Lightning

Big stereo in a Lightning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006 | 06:21 AM
|
Big stereo in a Lightning...

Im going to install a "big" soundstream stereo in my Lightning, but im not shur of how to do this. There are many ways to innstall a stereo and im looking for the cleanest and the best sounding way :-)... Iv got to 15" subbs.... shuld probably mount them in the back and make som ports trough the cab? The problem is that i need to 12" ports for these subs... So thats a big deal to cut out so big holes in the cab for some sound\"bump"..

Anyone hawe installed som cool stereo in their lightnings?

Old 07-29-2006 | 11:57 AM
Cut holes in the cab

PLEASE just stick to some 8-10's behind the seat, unless your planning on entering some competitions or something?

I'm about to gut out my brand new Z06 and stick one of Westcooast Customs Jackhammer subs in. That way I can claim the title of worlds heaviest sportscar!

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:06 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by Falcon11
I'm about to gut out my brand new Z06 and stick one of Westcooast Customs Jackhammer subs in. That way I can claim the title of worlds heaviest sportscar!
Mustangs are the heaviest sports cars know to man.

And maybe there is a way you could build a box, like mine, but just up in the front seat. Have two bucket seats, and a box in the middle. Honestly unless your spending like 2 grand on amps alone, 15's wont sound near as tight and clean as 12's or even 10's
-Patrick

Old 07-29-2006 | 02:51 PM
Please do us a favor and sell your truck before you start chopping it up.

Old 07-29-2006 | 04:31 PM
|
Well... this is how it is...

Im sponsored by Autocustom and Soundstream in Norway. So the amp is big and will make the earth shake with these to 15" subs... But im not so keen on chopping the trucks back wall just to get some rumble....

How big subs can i place behind the seats?

Old 07-29-2006 | 04:44 PM
My truck has 4 10's behind the seat while retaining the stock seat movements. I have JL 10 w 3v2's in mine also

Old 07-30-2006 | 08:50 AM
I use to install custom high-end car audio systems 15 yrs ago and at that time I had an S-10 that had two 18" subs mounted in a fifth-order enclosure in the bed. I had to cut the bed and the cab out to for the (4) 6" ports.

I used an according style of boot to connect the cab and bed where I cut it out.

FWIW,........ the system sounded absolutely awesome, and while sitting in the truck you'de think your soul would jump right out of your body when a big bass note would hit.

But,.......... I'm all done with kinda stuff and I'd NEVER cut the bed/cab out on one of my trucks again. It was cool at the time and I won a few stereo contest with it, but that was when I was in my early 20's. I've since wised up and wouldn't do that again for nothing. It really hurts the value of the truck if (and you know you will eventually) try to sell it.

Old 07-30-2006 | 09:44 AM
|
Originally Posted by 93whitelightnin
I use to install custom high-end car audio systems 15 yrs ago and at that time I had an S-10 that had two 18" subs mounted in a fifth-order enclosure in the bed. I had to cut the bed and the cab out to for the (4) 6" ports.

I used an according style of boot to connect the cab and bed where I cut it out.

FWIW,........ the system sounded absolutely awesome, and while sitting in the truck you'de think your soul would jump right out of your body when a big bass note would hit.

But,.......... I'm all done with kinda stuff and I'd NEVER cut the bed/cab out on one of my trucks again. It was cool at the time and I won a few stereo contest with it, but that was when I was in my early 20's. I've since wised up and wouldn't do that again for nothing. It really hurts the value of the truck if (and you know you will eventually) try to sell it.
Im aware of the value problem after cutting the cab... Im not going to do this. Im going to go for 2x12" ore 4x10" subs in the back of the seats. Earlyer owner used 3x12" subs from JBL i think. I just hawe to do som good work on the panels and doors so that it looks 110% and sounds even better...

Im thinking of installing the brand new 2xDIN Pioneer player... I guess this will need some cutting in the dash to fit? So if i sell the thing it has to go with the truck..... It costs around 35.000Nkr (About right under 6.000$...) So its not a cheap one... I think ill get a good sponsor price ... Maby considder Kenwood instead?

In the US, whitch head unit do you use if you dont use the cd shifter that comes with the truck? Tha hole is not 2xDIN is it?

Old 07-30-2006 | 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Grombil.com

In the US, whitch head unit do you use if you dont use the cd shifter that comes with the truck? Tha hole is not 2xDIN is it?

Im not sure what makes it a 2 x DIn or what but you cant fit 2 items in there i know that. so maybee its a din and a half

Old 07-30-2006 | 08:36 PM
its not about how much ridiculous large "look at me" crap you have in there, its the quality of it. i would NEVER 1) cut the cab 2) run a 15

its quality over quantity. go on http://caraudio.com , it is a GREAT audio resource, much better than f150online can ever be. ask about super subs like the RE XXX, stereo integrity Mag D2, soundsplinter RL-S, ascendant, and other models. one quality 12 will be enough. i run a single RE SE12, it smokes most of my friends stupid multiple sub setups in both sound quality and loudness.

pay a lot of attention to the quality of your audio equipment, the quality of your installation equipment, the accuracy and quality of your enclosure, and the quality of your install. a bad install or a cheap box will make an expensive woofer sound like a cheap piece of crap

Old 07-30-2006 | 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Socal858
. . . one quality 12 will be enough. . . .
Agreed. If a single long-throw 12 can pressurize an entire living room enough to rattle the walls, it can sure as hell do the job in a tin can.

Old 07-31-2006 | 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Agreed. If a single long-throw 12 can pressurize an entire living room enough to rattle the walls, it can sure as hell do the job in a tin can.
i agree, my 12 flexes my windows, makes my CDs dance on my roof (although the dancing is reduced now with my sound deandener), and turns my friends bulemic

Old 07-31-2006 | 02:00 AM
Global Moderator &
Yea my 2 12"s pushed by 1200w and they thump the truck really well, the overhead console rattles to no end, and i agree, the sound deadener keeps most of the bass inside the truck. But i never had my subs installed without the sound deadener so i can really account for how much of an improvement it made, but i know its working.
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 07-31-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2006 | 03:59 AM
Go for Supa Size

I was thinking of going to Supa Size system for the truck with no cutting or chopping - I have decided to go for Outdoor Weatherproof Fairground speakers and fit them in the bed - not only will I have limitless space, but everyone can hear me miles away!! - I have not worked out to have them up right or flat on the bed.....

Quick Reply: Big stereo in a Lightning...