Lightning

I really just don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2000 | 10:57 PM
|
Question I really just don't get it...

Over the past few months, there has been a lot of "debate" concerning products and companies that are obviuosly my competitors. And that's to be expected. But lately it seems that the debates have gotten very nasty, especially towards PSP and myself. And I really don't get it. I founded the NLOC in the mid 90s, because I felt that the LCA (Lightning Club of America) was a total joke and that Lightning owners like myself deserved better. I set out to offer better, and I'd like to think that turned out quite well. I started making really neat stuff on my own truck, and I figured through my resources and my knowledge and abilities, I could offer these things to fellow Lightning owners to benefit from. Then as the NLOC grew, my product line grew with it as did the demand. Not being able to run the club and make products at the same time, I decided to turn the club over to a new owner and concentrate on what then became PSP. I have dedicated more than most of you will ever know to these trucks and thier owners. I have spent thousands of dollars sponsoring events so that Lightning owners could have some limelight. I carried on the Lightning torch when SVT dropped it like a bad habit. Now I come here, to F-150 online, an enthusiast always willing to help anyone. I offer to everyone products that are top quality with every aspect of a Lightning owners concern about aftermarket products covered. I have always put quality before anything, even making a sale. I bring to everyone a chip that 1) has proven itself to outperform every other manufacturer 2) gives overall improved drivability 3) has solved practically everyone's gear problems 4) has been calibrated to improve your truck's performancwe while maintaining safe levels of operation and 5) has put more people pn this board in the winners circle than any other brand. Yet every time a new "chip" comes out, all the "non-chip" owners immediately jump ship and go to it like wildfire. Not only that, but once a new chip thread gets started, the PSP bashing begins. What's up with that? Why is that fact that I like to offer anyone here a quality product that has proven itself time and time agian, a BAD thing? I don't get it. I'll tell everyone right now- in order to get more power from a chip other than the one I offer, it has to be calibrated to the point of danger to the truck. And I'll also say this- you will not find a chip that has been more refined at part throttle than my chip. Just ask any PSP chip owner. There's a reason why the guys who bought different brands all have the PSP still in their truck. The people who start all this are the ones who don't have my products, so how can they even speak from experiance? Sure I've had some people have problems, but you'll have that with any mail order chip. My "problem" chips aren't a fraction of the "big guys" chips. Man, the last thing I want to sound like is a whiner, but honestly, I really don't understand this whole situation.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP
Best ET 13.09 Best MPH 104.58mph Best 60ft 1.87
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, M/T ET Streets PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:13 PM
Banned
Boo Hoo.. Wa Wa Wa. Sniff, Sniff.... I suggest you try those carefree pads and I hear they even have the new "Breathable" pads for those hot summer days. I apoligized for badmouthing your product and said I was out of line. Remember Sal, you may think of your chip as a wonderful service to L owners, but you are also selling them for money and making a profit off these L owners as well. If you weren't making a profit, you wouldn't last long.
This all started when you decided to take it upon yourself to attack me a couple of months ago, Remember Sal? Ol' Mad` didn't and won't forget. That's not hardly good public relations. You are going through the same thing all the chip burners went through when the 4.6 came out in the GT's and Cobra's. They were deemed worthless over the years and now its just a dyno only mod and that's only to get the proper tuning for a supercharger application. Its just to keep the ***** from detonating. To bad you can't up the boost with a chip like on the Grand Nationals and T-Types of the late 80's.
No sense in whining about your counterparts. Get in there, fight, make the buck while you can, and in five years sit back on the beach in Tahiti with all the naked women and sip that $60.00 a bottle tequila. We are only here for a short time.
betty

[This message has been edited by betty (edited 07-05-2000).]

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:15 PM
I was gona post in the other thread but i figured more whould see it here. Well guys he is right. I dont have a chip, yet. But I have been invlovled with the family bussness all my life and i have found that the next peron wants the samething as the guy who was infront of him, but faster, better, and cheaper. People on this board like to talk about im not here to bash busseness ethics well there last post was! You guys also need to understand that small bessiness dont have the production numbers as a million+ dollar company. Alot of people who fibercate or even make stuff will tell you this If you want it done right then take your time otherwise if you hurry and push it it will be a halveass job and probley break or will not perform as good as the one you take your time on. And as for the call backs you people are Bitching about- hey it comes down to a small bussness and plus the guy works by day and DOSE THE PSP COMPANY BY NIGHT. So give the guy a ****ing break, and stop all of the bull**** post about him not getting back, if i remeber right he said in a previous post that his wife writes every message down in a book, and calls them then she write down if she talked to the, no answer or got a machine. So there is really no need for this bull**** pissing match to happen people, come to your sense`s on things. Justen

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:16 PM
This is the first time I have been on this board but have been reading for months. I have 4 chips and 2 99 l's to test with. I own a psp chip and swanson chip and tested them both. We have 1 truck highly modified running in the high 7's 1/8 and other closer to stock. There are several good chips out there and psp is 1 of them. We are running the swanson chip and mass air combo in our race truck and psp in our daily driver. sal if you read this how long is the turn around on sending the psp back and getting the new flipper?

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:24 PM
Sal,
Just a little insight from a new L owner and fairly new F150online MB Member. (I have been reading and researching for some time now.)

I didn't purchase your chip and other products because of the very same thing you are talking about. It seemed to me that every post I read in regards to someone elses products you or another PSP member bash the "BIG GUYS". "SAL IS THE GREATEST" is all I read. Props to you for all the hard work you have put into these trucks. Granted, You know much more than most of us could ever know about these lightnings but we have faith in the other guys too. If everyone had all of your stuff (PSP) it wouldn't be any fun and no one would be different. This board is like the the streets. Everyone is revving their engines about their products. I am proud to own the SHM chip and plan to buy more of their products. I didn't like the first impression that you portrayed on this board. Yes you had a lot of good things to say but I can remeber one post specifically about the other "GUYS" you posted. Something like this, (I didn't want to just throw something together) - In regards to the SHM Intercooler tank quality. Maybe not your exact words but thats how I remember it. But for you to say that everyone is picking on you is obsurd. You get more POSITIVE post on this site than Ford does for even putting this great Vehicle on the road so we can play with them and purchase your's ad other companies products.
This is not a bash on you or your Company, you are too respected in this industry to do that, but now you know how some of us might feel (at least me) and why some decide to make Negative posts . That is my time on the soap box.

------------------
- 2000 White Lightning -
- Adopted 6/7/00 -
- #???? -
* SHM Chip
* AirRaid Intake
* Dual Flowmaster 40
Series
* Front Clear Corners
* AutoMeter Boost Gauge
* Limo Tint
* Viper 600ESP w/ Pager
* APC Xenon Headlights
* Whistler 1605
* Ventshade Window vents
* Custom Plate on order:
4D LITNG
- Future...............
> SHM Blower Pulley, Mass Air Sensor, Intercooler Resevoir, Electric Fan Kit, Long Tube Headers,Full Exhaust
> Soft Tonneau
> Cervini Hood
> 2" Rear Lowering Shackles
> Bed Mat
> Upgraded Sound System
> 4.10 Rear

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:26 PM
|
Nickman, if you have one of my temp chips, I am contacting all those customers in order of shipment.

MAD, this post was not directed towards you. But of course it was a perfect post for you to let your pooh fly. The problem I had with you in the other posts, was that you just would not beleive anything anyone told you, even when proven wrong. It had nothing to do with you saying that chips don't work and tuners are theives, because you are the only one on this board who thinks that, so that really doesn't bother me.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, M/T ET Streets PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:26 PM
Thumbs up

I'm sure y'all all know the saying:
"Good Fast Cheap...Now pick 2"

As we (Aggies) would say, "Give em Hell, Sal!" You know what you got and you know that no one else can match it. Ignore the "naysayers" and keep up the good work.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:34 PM
Sal

I think it's pretty simple. You've got a product that people want and can't pump them out fast enough because you work full time and can't handle the load. That's is the reason people get frustrated. If you could supply everone with your product within a week or two, you would be the MAN!! If at all, I think a lot of presure would be lifted if you would just respond with one email per order saying that you got the order and a projected (not promised) date of ship, that's all. I got a confirmation number from your web site. But, I still have no idea if you actually got my followup email to say that I need a chip for my 2K L instead of a 99 L because I ordered on your web site that has only a check box for a 99. We are just too conditioned to get things we want very quickly; I think that's why people are pissed because the wait is so long. I know I'd be really bummed if I got my chip around winter time with the street fights and track racing days in the past and snow falling.

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:37 PM
Sal,
I think we all know that you have very high quality products on the market and/or working on some future products. The only complaints I hear about are customer complaints about bad service or no service. I'm a Radar Engineer for the FAA & I once ran a internet Mail order computer business on the side while working a 9 hours day, Well after a while I had so much business that I stop returning phone calls and e-mails because I could not get any computers built if I were to call or write all these customers back. After about 3 months the business went under due to my negilgence of not calling these potential customers back. With the internet word of mouth spreads quicker that any virus could ever spread. I still take service calls on some of the computers I built over 3 years ago but I haven't received a penny from the business in over 2 years, think about that one. I will be the first to admit that your air filter is the best mod for the buck that anybody can buy for their Lightning and is dearly worth the wait. I would have bought your chip if it was available but you had none available when I purchased mine last Aug. I don't think you understand the situation because your on the other side of the fence, just put your self in our shoes.
Example: You called in to order a Valentine1 Radar detector but had some questions before you spent 399.00 on this device. The voicemail answers your call and you leave a message. Then you also write an e-mail asking the same questions but never get a reply. Then your on this message board about radar detectors & you see that Mike Valentine has been answering questions about how all the competitor radar detectors are junk but he didn't have time to answer your questions that you left him on e-mail or voicemail a week ago, I sure wouldn't buy his detector even if it was the best detector money could buy. Sorry so long but that how I see the situation and I do hope and plan to buy all the great mods you develop for these fascinating machines

Good Luck,
Terry

------------------
99.5 Factory Red Clearcoat, Chromed SVT rims, Polished Billet Grills, F1 Cobra Hood, Color matched Lo-pro snuglid, clear corner lenses & tailights, superchipped, sal air filter, Bel-tech 3/4 lowering kit, okole seat covers (red), rhino liner, color matched muth mirrors, 25 piece REd carbon fiber dashboard kit, JBA headers and V1 radar detector.
BTW-Some secret stuff...
Completed on 4/21/00.
Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 07-05-2000).]

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:40 PM
Hey, Sal - Mark here. I for one have been following this performance chip craze as you have, however my reasoning is obviously different than yours. I might need a good chip for a Lightning in the near future, so I have began reading and listening to others. Unfortunately, I am now a bit confused, since I have watched some members expound on the gains of a particular chip, then within a few days/weeks attack the same manufacturer after trying a competing product. After reading the postings I think some of the problems can be traced back to tuners/chip burners who in their haste to capture a share of the market end up over-tweaking the chips to a point where there exists little balance. They either shift too hard, run too lean, create a surging effect, etc. etc. etc. I'm sorry, but I want a chip that works every time, is tuned for performance but also allows me to drive the vehicle for extended periods without hesitation, surging, starting problems, etc. etc. I also don't want to suffer a case of whiplash while on the way to work......I also think some of the problem comes from chip burners who will take "owner requests" and sell the chip full-well knowing that the imbedded information will push the vehicle beyond its operating parameters, creating the situations I described above.

I think this is why the first words out of the Ford Tech's mouth is "do you have a performance chip installed on the vehicle?"

I, for one believe in brand loyalty to a certain extent. I also listen to (and believe) some, more than others. I still believe you build/produce a good product, and will be contacting you as soon as my plans materialize. Thanks for hanging in there, and as always thanks for the free performance tips, troubleshooing advise and other misc. pieces of information you have provided the membership.

By the way, who is this "Betty Boob" character?

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:41 PM
|
DUCK, I hear ya. But I can't look at it that way. I strive to make my products the BEST. When I send a product to a customer, I want the satisfaction of knowing that person will be totally satisfied and cannot buy a better product. I don't want "naysayers", I want eveyone to have the best and be happy.

SHM-SVT, I totally understand your post and thank you for your reply. My train of thought is that if PSP stuff is proven in every aspect of owner satsifaction, why second guess it? I have no problem with people like yourself who are happy with other brands. If you are happy, that's all that matters. But I know my stuff is better, and some people will never know that first hand.

BadBolt, your point is well taken, and something that I have really been trying to improve. I am getting a new house soon, and I really think this new place will allow me to really do more at night.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:45 PM
I don't want step in and defend sal, he's a big boy, we all know his heart is in these lightning trucks. With that said, you can all say competition is good and all that, but all the other companies out there are trying to make profit off of the high performance buyers and the lightning just happens to be one of those vehicles. Sal devotes 100% of his resources to our Lightnings, he helps us out when we need help, he's able to be reached on this board, and he's one of us.
Being a business owner myself, I can't imagine how many calls and e-mails Sal get everyday. How would all you people like to come home at the end of a hard day of work and deal with lifes other problems, and get bombarded with dozens of e-mails and phone messages, and try and get a product out on top of all that? For the life of me I can't see why he does it, considering the way we all cry when our filter, chip or whatever els didn't show up two days after we order it.
I for one would like to thank Sal, you have always helped me when I needed it and have shown it by buying your products, and will continue to support you every way possible.
P.S. Sal when are you going to send me my 4 position chip? (just Kidding)
Hammer away at me all.
Brian Groth

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system
2-2000 arctic cat zr440 snopro's
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
99 chev c1500 pickup
2000 red Lightning on order 2-14-00, Built 5-3-00

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:52 PM
Banned
Unhappy

But that's just it Sal, I have NOT seen any verifiable proof. All I have seen is a timeslip from someone who no-one on this board knows, met, or raced with. I gotta Viper in the garage too, do you believe me, or should you belive me, I think not? Do you believe every 1/4 mile timeslip claim you see on the internet? I doubt it. The person that made the claim could not back it up. Come to find out he was the biggest troublemaker on this board till ol' Mad` showed-up and called his hand. 13.2 on a stock truck with stock tires and K&N replacement filter and a chip? NOT!!! And you know it Sal.
Mad`(letting poo fly)Marvin

Old 07-05-2000 | 11:53 PM
Okay, so I'm a bit slow tonight...I supported your thoughts Mad in the beginning, but your position here is simply an attack on Sal's credibility and character. If your goal was to alienate yourself in the future, I believe you achieved your objective.

Old 07-06-2000 | 12:09 AM
Sal,
Your solution is simple. Raise your prices 25 to 50 bucks for each item. Then use that extra money to hire someone part time or full time to answer emails and phone calls. Believe me, your customers will be thrilled to know that their orders are quickly confirmed.
------------------
Dave
93 Cobra all stock 39000 miles
1999 F150 Lariet
1998 Cobra (sold)
1996 Cobra (sold)
2000 Blk L 1500miles. airaid filter

[This message has been edited by SVTDAVE (edited 07-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SVTDAVE (edited 07-06-2000).]

Quick Reply: I really just don't get it...