multi program chips and have one setting for this tire. All the load and other specs exceed the specs of the F-1 except speed rating. this Scorpion is an H speed rating which is less than the F-1s. (Personally I have lived long before tire speed ratings came into being and believe they are a conspiricy between the government and insurance companies to put top end limiters on cars. I personally am willing to take the above tire and put it on my L tomorrow and go 140 with it. I believe any tire can stand that speed if only there for a short period of time and I know of nowhere that I can drive at 140 for longer than maybe 20 seconds without running up on traffic. (H speed rating is 130 MPH). This tire sells for $153.00 at tire rack the last time I checked.
noelvm

------------------
99.5 Red Ligntning, Syn Oil, Eldebrock 5512 muffler, BFG drag radials, Bugflector, G&H Lens covers,
70 Vette LS-6

Old 07-04-2000, 05:59 AM
Sounds like one way to lessen the financial impact of new tires but I wonder what the traction qualities would be in a straight line?

Old 07-04-2000, 06:24 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Why not try to fit tires that came with the first gen Lightning? Didn't that thing handle better than these? I know one of you guys put 15 inch rims on these lugs (BaBolt?), but the pattern is different.

I have studded 235/70R17 on a set of steel rims. That really fills the fenders. I also had those tires over 100 a couple of times. Don't ask.

BTW there is a black 93 for sale up here for $7500. Its a steal. Either 63k or 73k miles.

Old 07-04-2000, 11:17 AM
Thumbs up

Noelvm,
Thanx for the info.What you had in your reply was precisly the kind of answer I was hoping for.I'll be due for new tires in the next three months or so and I am not looking forward to purchasing new F1's(not that I can't afford them),$225+ sh+ mounting and balancing...Anyway
I'll look into what you have suggested(by the way are you running on F1's?),and I'd like to hear a few others opinions on this matter before I run out and do anything that will seriously affect my truck.But so far it sounds promising.
Thanx again,
Hitman

Old 07-04-2000, 05:28 PM
Talking

Certainly, the higher the UTQG rating the harder the tire and therefore less traction. A sacrafice that is worth it. Do your racing at the strip and have a set of drag radials. The MT are the best we have experimented with so far. I am on the last legs of my F1s. The only reason I may replace them is I may get them for 100 a piece. No, I can only get one set, no there not hot. It's kind of a brother in law deal. Otherwise I go with the Pirellis.
noelvm

Old 07-05-2000, 03:27 PM
The first gen L had a 17" wheel, very similar in appearance to what ford puts on the STX. Tire size is 275 60 R17 and the speed rating is H. Firestone, Goodyear, and Yokohoma all make tires in this size, I think there are other brands available.

Tim

Old 07-05-2000, 05:09 PM
I have 22K so far on my original F1's so far, I can't believe that I have made it this far. I must have rotated them at least 8 times by now.I call them the shaved F1's

SpiroTEAM PSP

Old 07-05-2000, 07:04 PM
Talking

I had a gen I and the Firestone Firehawk tires that came on it would go 50,000 miles but were absolute s@#t in the rain. You couldn't safely drive over 50 mph. Everyone I talked to had damn near had a wreck in the rain on those tires. Really bad.....
noelvm

Old 07-05-2000, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,
The 17's from the Gen I's won't work will they? Different bolt pattern isn't it?
I'm leaning towards the 16's Noelvm suggested,though I am still undecided,pretty much like everything I think of changing on my L.
Noelvm,
How much of a traction problem do you forsee in a street light to street light match up on those Pirelli Scorpions? I only hit the track once a month(on avg) and have done most of my draggin on the street,though I am currently on hiatus.
Thanx again,
Hitman

Quick Reply: How much trouble to change...