Lightning

Anyone know if a Superchip voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:29 PM
|
Anyone know if a Superchip voids warranty?

I just recently bought a 03 lightning with low miles. I traded this BEAST in with my old Lariat which had a compatible 1715 Superchip... My question is, will this void my warranty? If I ever decide to take it in, I could return it back to the stock setting. Can they or will they be able to tell if this chip has been implemented onto my trucks sytem, even if set it back to stock????

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:07 PM
Trash/sell the chip. Chips are Stone Age Technology. Get a Programmer and a custom DYNO tune. Your truck will thank you for it.

I suggest SCT XCAL2 or Predator. (which ever your tuner prefers)

Good Luck!

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:08 PM
oh, and the programmer stores your stock tune, so you can flip back to stock if you need to take it into the dealer.

Old 07-27-2006 | 06:04 AM
The dealers dont play fair,

I blew up my engine 2 times.
each time my truck was at the dealer for over a month.
The explaination was that they wanted to see if it was chipped or they would void the warrenty.
I have a programmer and removed the program.
They didnt say that they would look at the engine and see if any mods contributed to the problem,they were going to void the warrenty if they found a chip.
Why a month no idea.

Old 07-27-2006 | 06:17 AM
Obviously there will be visible signs of a chip since the contacts on the pcm board has to be cleaned off so that epoxy stuff will be missing.

With a programmer, if you re-uploaded your stock tune prior to taking it in for service they would be able to see that the program upload date does not match that of the assembly date of the truck.
Ford/service dept. could look through service history / oasis report and see if it was reflashed per previous service dept. work but if they don't see a legit history on why the dates don't match they could null the warranty.

Old 07-27-2006 | 08:32 AM
1715 is not a chip, it is a tuner with canned tunes. It can not be detected by the dealer if you return it to stock whenever you bring it to them.

Old 07-27-2006 | 08:57 AM
you guys are ****in stupid...

chips and programers both can be detected. the computer keeps a record of the number of times its been flashed. if that number does not show the same number as the oaisis record your warrenty will be voided. most dealers dont go threw the trouble since its a little bit of work to access these records from the stock computer.

Old 07-27-2006 | 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Falcon11
Trash/sell the chip. Chips are Stone Age Technology. Get a Programmer and a custom DYNO tune. Your truck will thank you for it.

I suggest SCT XCAL2 or Predator. (which ever your tuner prefers)

Good Luck!

actully programers are no better then chips in its ablity to control the trucks computer. anything you can do with a programer you can do with a chip minus the data logging functions...

Old 07-27-2006 | 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by SRTthis

chips and programers both can be detected. the computer keeps a record of the number of times its been flashed. if that number does not show the same number as the oaisis record your warrenty will be voided. most dealers dont go threw the trouble since its a little bit of work to access these records from the stock computer.
No reason to go off

ANYTHING can and has voided warranties - from Airfilters to 20" rims - It all depends on how much of a jerk your dealer decides to be...

PS - You are not allowed to have commerical banners on your Sig

Old 07-27-2006 | 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Silver_2000
No reason to go off

ANYTHING can and has voided warranties - from Airfilters to 20" rims - It all depends on how much of a jerk your dealer decides to be...

PS - You are not allowed to have commerical banners on your Sig
sorry bout the sig... i just copyyed it from all the other forums im on...

but its just getting on my neves every one telling people bad info about the programers. saying they dont void warrenty's.

Old 07-27-2006 | 10:07 AM

I disagree with that, at least on the dealer level. There is no way for the dealer to tell if a PCM has been reflashed if it's been restored to stock. There's nothing on the NGS or WDS that can give a dealer tech that kind of information. And I've run thousands of OASIS' in my time and have never seen anything on them that gives info to show if a PCM has been reflashed.

Now if the PCM is sent back and checked by Ford, that may be a different story. I'm sure the programmers could tell somehow.

Old 07-27-2006 | 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
I disagree with that, at least on the dealer level. There is no way for the dealer to tell if a PCM has been reflashed if it's been restored to stock. There's nothing on the NGS or WDS that can give a dealer tech that kind of information. And I've run thousands of OASIS' in my time and have never seen anything on them that gives info to show if a PCM has been reflashed.

Now if the PCM is sent back and checked by Ford, that may be a different story. I'm sure the programmers could tell somehow.

sal..

this is something that rick was able to pull up with his NGS tool at the shop...

then one of the ford service managers said ford has a record of relashes preformed by ford.

Old 07-27-2006 | 10:37 AM
sal..

this is something that rick was able to pull up with his NGS tool at the shop...

then one of the ford service managers said ford has a record of relashes preformed by ford.
If that's true, I'd love to know the procedure to do that, because I've never seen it.

On the reflashes Ford keeps a record of reflashed performed by FORD, not the end user. That info comes from when you load an updated flash in with the WDS, it's logged with Ford. That's not info taken OUT of the PCM.

Old 07-27-2006 | 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
If that's true, I'd love to know the procedure to do that, because I've never seen it.

On the reflashes Ford keeps a record of reflashed performed by FORD, not the end user. That info comes from when you load an updated flash in with the WDS, it's logged with Ford. That's not info taken OUT of the PCM.

there was a record of flashed preformed to that computer. and as you said ford keeps a record of flashes preformed by ford. if the 2 records dont match...

id say call him and im sure he could walk you threw it but hes heading to mustang week

Old 07-27-2006 | 11:18 AM
In answer to your question.. NO.

A Chip / programmer alone will not void the warranty. The manufacturer has the burden of proving that the non-oem part CAUSED or was the proximate cause of the failure.

Ford cannot void a warranty because the PCM board is scraped clean. If they tried to do that to me, they would be spending 10 times the amount of the repair on attorney fees.

However, my '99 has been out of warranty for some time.

Quick Reply: Anyone know if a Superchip voids warranty?