Lightning

Anyone know if a Superchip voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006 | 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
In answer to your question.. NO.

A Chip / programmer alone will not void the warranty. The manufacturer has the burden of proving that the non-oem part CAUSED or was the proximate cause of the failure.

Ford cannot void a warranty because the PCM board is scraped clean. If they tried to do that to me, they would be spending 10 times the amount of the repair on attorney fees.

However, my '99 has been out of warranty for some time.
The dealer can and will void the warranty for ANY reason
Once they eneter ANY reason in the Oasis system you are screwed
Lawyer or no lawyer
Do you think that you have more $$ than Ford ?
Your truck is broke they refuse to pay to fix it - you still have to make payments on it while they sit on the case for months...
Who wins ?

Old 07-27-2006 | 01:35 PM
Ford cannot void a warranty because the PCM board is scraped clean. If they tried to do that to me, they would be spending 10 times the amount of the repair on attorney fees.
Not everyone has the money, time or patience to do that.

Old 07-27-2006 | 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by captainoblivious
Not everyone has the money, time or patience to do that.

all they have to do is have the ford engineer who programed it say it was caused by a computer related issue and your screwed. once you flash it back to a stock program your trying to cover up the fact it was modded then the proof is on you

Old 07-27-2006 | 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by SRTthis
actully programers are no better then chips in its ablity to control the trucks computer. anything you can do with a programer you can do with a chip minus the data logging functions...
Really, explain how i change my shift points myself with a chip?

Old 07-27-2006 | 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Silver_2000
The dealer can and will void the warranty for ANY reason
Once they eneter ANY reason in the Oasis system you are screwed
Lawyer or no lawyer
Do you think that you have more $$ than Ford ?
Your truck is broke they refuse to pay to fix it - you still have to make payments on it while they sit on the case for months...
Who wins ?
1. If the dealership voids a warranty for any reason they are in breach of contract. The aftermarket part must CAUSE or be the proximate cause of the failure.

2. More money than ford? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but since I am an attorney, I know how expensive discovery can be, especially against an automotive manufacturer that may or may not have a history of voiding warranty's at will. That will require a significant amount of discovery.

3. Payments? Yeah.. it's been paid off for a long long time.

4. Who wins? Well I put about 3,000 miles on my truck last year, and I"m on schedule to do the same this year. I drive the truck from Mid-May until September. So they have plenty of time.

5. who wins? Well all you need is one case that shows Ford cannot at will void a warranty and the flood gates are open.

Food for thought:
How many vehicle warranty's do you think Dealerships/Ford have voided for BS reasons? If I put a chip on my vehicle, drive it 10,000 miles, remove the chip, drive it 10,000 miles and then it fails do to a mechanical issue. Please explain how the chip I had installed caused the mechanical issue. Oh wait... Don't just explain it, PROVE IT to a jury.

Now I know you are going to respond, because you always have to put your 2 cents in when I make a post. If you're lucky, I'll respond.

Old 07-27-2006 | 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by RustySocket
Really, explain how i change my shift points myself with a chip?
the program gives you the ablity to do it yourself. it also allows you to changes your tuners settings... do you trust yourself to play with a tune from your tuner and not mess it up?

Old 07-27-2006 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by SRTthis
the program gives you the ablity to do it yourself. it also allows you to changes your tuners settings... do you trust yourself to play with a tune from your tuner and not mess it up?
Do I trust myself? Absolutely. It's not rocket science. If I break it so what, I'll fix it. I am sure not going to try to hide the facts and get someone else to pay for it. I have taken my truck in with all the mods on it, nothing was ever said. Is my warranty void. I don't know nor do I really care.

You made a blanket statement regarding chips vs tuners. Lets not turn this into a pissing match about my tuning capabilities.

Old 07-27-2006 | 04:58 PM
Do I trust myself? Absolutely. It's not rocket science. If I break it so what, I'll fix it. I am sure not going to try to hide the facts and get someone else to pay for it. I have taken my truck in with all the mods on it, nothing was ever said. Is my warranty void. I don't know nor do I really care.

You made a blanket statement regarding chips vs tuners. Lets not turn this into a pissing match about my tuning capabilities.
Did someone mention a pissing contest? I'm up for it.

Old 07-27-2006 | 05:20 PM
In answer to your question.. NO.

A Chip / programmer alone will not void the warranty. The manufacturer has the burden of proving that the non-oem part CAUSED or was the proximate cause of the failure.

However, my '99 has been out of warranty for some time.
Boy you sure make it sound easy. Too bad that's not the case.

Old 07-27-2006 | 05:52 PM
Food for thought:
How many vehicle warranty's do you think Dealerships/Ford have voided for BS reasons? If I put a chip on my vehicle, drive it 10,000 miles, remove the chip, drive it 10,000 miles and then it fails do to a mechanical issue. Please explain how the chip I had installed caused the mechanical issue. Oh wait... Don't just explain it, PROVE IT to a jury.

Now I know you are going to respond, because you always have to put your 2 cents in when I make a post. If you're lucky, I'll respond.
Its called my opinion
This is a forum where we share them. Im not going to hold my breath for you to respond.
In my opinion you are not the first Atty to attempt to face ford on these issues. Ford has VERY likely faced this hundreds if not thousands of times yet the process at the service counter hasnt changed.

Ill stick with what I originally said - its TOTALLY up to the service writer.

Old 07-27-2006 | 06:26 PM
I purchased a '06 PSD from a local dealer last month. I happen to notice that the service counter also sold programmers for it. He went on to explain the benefits of having one on a diesel. They also sell exhaust and other performance parts and the salesman encouraged me to buy some mods as part of the sale. They said as long as I bought the mods from them, had them installed by their tech that they would honor the warranty. My guess is that they profit enough from it that they offset their costs of in house repairs if something goes south and corporate won't cover it.

They were willing to put it in writing with the stipulations noted above.

To the origional poster. If you are concerned with your warranty and aren't willing to suck it up if you break it leave your truck stock.

Old 07-27-2006 | 06:29 PM

The pen is mightier than the law. It all depends on what the service writer/manager wants to do. If they want to fix it and not tell Ford, good for you. If they want to fix it and charge you for it and not warranty it, that's not too bad either. If they want to report mods to Ford, they can do that as well. Ford can choose to void the powertrain warranty if they like. I had it happen to me on my 99, but I used my connections (and the fact that my I/C dumped gallons of coolant into the motor) to get it removed.

If the dealer isn't mod friendly... find another dealer. You are not likely to win anything if you fight it.

Old 07-27-2006 | 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
The pen is mightier than the law.

"I'll Take the pen*s mightier for 400!"

not to crap in anyone's cheerios but this thread has already gone down the drain... any celebrity jeopardy fans around here?

Old 07-27-2006 | 11:50 PM
One has other weapons to use against Ford than lawyers:

Consider the B.A.R. they are an advocate for the consumer.

Also, Small Claims Court..no lawyers allowed AND they are also a consumer advocate.

Leon

Old 07-28-2006 | 08:37 PM
|
I purchased a '06 PSD from a local dealer last month. I happen to notice that the service counter also sold programmers for it. He went on to explain the benefits of having one on a diesel. They also sell exhaust and other performance parts and the salesman encouraged me to buy some mods as part of the sale. They said as long as I bought the mods from them, had them installed by their tech that they would honor the warranty. My guess is that they profit enough from it that they offset their costs of in house repairs if something goes south and corporate won't cover it.

They were willing to put it in writing with the stipulations noted above.

To the origional poster. If you are concerned with your warranty and aren't willing to suck it up if you break it leave your truck stock.

Dambit,
I was hoping that the answer was black and white....Thanks for the input though guys...Decisions decions!!!!!
wigginwilly00

Quick Reply: Anyone know if a Superchip voids warranty?